PDA

View Full Version : What music downloading app's?

Murray P
06-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I gave Kazaa Lite the boot some time back, mainly due to the crude that came in with game file downloads. Now my daughter wants to check out some music.

I know this is not going to be a new question but I figure that the world of P2P, etc, evolves pretty fats, so......

What do people find is the best music search and download software? Either windows or linux it doesn't matter to me although I realise there will be a much bigger user base for windows. Your opinions are welcome.

Cheers Murray P

Megaman
06-06-2004, 11:06 PM
there was an article about P2P networks last issue of PCW. Can't find a link on teh PCworld site though...

metla
06-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Soulseek.

Huge database of music.

Tiny client.

spyware and adware free.

Easy enough to use.

Downloads can take a while to start due to longish queue's.

Greg S
06-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Go back to Kazaa Lite - I never found a bad file yet. Perhaps try the filters to keep out the icky stuff

metla
06-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Kaazalite is useless if your after current music,which is what i would presume someones daughter would be after.

The music companies flood the network with false files,they are getting trickier and releasing them with different file sizes,file names and bitrates so its pretty much impossible get get what your after.

Case in point,Someone i know was after a song that has been in the charts recently,they managed to download 52 different copies of the song,and each one was a false file destributed by the record company.

Greg S
06-06-2004, 11:42 PM
> Kaazalite is useless if your after current
> music,which is what i would presume someones daughter
> would be after.
>
> The music companies flood the network with false
> files,they are getting trickier and releasing them
> with different file sizes,file names and bitrates so
> its pretty much impossible get get what your after.

Well as I said I never had a bad file yet. Then probably as you say it's more recent music that people have problems with. Kazaa Lite forums and help files assist in identifying dodgy files

Murray P
06-06-2004, 11:50 PM
I've downloaded SouldSeek for a look. nayone else downloading it be aware that the correct site is http://www.slsknet.org/ and not ww w.sisk. org which has been taken over by an unscrupulous individual who feeds you a dialer and some pop ups according to the official site.

Greg. Yes, I don't think we had any trouble with music files using Kazaa, just the software my son was downloading for games, etc.

Cheers Murray P

sam m
06-06-2004, 11:57 PM
I like Limewire (http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml) for linux. I actually prefer downloads from this over Kazaalite as it tabs each d/load request.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Try eMule for Windows, or xMule for Linux :-)

Jester
07-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Try DC++ (http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/). You connect directly to the person you wantto get the file off.

A list of NZ hubs to connect to are on the NZ Hub List (http://www.dc.nzgames.co.nz/hublist.php) try the Silver Surfer hub, no minimum share. Look in the forums on how to configure your connection.

No dud files yet from this.

J
:D

Murray P
07-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Have installed xMule which was already listed in Synaptic and grabbed Limewire for Linux for good measure. I'll check out DC++ tomorrow.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Chill, a couple of those servers looked less than savoury if you know what I mean. Could't see anywhere to block servers. There is a Safe connect checkbox in the Configure > Servers tab but I'm not sure what it does (I know, RTFM). Could do it in Guard Dog I guess.

Cheers Murray P

aronking
07-06-2004, 01:38 AM
I take it DC+, soulseek do not have any spyware on it

kiki
07-06-2004, 03:03 AM
WinMX is still superb for music.

Of course Protowall is your #2 choice for security when downloading stuff like that.

whetu
07-06-2004, 06:04 AM
<sarcastic reminder>Piracy is bad</sarcastic reminder>

Come on guys.. tsk tsk.. talking about the illegal distribution of copyrighted material *under his breath* even though studies have shown that downloading of music hasnt affected music that much, if at all.

Morals, ethics and WWJD? ;)

To answer your question aronking, no, DC++ does not have any spyware. Think of Direct Connect as IRC with better file transfer support and it's minus the tards, security flaws, archaicness and yadeyadeya

There's a few flavours of DC clients as well.. the one I'm using is a kiwi one called phantomdc which can be found here:
http://pdc.recoil.net.nz/

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I know some of the servers look really dodgy, but you're only using them as a Server, who cares. They still have lots of the files you want, and I never go searching for the 'other stuff' anyways.

Just forget the name and you'll never see it!

lagbort
07-06-2004, 09:39 AM
i currently use both kazaa lite k++ and warez p2p, i find warez is good for everything, not the hugest base of music but has all the new stuff. (warez is awesome for as the name suggests, not quite so legal software downloads) but like others i have never had problems with kazaa lite

Lohsing
07-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Not wanting to sound like a party pooper or anything, but I think we're treading a fine line with the rules, talking about this sort of thing...

Lo.

Greg S
07-06-2004, 11:04 AM
> Not wanting to sound like a party pooper or anything,
> but I think we're treading a fine line with the
> rules, talking about this sort of thing...
>
> Lo.

Nah mate. All we're talking about is legit uncopyrighted material - there's heaps of it on the Net

Murray P
07-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Copyrighted material, illegal, warez, treading a fine line!!! Did I mention "free", I don't want to pay?

Come now people, all I'm asking for is good search software with the opportunity to download files built in and of course I'll have my credit card ready if the need arises. Maybe Robo, BB or Mark could suggest something acceptable.

BTW. What would the legality of someone lending or giving me their music file be. If someone wants to lend (or sell) me their CD or LP there is absolutely nothing to prevent that happening. If I borrow in good faith that the lender has removed all traces of the file, what's the difference. Assuming of course that the copy is legit in the first place ;) Think about it, are 2nd hand record or book stores illegal, are private libraries illegal??

Cheers Murray P

metla
07-06-2004, 04:11 PM
The record company has tried quite a few times to get a law passed where they would collect royalties for sales of second hand albums/cd's/cassettes.

And we already know they have in the past(well the org in NZ that looks after such things) charged business owners for playing the radio and having customers hear the broadcast,I would love them to walk in my door...And i hope one day they do.

The mind boggles,next we will be charged for enjoying the aroma of freshly baked goods as we walk past a bakery.

Murray P
07-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Lol, Mets.

Yes the greedy so & so's want to double and triple dip. Trying to put a new spin on public broadcast in NZ. They'll have little people counters in the TV's or set top boxes soon and charge per seat to watch the (M$) Sunday feature. You'll have to shoo the cat, dog, and in our case the gold fish out of the room, out of ear shot as well, otherwise you'll be wacked in the pocket for them too.

I wonder how much actually ends up in the artists pocket. AFAIK, most is skimmed off by the labels et al before a dribble might find its way to the originator of the material. Nothing altruistic in their motives at all despite some claims to the contrary.

Trouble is, all this charging for recycled/purloined IP doesn't do a whole heck for innovation.

Cheers Murray P

metla
07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Indeed, Its a crooked path. Most artists who have sold albums in the millions are able to hammer themselves out a contract (after the first is expired) where they can get up to 7 cents per album sold.

All artists are also billed for the their album's, record company signs you up, throws away all your music, appoints a team to make you a product that they think will fit in with the market and can sell, Then they use your face to churn out some soulless personality devoid piece of crap and start shipping albums to the stores in large numbers (because the charts are defined by units shipped not by units sold)...then if it bombs your handed a bill for 2 million dollars.

Even if it sells your unlikely to get a cent after expenses and due to the industry making you take on an image and sound with a 5-minute lifespan your career is effectively over anyway.

The sooner the downfall of the major record companies comes about the better, the market has changed, their time is over.

zqwerty
07-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Check this for another nail in the record companies coffins:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/03/pocket_rendezvous/

Rob.

Rod J
07-06-2004, 06:57 PM
I gave up on Kazaa Lite some time again too. Too many corrupted music files. I switched to this completely free P2P program Shareaza (http://www.shareaza.com/?Version=1.8.11.2). I find it to be very good although not as fast to download as Kazaa unless what you're looking for is very popular. Haven't downloaded a corrupt file yet. It uses a much more stringent file checking/anti-corruption system than does Kazaa.

Breezzee
07-06-2004, 07:12 PM
I personally use ABC - Bittorrent Client, thou more used for movie downloads these days than music. Finding it hard to think of music to download lately..... :-)

willie_M
07-06-2004, 09:06 PM
The Direct Connect network is the best P2P system hands down. There are a number of NZ hubs or servers and the RIAA or RIANZ or anyone can't target it because the clients are open source - so if one falls, another will take its place. And as for the hubs - anyone can open their own one and set their own rules. Hell - I did once... on a 56k!

I prefer the aforementioned PhantomDC but their are lots of others such as DC++, oDC, MS++V, the list goes on and on.

The best new zealand server atm would probably be silver server. It used to be hosted on a 100mbit connection in the skytower!

Check out http://www.adzest.net/ for a larger list of NZ hubs.

Also, look at www.zeropaid.com for alternative p2p software.

Growly
13-06-2004, 10:38 AM
I had problems non-stop with kazaa lite. It's great, but the the authentication and clarification of files... sucks . I was downloading 5 files into 1, and hoping to get some sort of distinguihable rhytm at the end of it.