PDA

View Full Version : RAID 1 and win98se

KatiMike
05-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction re installing a mirror RAID array wrt Win 98se . I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard , identical Seagate drives and a Kouwell IDE RAID card . Specifically do you set up the RAID array initially on the boards IDE channel, then install the RAID array , or is it best to install the array initially via BIOS etc , then install OS onto the array . I've looked around the net , downloaded the PCI cards drivers but remain uncertain how to proceed . Many thanks for any help , Mike W

Fire-and-Ice
05-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Someone probably knows the answer but may be away on holiday at the mo. ;-)

tweak\'e
05-06-2004, 09:14 PM
install the card, connect the hardrives to it, set up raid options via the raid cards bios (most likly it will tell you what key to press to get into the riad bios on boot up), install 98 then install motherboard drivers and then raid card drivers.

KatiMike
07-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks heaps for the feedback , will have a go and let you know how things go - new to this forum stuff , hope I can contribute something useful in time , Mike W

KatiMike
19-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Many thanks for the help - much appreciated .
In case it helps anyone else , I found that when I tried to install the motherboard drivers before the RAID drivers the system kept hanging on reboot , so I reformatted and put the RAID drivers on , then the mobo drivers - no problems .
After a few days the RAID startup kept saying the array was incomplete , and the only option that worked was to delete the array , then I rebuilt it and it seems OK
One question , even at idle , the 2 HDD seem to get mighty warm - I've checked all the leads etc and they seem fine , the Kouwell site is no help nor could I see any info about this on the Seagate site . While researching RAID before this build somewhere I think I saw a reference to the fact Seagate IDE drives aren't that good in RAID setups , but I could be dreaming :) Once again any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated , Mike W

KatiMike
22-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Not sure if it's OK to post again in reply to my own post ...pls let me know if it's seen as "poor form" ...
So concerned that my hard drives may burst into flames I searched around and found a couple of progs that monitor HDD temp - tried them and they wouldn't work ...so looked into SMART - I'm using Seagate HDDs so worked thru their site - turns out SMART is disabled by default , yet I could find no way to enable it with my G'byte board [s] ... the recomended temp is up to 60 deg [ which seems really warm] and the only way I can think of to monitor this is with temp sensors stuck onto the HDD [ which isn't supported by my case , so would have to be "after-modded " ] so ... is it normal that IDE HDD on a RAID1 setup run warm /hot [ to touch] even on idle ? and does anyone have any ideas on how to keep an eye on HDD temp other than feeling how warm the drives are ?? Aida32 ?? Once again thanks for the help so far :-) Mike W

kiki
22-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Press Ctrl+F1 in the main BIOS page to uncover the hidden options like S.M.A.R.T. Maybe that will help show the temperatures.

tweak\'e
22-06-2004, 11:36 AM
>Not sure if it's OK to post again in reply to my own post ...pls let me know if it's seen as "poor form" ...

it "good form". it keeps all the info in one place so people know what you are talking about without having to repeat all the ifo :)

not all hardrives have temp sensors and not all RAID cards will pass on the info.

a lot of hardrives do run warm or even quite hot. a lot of it comes down to your case temps and case airflow. there is normally power optoins to turn the hardrives off when not needed which can help a bit if the system is at idle for a long peroid.

i would stick an outdooe temp sensor on the side of the hardrive and monitor it that way. also just useing your hand to guage the temps is not to bad..;-)