PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my CD RW has died

Jester
05-06-2004, 07:00 PM
My ASUS CRW 5224A has stopped reading discs. It's 10 months old and fails to recognise any discs, the light just flashes and windows explorer says to insert a disc in D when I look there.

I will send it back to the supplier, however - has anyone had this happen in the past with this CD RW drive? Is it likely to be a dirty laser or something? Has Beetle been near it at all?

I hardly use it as most games I run off images, but of course today, when I needed to burn some apps on a disc, it goes belly up on me :(

J

Exwesty
05-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I had something similar happen to my ASUS writer also.

Cleaning the laser with a proprietary cleaner disc and solution had no effect at all, the writer refused to recognise that a CD has been inserted whether it be a blank one, a previously written one or a bought music one.
Disassembly and cleaning also had no effect.

But inserting a CD in the platter and blowing air from my mouth and then closing the door, GUESS WHAT it recognises a disc has been installed and I can do as i please until it's removed.
I believe this has something to do with the auto insert LED.

I also took the step of buying another writer $65 for a AOPEN 48x, whilst waiting for DVD drives to decrease and placed it in my backup pc.

Give it a try, just don't anybody else see you doing this to your PC ! LOL

Exwesty
05-06-2004, 10:35 PM
By the way if it is only 10 months old as you say then it's still under warrenty if the shop hasn't folded and your entitled to have it repaired or replaced.

Baldy
05-06-2004, 11:42 PM
> By the way if it is only 10 months old as you say
> then it's still under warrenty if the shop hasn't
> folded and your entitled to have it repaired or
> replaced.

It will still be under warrantee no matter what

Jester
06-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the advice, will get under the desk and give the CD a blow ... ummmm, sorry, blow into the tray :D

It had to happen on a Saturday morning during a long weekend when I needed it, didn't it!!

J
:D

Jester
06-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Blowing into it didn't work, all that happened was I felt dizzy when I stood up again!

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
06-06-2004, 12:16 PM
> Blowing into it didn't work, all that happened was I
> felt dizzy when I stood up again!

Thats the problem :D I recommend taking it back to the shop. Don't open it or destroy it or hammer into it....... in any way! They have three options: refund, replace, repair. Either way, seek as much refund as you can get or as good of a drive as they can replace, but never repair. It's a horror! Those things are cheap these days, theyre becoming more consumable type goods. If they can only repair, I strongly recommend against it. Not only will it take them a while, it will also be highly likely that it cause more stress when you really need it again a few months down the track. You may have the 'lucky repair', but those chances aren't big.

New drives these day are about $50. QMB Computers have a "Samsung 52x32x52x SW-252F CDRW c/w Nero5.5 oem two years warranty" for $49+GST. Come on! That's not even a dinner at a restaurant!

Jester
06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
I got it from QMB, too!

I have emailed them, will courier to them on Tues... unless any Jafas are in Tauranga for the long weekend and can deliver it for me !!??

J
:D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
06-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm sure many am.. but not us :p Just run to the beach and yell 'Lollie for Aucklanders Only' I know these people, they're run if you offer two or three jelly beans :D

Susan B
06-06-2004, 01:31 PM
> I'm sure many am.. but not us :p Just run to the beach and yell 'Lollie for Aucklanders Only' I know these people, they're run if you offer two or three jelly beans :D

:^O LMAO

SY, behave! :p

Jester: You haven't by any chance installed any new programs lately have you? The disk management/utility type of program? I had trouble with my CD-ROM and writer not recognising any further discs after one had been in a drive unless I rebooted the computer. Uninstalled the three latest programs and it came right. Still don't know which one was the guilty culprit but I suspect it was a utility program I was trying.

Might be worth a thought anyway. :-)

Did I tell you about this the other day? I know I told a couple but
not quite sure if one was you.

Jester
21-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Update

Returned it via courier to QMB, they sent it to supplier, and today received a replacement. :)

J.

Billy T
21-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Warranties do work, but only if you use them. :|

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sb0h
21-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Glad to hear that. I've got a DVD writer on its way back to the supplier after it made some of my good quality media into coasters.

Winston001
21-06-2004, 06:44 PM
> Blowing into it didn't work, all that happened was I
> felt dizzy when I stood up again!

Suck Mary-Beth! Suck. Blow is just a figure of speech :D