PDA

View Full Version : From Win XP Home to Pro

Scattershot06
06-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi,

I wanna switch from Win XP Home to Pro. Do I need to back-up all my data first???
If so, are there any alternatives to burning it all onto a stack of blank CD's???

Thanks,

tweak\'e
06-06-2004, 02:30 PM
i always wonder why anyone would want to change from XP home to XP pro.

if you have had it for a while it might be a good idea to do a clean install. burn all your data to disk or save it on another drive/pc. then format/install.

Jen C
06-06-2004, 02:36 PM
I didn't think you could do a 'upgrade' install of XP Home to XP Pro which is how you normally are able to keep all your documents/data etc. If you had XP Home, the only option is a fresh install of XP Pro.

Like tweak'e says, just save all your data to CD or a spare parition/disk. There is a FAQ on - How do I backup my important files which files should I back up? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25602) - which you should read first.

Scattershot06
06-06-2004, 02:58 PM
It takes very long for that article to load, it eventually timed out. Do you know any useful links on this topic?

Jen C
06-06-2004, 03:06 PM
> It takes very long for that article to load, it
> eventually timed out.

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that the FAQ's are rather slow loading. You can bring up that FAQ much faster by using the search facility. Click on Search above and enter in this:

Search Terms: how do I backup my important files
Date: any date
Username or User ID: Susan B

Then hit search. The very first link is the one you want and it should load nearly straight away.

lagbort
06-06-2004, 04:02 PM
of course you can do an upgrade install of xp pro over xp home, i have done it many times with no mishaps

Jen C
06-06-2004, 04:07 PM
> of course you can do an upgrade install of xp pro
> over xp home, i have done it many times with no
> mishaps

Ah ... thanks for correcting that. I must of got the wrong end of a stick somewhere :)