PDA

View Full Version : networks and laptop docking bays

matcaird
05-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi all
I have a dell inspiron and docking bay (APR) connected to the intranet at work.
If I undock the laptop and plug the network cable straight into the side of the laptop, I can access the internet, see the other computers on the network, but not access and folders etc.
I tried renamaming the laptop, but with no change.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Mat

godfather
05-06-2004, 02:57 PM
I have read this post several times, but confess I still am not sure of your problem.

Its either:

1. You can only access the work network when you use the docking station, but not direct from the network port on the laptop.

or

2. You cannot make a functioning network connection when you plug the laptop in direct on another network.

If (1) then we could assume that the network adapter in the docking station has the correct setup, and the network adapter in the laptop does not. Set up the laptop adapter the same as the docking station adapter. These settings should be visible when you are docked, for both adapters. Talk with the network administrator.

If (2) then you need to talk to the system/network administrator to discuss the ramifications of dual network use, and the security issues.

matcaird
07-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi God

It's 1.

I hadn't tried to look at the settings when it is docked, so I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Thanks Kindly

The network admin charges $180/hour, so I'm gonna try fixing it myself first (he's an outside consultant, there's only 3-5 of us in the office).

Mat

metla
07-06-2004, 10:30 PM
$180 bucks an hour?

holy cows milk.

Me thinks somone is getting massivly overpaid,speacially for a network suporting 5 people.