PDA

View Full Version : Linux (RH9 K2.4.20_8) and Dailup networking

beama
06-06-2004, 04:05 PM
downloaded the rpm for my hsf modem on my laptop, (hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt04051300full_k2.4.20_8-1rh.athlon.rpm) which installed with one my little problem (User should have been root, read the mannual I guess applies here "su" didnt work)
The modem is being reconised by the hardware wizard and allows me to setup a dailup account
ppp0
modem
ttys2 (should equal com 3 which is the com port the modem uses)
xon/xoff software control
account is enabled in network services as root and normal user
service is starting on boot
problem:
1. Cant find a shortcut to dailup networking nor figure out how to make one
2. When properties of the connection (isp) is set to automatic the following error message is dispalyed when lauching netscape, "cant find search.netscape.com ", this I understand, its not connected. listning for dailout tones on the phone just gets you the dailtone nothing else, no conection tones
I am proberly missing somthing really simple

Thank you in advance

Jen C
06-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi Beama

Are you using KDE or GNOME? I have KDE and I don't use a dial-up connection, but I just tried this and it brought up the dialup dialog box. Go ALT-F2 and enter in kppp and see whether you can connect with this. To make a nice shortcut on your desktop, right click on a spare space and select Create New > File > Link to application. Under the Application tab and in the command box, enter in kppp. You can also fill in the other field under General so that it says "Internet connection" or whatever. You can change the icon by clicking on the current icon displayed, and then select another one.

You can add a quick launch icon to your taskbar by right-clicking on a blank area on the bar, Add > Application Button > and then browse to the kppp listed in the menu (under Internet??).

If you are using GNOME, then this will not help, so sorry about that. I also have a more recent version of KDE so some of the wording in the steps may vary a little. Furthermore, I don't use dialup so could be way off here :p

If no one with GNOME (or the know-how anyway) shows up, I can always boot into GNOME myself and have a looksie there for a similiar procedure.

beama
06-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks Jen
I will give it a try later I use Bash,KDE and GNOME
The best part of dual boot is download in one os (fat32) then boot to RH and mount the other drive (done automatically in fstab now).
But I am afraid This Redhat dailup networking has become a challange and I dont give up on those easily

Susan B
06-06-2004, 05:10 PM
> If you are using GNOME, then this will not help, so sorry about that. I also have a more recent version of KDE so some of the wording in the steps may vary a little. Furthermore, I don't use dialup so could be way off here

It is pretty much the same procedure for GNOME. :-)

Susan B
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Also, if you go to Help it should sort you out with the missing bits. I think there might be a tiny little more to it than what Jen has suggested but as I said, the Help is very good. After all, I did it once. :p

beama
06-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Jen and Susan
yes there seems to be slight difference in versions but nothing too major.
as the title says "Linux Dailup networking connecting BUT..." when trying to venture out into the that big network of the world (world wide web) I get the following message from mozilla after the "resolving host www.redhat.com" I get "www.redhat.com could not be found, plese check name and try again"
Yes Susan The help files inclusive of "man" are very useful
I tried ping www.myisp.net.nz
no response
ping didnot even go out, just terminated and returned to the shell command line

Jen C
06-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Hmm ... how about trying to run kppp as root to make sure it is not related to permission issues. ALT-F2 enter in kppp then click on the options button and select "Run as a different user" and use root.

You should double-check all your settings - there is a nice user guide here (http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/kppp.shtml).

You are using kppp for this?

beama
06-06-2004, 08:51 PM
> Hmm ... how about trying to run kppp as root to make
> sure it is not related to permission issues. ALT-F2
> enter in kppp then click on the options button
> and select "Run as a different user" and use root.
when runing kppp from the shortcut you gave instructions on it asks for root login which I do. I will try what you suggest though.A note here the driver is crippled to 28k as it is a evaluation copy
> You should double-check all your settings - there is
> a nice user guide
> here (http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking
> kppp.shtml).
thank you for that
> You are using kppp for this?
yes

I have obtained and entered primary and secondary DNS for my isp into kppp configuration

beama
07-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Jen and Susan
Dailup networking working but only in GNOME so lookout KDE (ill proberly currupt settings knowing my luck :^O ).
For your information I think this driver is buggy as im getting the linux equivalant of the dreaded microsoft send me home please
so that may explain The problems im having under kde no such message there
I also recreated the ppp conection in network manager.
Thank you for your help

Jen C
07-06-2004, 12:32 PM
That is good to hear that you have your modem working now - well sort of :)

If you have a spare few dollars, I would really invest in a external serial modem. Linux loves them and you won't have any problems. This one here (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/1456vqe-c.htm) is great, but there are plenty suitable other ones.

beama
07-06-2004, 12:35 PM
oh Jen no fun

Susan B
07-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Nice one Beama. Who needs KDE anyway? :p :D

Flag the external modem too, just upgrade straight to an ADSL modem instead. They're a breeze to set up. ;-) :D

JohnD
07-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Beama - a minor point from your post that you may be aware of? There is a difference betweeen "su" and "su -". The first logs you in as root but without the full root user's environment. Putting the switch in gives the full environment.

beama
07-06-2004, 11:33 PM
John Thanks for that
Heres a scary fact that crippled linux driver ( 28 k I think max) downloads web pages in about the same time as my fully functional 56 k hsf win modem on the the other os xp pro (or is pressf1 optimised for 28k, runs and hides from Bruce and Robbo, and hopes they understand I was only joking, HONEST) ;\ ;\

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2004, 11:41 PM
$149 for an External Modem???

Ouch..

One of my customers from the CyberCafe reported having the cheap $12 Modem from QMB working in Fedora Core 1.. Internal Modem... $12... Vs External Modem... $149?

Then again, I suppose that's the price you pay to have it "easy" to setup :D

Chill.