PDA

View Full Version : how to disassemble an old Acer monitor?

agent_24
05-06-2004, 01:52 PM
does anyone know of any hidden clips or such used in monitors that could be preventing me from getting the case off the monitor i have?

the bottom comes up fine (just undid two screws) but the top seems to have some horrid little clips which i cant work out how the heck to undo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pheonix
05-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Yeah, real %&*$$&*^% .

Hard to explain, but , Place monitor face down, put an arm around the case and lift slightly so as to put pressure on the join. Now with the other hand, give it some hard smacks with the heel of the hand just above the join.(that is on the back case side) About 2 inches from each edge.

Basically there is 2 clips at the top which short of levering and damaging the plastic, requires this technique to release.

Growly
05-06-2004, 02:02 PM
pull everything apart that you can with screws.

make sure it's been unplugged for a loooonnngggg time.

dont try and break the screen, it has bad stuff inside, and the only real way of doing it is to flip a tab at the back of the tube.

agent_24
05-06-2004, 02:19 PM
well this monitor works apart from wobbliness down the edges, and i dont really want to break the screen cos then id have to get another one.

Big John
05-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Drop from a heigth of about 6 foot and it should come away fine.

beetle
05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
I hear Hammers have an amazing ability to open anything.....:D

long handled ones are best.

cant remember who i lent it to last, someone on pf1 may have one though....
:D

beetle

Baldy
05-06-2004, 04:01 PM
You could always borrow Chris Sinclairs spoon to lever the clips open

beama
05-06-2004, 04:03 PM
> I hear Hammers have an amazing ability to open
> anything.....:D
>
> long handled ones are best.
>
> cant remember who i lent it to last, someone on pf1
> may have one though....

sorry, beetle I forgot, like the cheque its in the post :^O

Growly
05-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Oh it works?

I thought it was because you were curious...

Well in that case.... screwdriver it to the days.

Pheonix
05-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Once you have the back off......then what?????
Sounds like mains capacitors are stuffed, but it doesn't sound like an adjustment.

Billy T
05-06-2004, 04:41 PM
> well this monitor works apart from wobbliness down
> the edges

I don't want to pop your bubble Aaron, but unless you are trained in electronics there is very little to be achieved by dismantling your monitor.

If you were very very lucky you might spot a glaringly obvious defective solder joint, but otherwise the symptom you describe is unlikely to be related to anything a novice could hope to fix.

If the problem varies when you bump the monitor, then it might be a repairable proposition but otherwise I'd leave it to an expert.

Alternatively, it could be external electromagnetic interference so make sure that there are no power packs close to the screen, TVs running on the other side of the wall, or a meterbox within 1 metre.

Lower the screen refresh rate to 56 or 60 Hz and see if the effect gets worse, or increase it to 85 Hz and see if it gets better. In either case a significant change indicates that external fields may be the cause.

This also happens in inner city suburbs with street power lines very close to the house.

If you suspect external fields then try the monitor in another room or at a friend's home to confirm the diagnosis. Incidentally, the last time this sort of problem came up on PF1 it turned out there were HV power lines running above the house. The resident hadn't really noticed them, or if he had, he hadn't suspected them as a cause.

Digital cellphones can also cause screen twitches but only when transmitting (on a call or initially receiving a call).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

agent_24
05-06-2004, 09:34 PM
A friend of mine said the same thing happened to one of his monitors, and the problem was a capacitor - so i was hoping id be lucky and spot a weird one..... :D

this monitor was one i found on the side of the road, and doesnt do well no matter where you put it - i suspect it is a fault with the thing itself.

Also, please tell me how you change the refresh rate for DOS 6.22...... :D

Terry Porritt
05-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Not easy to change dos refresh rate, you could have a look at VBEHz, When I tried a version some years ago my Vesa version wasnt right.

http://www.informatik.fh-muenchen.de/%7eifw98223/vbehz.htm

Winston001
06-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Sounds like a job for Elephants woodchipper. Or you could borrow my 9yr old son. He made a fine job of exploring a 22inch TV. The piece-de-resistance was when I gave his 6yr old sister a 20oz hammer (Beetle lent it to me after Chris had straightened his spoon). Lots of fun but stand back. :D

Jester
06-06-2004, 12:41 AM
I used to love knocking the tube neck off old Pyes and Philips tvs in the workshop and hearing the wooooosh as air was sucked into the tube.

This was before we dumped old ex rental teles at the tip..... and seeing all the others at the tip hang around till after we left so they could scavenge what they tought was a working tv. Ahhhh the good ole days of dumps, seagulls, getting mud and sawdust on your shoes, hunting for treasures ...

it's all so sanitary now!

J

godfather
06-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Please be careful destroying old CTRs. They pose a real danger.

If you have ever witnessed a full CRT implosion you would never want to get close to one when destroying it.

Nasty shards of glass can cover an area the size of a house if the tube implodes.
Danger to life, limbs, eyes can result.

Never think of destroying a tube (even just by the nipple in the back of the tube) without full eye protection, but if it implodes you will still be caught in a torrent of glass shrapnel.

Does not always happen but is a severe safety issue when it eventually does.

agent_24
06-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Yes, I know all about that - there is a reason why I try to stop friends from throwing bricks at old TV's, Especially when i'm in the vicinity....

As i said before i dont want to destroy this monitor - I am only hoping of fixing it , and I still havent been able to get the case off anyway.

Pheonix
06-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Child proof ? :D

agent_24
06-06-2004, 11:32 AM
ha ha

probably.......... :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
06-06-2004, 12:23 PM
> I hear Hammers have an amazing ability to open
> anything.....:D
>
> long handled ones are best.
>
> cant remember who i lent it to last, someone on pf1
> may have one though....
> :D
>
> beetle

Great idea, we got one here if you need it -nice long handle, well constructed with grip too! :^O As mentioned already, I would recommend against opening it yourself if your not an qualified electrician.. unless you no longer need it. Spotting an "weird" component is not easy...

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
06-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Also, where having the annual non-organic rubbish collection tomorrow. If it breaks, you have permission to drop of off on our lawn :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
06-06-2004, 12:25 PM
> Also, where having the annual non-organic rubbish

We are

agent_24
06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
yea, I like the in-organics

half of my stereo system came from there :D

Billy T
06-06-2004, 01:37 PM
I endorse Godfather's comments. I have seen a shard of glass from a CRT embedded over 1cm into a piece of hardwood after a let-down went wrong. It was pure luck that nobody was seriously injured. Just cruising past the local inorganics today I saw a TV with an imploded bell where a few copper retrievers had (hopefully) escaped lightly.

Back to the problem, try setting the width to minimum thewen look at the edges of the raster (scanned area). If they are wavy a PSU capacitor might cure it if you spot one discoloured or bulging, but if the scan sides are straight and the edges of the desktop (video) are wavy it is probably a job for an expert.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

agent_24
06-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Sounds like this monitor has more problems than a stuffed capacitor:

Shrunk the screen to smallest, but edges of the picture were still wavy,
also can't see the raster because this monitor only goes to half brightness anyway so i suppose the tube is dying or something.

considering it was free im not complaining too much.

somebody
06-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Regarding your original question....

Usually the "clips" are designed in such a way that at a particular angle, you can remove the cover without damaging any of the plastic. In some cases, you will need a screwdriver or something to just "pop" the clips out of place and release the case.

Baldy
06-06-2004, 10:27 PM
> Sounds like a job for Elephants woodchipper. Or you
> could borrow my 9yr old son. He made a fine job of
> exploring a 22inch TV. The piece-de-resistance was
> when I gave his 6yr old sister a 20oz hammer (Beetle
> lent it to me after Chris had straightened his
> spoon). Lots of fun but stand back. :D

Ahhhhh, the versatile spoon.

Baldy
06-06-2004, 10:32 PM
> yea, I like the in-organics
>
> half of my stereo system came from there :D

Where did the other half come from? The Sallies no doubt

Megaman
06-06-2004, 10:57 PM
> Please be careful destroying old CTRs. They pose a
> real danger.

Everyone knows CRTs pose a problem, but CTRs?

agent_24
07-06-2004, 02:22 PM
> > yea, I like the in-organics
> >
> > half of my stereo system came from there :D
>
> Where did the other half come from? The Sallies no
> doubt

Ok, well not half - heres the real story if u want to know:

the Tuner came from the side of the road,
the Turntable had been sitting around in the basement for a few years doing nothing interesting,
The Amlifier came from dollar dealers as well as the Tape deck
the CD player came new from the warehouse,
And the speakers are the same ones that were used on the old stereo untill it decided to die...

Thank you very much.

Pheonix
07-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Turntable...whats a turntable :D

CD player with a needle?

agent_24
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Errr I suppose you could call it that..