PDA

View Full Version : Video editing on a laptop?

Mike
07-06-2004, 12:15 PM
I've been asked to comment on some quotes for some computers. Amongst the quotes are several for a machine to be used mainly for video editing (the person who asked for the quotes wants a laptop to do video editing on).

My first thought is that a laptop probably isn't the best option for video editing. Is that right? Or would a laptop be sufficient?

Firstly, processor/GPU power in a laptop - is that something I need to look at? (I've never had a laptop, so I'm not too familiar with what's available in them).
What about HDD speed - most list 4200rpm 2.5" drives, while most desktop HDDs are 7200rpm. That would be an issue wouldn't it?

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Are video specs upgradeable in a laptop? Can you get laptops that use video RAM that's seperate from main RAM?

Hopefully people can get back to me soon, as I've been asked to comment on the quotes by tonight.

Mike.

Susan B
07-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Metla is into video encoding - have a look at what he says here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=47970&message=277496&q=asus#277496). :-)

Lohsing
07-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Video editing on a laptop?? I probably wouldn't bother... a laptop is designed for mobility, and definitely not for intensive tasks such as video editing and gaming.

Lo.

Lohsing
07-06-2004, 12:35 PM
> Video editing on a laptop?? I probably wouldn't
> bother... a laptop is designed for mobility, and
> definitely not for intensive tasks such as video
> editing and gaming.

Actually... you can use it for anything, but you probably won't be as satisfied with its performance as you would be with a grunty desktop.

Lo.

metla
07-06-2004, 01:55 PM
What Lo says is certainly true, You could easily build a video editing/encoding desktop system that will easily outperform a laptop.

Thinking the latest P4,a couple s-ata drives, at least a gig of ram, an expensive motherboard

However, A laptop is all about compromise, If the right unit is purchased then one can get themselves a machine that will give excellent results and still have the mobility factor, As to the machine I referred to in the earlier thread, That imo is an excellent unit but if budget allows you can get far more powerful laptops with higher specs in every regard, Faster harddrives are available in the higher end units, as is faster ram and everything else.

All a matter of weighing up the options, and whether you want to spend more to enable the user to shave some time off the tasks they intend to use it for.

Breezzee
07-06-2004, 06:00 PM
I find that my laptop (hp pavilion) does video editing & ripping DVD's just fine. Might take a few mins longer but the results are the same. Been very pleased with the results.