PDA

View Full Version : Can LapTops Run All Night For Encoding?

Term_X
05-06-2004, 01:42 PM
On my desktop pc i do lots of overnight video encoding and its no trouble pc runs sweet. im interested in getting a laptop now and doing the same thing on it.. so bearing in mind that laptops are more compact and unlike a pc tower case which has lots of room for cooling etc.. can a laptop run overnight for hours eg ,..8..9 hours? and its not going to get too hot etc?.. can the screen be turned off overnight? as far as the video encoding thing goes.. stay with a desktop pc or can i go to a laptop?

Any suggestions much appresh :-)

Term X

Chilling_Silence
05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah, of course :-)

Just close the lid and the LCD screen will turn off.

Laptop should be fine if you want to get one.

Chill.

metla
05-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Once my laptop arrives (took me a week to arrange payment,during which time they ran out of units....doh!) i intend to leave it encoding overnight and i don't anticipate any problems.

Growly
05-06-2004, 01:53 PM
The only benefit I can think of ith having a laptop over using a desktop is that it's portable, but then, realisticly, you're still tied to a power socket...

It should be ok, just don't put it too close to anything else (like in a pile of books), and give it some air...

metla
05-06-2004, 01:57 PM
The reason i have purchased a laptop is so all my emails and work dont get spread out over multiple computers,which is the current state.

Personally i dislike the cramped feel of them,so i shall have a keyboard and mouse set up at both places i intend to use it.

Need to be able to sit back in my black leather power seat and gaze out at the comp,not hunch over em like a book keeper....

Term_X
05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
thanks for that Chilly Metla and Growly.. Metla whats the model and specs of the laptop you have for encodoing?do i need to have a dedicated video card in a laptop or is it ok to have built in graphics and is it the amount of ram and cpu speed that dictates fast encoding?

Dolby Digital
05-06-2004, 03:01 PM
I have a IBM 2.4GHz Pentium 4 which is often on for 8-9 hours at a time. Every now and again, I get a blast of nice warm air (its fan sort of points at me). It doesn't run that hot. If it does overhead, it would be a "take it back to the supplier" job.

metla
05-06-2004, 03:03 PM
You will find that there is quite a few things to take into consideration when it comes to purchasing a laptop,In my case Weight and battery life wasn't a consideration,features,power and price were so i went with a unit that used a mobile version of a desktop chip and that was at a good price.
the ASUS A2500D (http://www.computermedic.co.nz/items.php?item_id=327)

The cpu isn't as good as the p4 at encoding but the rest of the features imo make up for what will be a tiny shortfall.

The video card won't affect encoding speed(but dedicated video ram always make for a snappier computer)but every other component well,Amount of ram,speed of ram,motherboard chipset,cpu etc.

To be honest i don't know how well the dedicated mobile chips perform encoding but im sure someone out there in internat land has probbaly written an article on it.

In short,Buy the best specs you can afford.Grunty cpu,and a boatload of ram,Decent size harddrive is always a bonus,as is a dvd writer....

metla
05-06-2004, 03:36 PM
As to the heat issue,due to the extreme load that encoding put on a computer it maybe a good idea to invest in one of these.

http://www.anywarenz.co.nz/cache/item-1762public.html?cache=no

Even if the unit isn't running at a temperture that causes problems heat of any kind as an effect on lifespan so i would think one of those would be a wise investment for a laptop that is going to be subject to sustained 100% load over lkong periods.