PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless house networking

static
07-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering how much a wireless network in the house would cost and how i would go around configuring it. By this i mean, a wireless connection between my pc, music system, and later on, my laptop. I hope to add more appliances to this list and make my home a lot cleaner lol (currently i have wires and cables going all through my house). Any help with prices, what kind of music system i would need to stream music from my pc etc would be much appreciated.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Cost really depends on the speech at which you want your network to run at: Available in 11/22/54/105. You will need a PCI Network card for the PCs, PCMCIA Netword card for laptops. And then an Access Point to join them all up :D

For latest pricings on different hardware, visit http://www.pricespy.co.nz

godfather
07-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Speed falls off VERY quickly over distance.

Don't assume that distances over 20 - 30 metres will be easily or reliably attained through house walls, just because the wireless specs suggest so.

Define your "music system"? Thats a very broad term.

Most stereo systems are not networkable, so this would mean yet another wireless system, to stream audio. These are available but watch the frequency used. Often they are also 2.4 GHz and you will immediately reduce the effectiveness of a 2.4 GHz network.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-06-2004, 03:37 PM
> Define your "music system"? Thats a very broad term.

Indeed, I think you need to provide us for more information as to what you want to do exactly.

static
07-06-2004, 04:48 PM
well, i wanted a wireless connection between my stereo system and my pc so i would be able to stream songs from my pc to my stereo system. That way i wouldn't have to burn a mp3 cd every time i wanted to listen to some different music on my stereo system. I don't mind buying another stereo system for this purpose, i just don't know which one I should buy because I'm new to all this wireless stuff lol.

static
07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Sorry for the double post but i was wondering if you guys could forward me to a webpage on all wireless terms and stuff cause i have no clue what 2.4ghz is lol. Also, i've heard a lot of things about WiFi but i have no clue what that is either. I think that Wifi is some wireless connection, but what it does, how fast it is, what range it has etc i have no clue of.
Also, would bluetooth be good for something like this? My bluetooth connection between my phone and pc is pretty cool lol (thats the only wireless connection with my pc in the house lol)