PDA

View Full Version : Have I enough RAM ?

heaton
06-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Windows XP Home Edition. 256 MB Ram. HD only half full. Symtoms- unable to close down some programmes. Question: Could this be a symtom of not enough RAM ?
There is so much stuff loaded into Ram i.e. AVG, Zone alarm, something call Exif Launcher, Something called Active Board which all appear in the tray in the right hand bottom corner. The PC is a Packard Bell and BeLarc adviser tells me that the memory module is slot 1 empty and slot 2 256 MB. Before I go rushing in to get more RAM can anybody confirm that the above symtom is caused by lack of RAM. Appreciate some expert advice please. .............Heaton

kiwibeat
06-06-2004, 03:06 PM
more ram is always good with Xp but the problem lies in the programs you are running some get locked up and refuse to shut down

metla
06-06-2004, 03:13 PM
It aint ram.

Clean up your software enviorment.

heaton
06-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Ok please elaborate. How do I clen up my software enviromnment ?
Heaton

Susan B
06-06-2004, 03:39 PM
> How do I clen up my software enviromnment ?

Follow the suggestions in the forum's Maintenance FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41827). The FAQ will take a while to load so do be patient.

Let us know how you get on. :-)

heaton
06-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Thank you Susan I have printed out your info on your posting of 24/11/2003.
I will slowly work through this and try and follow. At 79 years of age I get a little bumfuddled with all that one has to do to keep things working and just cannot understand that if you are keeping all your security downloads up to date, have a virus protection installed as well as a firewall, then how the heck should I need spybots and ad aware things. Pretty soon the hard drive will be full of protection programmes and there will be no room for the software I want to use. It almost makes me feel like throwing the damned thing out the window and go smell the flowers. Thanks for the help anyway and I will box on. Cheers........Heaton

metla
06-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Because you connect to the internet,which like everywhere is rife with greed and dishonesty.

And because you use Internet explorer to do so.

To take the simple road.

Do a scan with spybot for nasties,then use its start-up tools list to disable just about everything.

The program will tell you which start up items are desired and which ones are not.

Susan B
06-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Yes, I know how you feel Heaton. :-)

You probably don't need all those adware and spyware detection programs loaded all the time if your usual browsing is to nice "safe" sites (like PF1) but when your computer starts playing up it is sometimes a good indication that something undesirable has sneaked on behind your back. That is why all those tools are then recommended.

If you never browsed the internet or used email you certainly wouldn't need all those tools but unfortunately there is a bit of risk when are online, no matter how careful you are.

It isn't always the internet to blame for problems though, sometimes software won't play nicely together or something important has been deleted or whatever. I have also seen programs installed into the wrong locations, like on the Desktop, which isn't a Good Idea. A lot can go wrong with a computer when people don't understand what they are doing. Just ask me about that someday. :p

Don't let it discourage you though, as the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and once you learn how to use the tools it will be no more difficult than changing the sparkplugs in your car. You do know how to change sparkplugs, don't you? :p :D

PS Be proud of yourself - my Dad is too terrified to sit in front of a computer without someone else driving it, never mind own one. ;-)

Apteryx
08-06-2004, 03:56 AM
Good for you Heaton. Ive got friends in their 40s who wont touch a puta. if youve found your way to this site youre doing great. And youll learn heaps from lotsa helpful bods here. So stay with it.