PDA

View Full Version : CD Marker Pens

Merino
07-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Please can you answer a question for me. I would like to know if I can use ordinary marker pens for writing on burned CDís. I know there are special CD pens available, but just wondered why?

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Greetings,

Welcome to PressF1 :-)

Be careful what you write on CD's with. I personally prefer Permanent Markers, or (This being my first choice) Fine-nibbed Bic 'soft-grip' Permanent Markers. Ive got three sitting in front of me I use them so much.

You shouldnt use a normal Pen, that'll damage the CD. Some Felt-Tip pens are alright, but usually rub off.

Crayon? Never tried it personally but I cant see it being a good idea with little bits of crayon flying off inside the CD-RW Drive at high speed when reading/writing.

My advice:
Invest $3 in a good permanent marker next time you're out at Woolworths (Where I get mine) or wherever doing your shopping. It'll mark it permanently and give you piece of mind you're not damaging your Disc in any way :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

Jen C
07-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi Merino

As Chill said, you cannot use any sharp tipped pen as this will damage the surface of the CD. With solvent-based permanent markers, there is still doubt whether you should use these either if you are looking at very long-term storage of the disc. There is some interesting information here (http://www.mscience.com/faq508.html) and here (http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/tib4298.jhtml).

I play it safe by using alcohol-based permanent markers. You can get a pack of 4 different colours from Dick Smith Electronics for $12 - see here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XM5364).

Jen

Merino
07-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks to you both Chill and Jen for the useful information. I shall be investing in some of those pens on my next shopping spree.

Susan B
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
I bought my last set of CD marker pens from Paper Plus. They are Staedtler Lumocolor permanent CD markers, four different colours for around $14 I think they were. They came with a CD-ROM set which I had completely forgotten about and now cannot find. :D

They are really good pens though and have a nice solid case that turns into a stand-up box for easy access to the pens.

Hiren
07-06-2004, 11:57 AM
is vivid ok?

Susan B
07-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Vivid has been used on a few CDs in this house without any apparent ill-effects but I don't use them on my own backup CDs. Some of them contain solvents that I have read could damage the CD and I am not willing to risk that on my important discs, just in case.

Jen C
07-06-2004, 12:13 PM
>four different colours for around $14

That is the same brand that DSE has for $12 ... :p

Hiren>
As Susan mentioned, vivid would be OK ... but they do have a bit of solvent in them (this is why you shouldn't sniff marker pens). If the CD's are important, it doesn't hurt to get a pack of the non-solvent based markers.

Susan B
07-06-2004, 12:27 PM
> That is the same brand that DSE has for $12 ...

Oh well, it would have cost me more than $2 in fuel to make a special 5km trip to the nearest DSE store anyway. And I got some "free" CDs with them too. :-)

tbacon_nz
07-06-2004, 01:02 PM
I've got the Staedtler markers - they work well for me.

Tony Bacon