PDA

View Full Version : IE-6 ?

Mzee
06-06-2004, 01:46 PM
I keep on reading derogatory reports on Internet Explorer.
I have tried all the browsers & am very impressed with the latest Opera & Firefox - but I can't find anything wrong with IE6. It does what its suppose to do and is very forgiving of bad code.

Funnily enough IE6 runs on Xandros via "crossover" and gives better results than other "Linux" browsers. The font size is exactly the same as in Windows. The screen goes a bit funny on full screen (F11) but I suspect that this is a video driver problem.

Just what is so wrong with Internet Explorer?

tweak\'e
06-06-2004, 02:24 PM
>Just what is so wrong with Internet Explorer?

activeX. while it is very handy feature its system wide and is open to abuse hence a lot of IE hijacking.

missing some good features, tabs, open in background.

its temp internet file cacheing is horrible, slow and buggy.

overall its just bloated and slow.

have you tried opera 7.51 on linux? i havn't had time to try it yet.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
06-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Security holes for Africa.

It's a minimally featured browser, and due to the fact that damn near everyone on the world wide intarwebnet uses it, most sites have designed their trickery around it. Using IE you'll find dialers installing themselves on your machine, pop-up ads, new "toolbars" self installing amongst a host of other problems. Not so with the other browsers, undoubtedly they probably have their own flaws, however for the majority of dodgy sites, the "security by obscurity" of Firefox and the like is good protection.

IE has no inbuilt pop-up protection, you need a new instance of IE for every single page you want to view (no tabbing), it's generally a resource hog.

This (http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2003/10/15/comparing_mozilla_firebird_with_other_browsers.php ) is a reasonably interesting and amusing read about some of the differences between browsers - well worth the look.

dumdum
06-06-2004, 02:36 PM
You could always try Slimbrowser from Flashpeak.It's free and has all the good features that are missing in IE.

Jen C
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
>Funnily enough IE6 runs on Xandros via "crossover" and gives better results than other "Linux" browsers. The font size is exactly the same as in Windows.

I think Xandros has done some distro-specific tweaking of Mozilla IMO. There have been complaints of too smaller fonts (although this was mainly with the toolbars) before here. Try out Opera for Linux as Tweak'e suggests (there are debian packages available) or Firefox. Xandros only comes with one browser, Mozilla (well the standard edition only does) so it is a bit hard to judge the performance from that.

I think it is important that people are at least aware of the alternative browsers, so that it is really a free choice when it comes to choosing your preferred browser. :)

Mzee
07-06-2004, 09:35 PM
I have Opera 723 , Mozilla & IE6 on Xandros. IE6 works the best via crossover office, Opera 2nd & Mozilla last. I havn't tried Opera 7.5 yet.