PDA

View Full Version : problem with zip file

colmack
06-06-2004, 05:54 PM
I’m used to receiving, uncompressing, and using zipped files, but yesterday when I tried compressing a file for the first time, it didn’t seem to work very well – the file (a Word document of 10 pages, including 11 screenshots) compressed from 3,843 Kb to 3,366 Kb – not very much smaller, and it still took an age to send using my dial-up connection.

Could somebody with more experience than me tell me what I did wrong? The document is an article for publishing in a web-based journal. The editor requested JPEG illustrations in a Word document, compressed in a zip file for sending.

The article is only 2000 words, so the problem must be with the screenshots.

I made the them by keying ‘Print Screen’ then pasting into Photoshop Elements. I saved the illustration in JPEG format. Elements allows a choice of 12 quality levels. I saved them at maximum quality. A typical file is 684 Kb at maximum quality level 12, and would be 193 Kb at ‘high’ quality level 8, or 115 Kb at ‘medium’ quality level 5, or 80 Kb at ‘low’ quality level 3.

The pictures were inserted into the document using Word’s Insert – Picture – From File... and navigating to my saved image.

I thought that using the highest quality level wouldn’t really matter, as zipping would compress it to a manageable file size. On the other hand, I don’t want to send poor images.

Advice, please?

tommy
06-06-2004, 05:58 PM
The .jpg files are already compressed so you will be unable to compress them much further. Most of the compression would have been for the Word document rather than for the images and it is doubtful you will achieve a smaller sized .zip file.

drcspy
07-06-2004, 07:22 AM
.bmp will usually compress about 90%

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Try some alternate compression such as .ace or .rar, as it may be better suited to the type of file you're attempting to send :-)

Chill.

Murray P
07-06-2004, 03:23 PM
For web publishing, the sreen shots should be saved as low quality in PhotoShop Elements. 3 or 4 on the quality scale would be fine. You could try the Save for the web function in Elements under the File menu or save as a PDF, in the File > Automation or Batch processing, I think (not in doze at the mo so can't look). Alhough, Elements will save this as a PDF slide show, if you open it in Adobe Reader 6 and esc out of the slide show it will be sitting there as a normal PDF with pages.

HTH Murray P

colmack
07-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Murray. I was hoping someone familiar with Elements would respond. The advice about quality was what I wanted - that's all I need to know. Ta again :-)