05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Another Update: Free Version:

Program version: 6.0.699
Virus Database: 456

Cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Slim
05-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi Merlin,
regarding your previous notice for a large update file, if you look in the Grisoft/Avg6 folder their now is a 2.4MB file named Video Clip. I tried to open it but it comes up as corrupt.
Do you also have this now installed.

tweak\'e
05-06-2004, 09:29 PM
i don't have a file named "video clip" but i do have one called "avg6.avi" is that what you where meaning ?

tommy
05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
> regarding your previous notice for a large update
> file, if you look in the Grisoft/Avg6 folder their
> now is a 2.4MB file named Video Clip. I tried to
> open it but it comes up as corrupt.
> Do you also have this now installed.

I also have a file avg6.avi which is listed as a Video Clip type of file. My results when trying to open it are the same as yours, it gives a message that it is corrupt.

Slim
05-06-2004, 09:40 PM
In the folder Avg6 their are 6 other folders, the 5th is Update, the 6th is User, then there is a long list of files. The 6th File on my list is labelled avg6 is shown as a WMP icon, the size is 2,400KB and the type is Video Clip.

tommy
05-06-2004, 09:47 PM
It appears that the .avi extension is used for other files than movie/video files. The AVG .avi file extension could possibly be Anti-Virus Install and it appears to hold AVG's installation settings.
Looks like it is nothing to be worried about anyway.

tweak\'e
05-06-2004, 09:50 PM
slim...by the sounds of it you have "hide extensions of known file types" on. (which is not a good thing imho) the file is not a video. just a file used by avg which just happens to have the same file extentions as a movie file.

tommy
05-06-2004, 09:56 PM
> slim...by the sounds of it you have "hide extensions
> of known file types" on. (which is not a good thing
> imho) the file is not a video. just a file used by
> avg which just happens to have the same file
> extentions as a movie file.

It makes no difference whether extensions are viewable or not. Because it is an .avi file Windows has associated it file with Windows Media Player and lists the file type as a video clip file hence the confusion.
It is obviously a rare exception to the .avi file association that Windows makes but not something to be concerned about in this case.

Slim
05-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi Tweak'e,
Thank for your comment on showing all file types, I have now altered this setting that you recommend.

tweak\'e
05-06-2004, 10:17 PM
>It makes no difference whether extensions are viewable or not

having the extensions veiwable makes virus spotting a little easier and makes doing repairs easier.

johnboy
05-06-2004, 10:30 PM
This might explain AVG.avi from avg help files

2.5 Installing AVG Antivirus System on Windows 95/98
To install AVG use the program SETUP.EXE. To install using a script type:
\\SERVER\DISK1\AVGNET\INSTALL\SETUP.EXE /@<name_of_script>
SETUP.EXE has more parameters which are described in chapter 2.6. To automatically start the
AVG SETUP you need to modify your login script. Don't worry setup will not start every time the
login script is executed because it first checks for an existing installation in AVG folder set in your
install script. This is done by checking for the presence of file AVG6.AVI.
Note: To initiate an automatic reinstall on a network station you must first delete AVG6.AVI
hth

tommy
05-06-2004, 10:42 PM
> >It makes no difference whether extensions are
> viewable or not
>
> having the extensions veiwable makes virus spotting a
> little easier and makes doing repairs easier.

Sorry Tweake but I thought you were referring to this particular file being more visible in Windows Explorer if the extensions were viewable. In this particular case it makes no difference, it still looks like a video file but I agree that it is good practice to have file extensions viewable at all times.