PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook

wyndra
04-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Microsoft Out look.
under folders in Outlook how can I copy contents of a folder in the same format to a disk or so it can be sent by email?????.
thank you

Murray P
04-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Do you want to copy messages or addresses? All or singley? Is it plain old Outlook or Outlook Express.

You can export your messages and adresses in OE via File > Export > to a location/folder of your choice (think its the same for plain O). If an individual mesage you can forward it or save as either an email or text (txt) the latter will lose any special formatting if its an html message.

Cheers Murray P

wyndra
04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi Murray,its plain old outlook,and infomation that I have saved into a folder there.I want to be able to save the info in the same format but if I go to edit then select all I dont seem to be able to find how to save it to a disk or forward it in a email.I am able to save it to a folder in documents but i loose the format.

Murray P
04-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Hmm, not up on Outlook (sheesh I'm letting you down again) if you export, they will be saved in an Outlook only formand will want to open using Outlook. Other programmes like contact managers and data bases can open the files but if liked or imported, I'm not sure how else you can save them without losing formatting unless some smarty somewhere has made a viewer in which case google may be your friend.

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix
05-06-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm only slightly familiar with MS Outlook.
Had a search around, is this site (http://www.indiana.edu/~econweb/savingemail.html) of any use?

wyndra
07-06-2004, 11:30 PM
thanks for that info but its the whole contents of the folder I want to save.
Any more ideas ????.

wyndra
07-06-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks for that Murray,still hopeing.

Murray P
08-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Ok. It seems that MS in their wisdom have chosen to store the Outlook information as .pst files that can't be read by other programmes unless converted to text (personal folders, emails, etc).

I have come across this site (http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm) that has a list of add on and utilities that do various things with mail, exchange server and data bases. Scroll down the list until you get to E_RKive, 2nd down from that is Extract Microsoft Outlook Emails......... and a few further down is ForMorth which looks the most promising to me.

Another option but, one I don't think will be palatable to you is add a new Personal Folder to outlook, export it as a .xxxxxxxx.pst file then email the whole thing. The recipient will need Outlook and possibly the correct version as well to read them.

Cheers Murray P

wyndra
08-06-2004, 12:45 AM
thanks for all that,I will give it a try.
thank you ............Wyndra

Elephant
08-06-2004, 12:50 AM
> Hi Murray,its plain old outlook,and infomation that I
> have saved into a folder there.I want to be able to
> save the info in the same format but if I go to edit
> then select all I dont seem to be able to find how to
> save it to a disk or forward it in a email.I am able
> to save it to a folder in documents but i loose the
> format.

I have copied Emails into various folders using MS Outlook.

I really am not sure what you want to do here.

Are you trying to send a whole folder via Email to someone else?
How big is the folder?
Does the person you want to send this lot to use the same version of Outlook you use? Does this folder only have Email messages in it or does this folder include other info like pictures, spreadsheets etc?

Just to give you an idea. What happens if you RIGHT CLICK on the folder you want to send?

What do you mean by losing the format?

wyndra
18-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi there,It is a bit like a spreadsheet,it has names phone numbers addresses and information,I have tried right clicking to send via a e-mail and have also moved it into a folder to send,I can send it like that but I lose the whole format and it comes out differently

falvrez
18-06-2004, 05:24 PM
hi Wyndra

Is it your contact folder or another folder you have created?
It sounds like your contacts folder, or one setup as a contact folder. If it is then sending it via email is possible but messy. Come back with your answer...

wyndra
19-06-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm doing this for my brother and you are right I think it is a contact folder,even if we could put it on to disk so I can get it on to my pc