PDA

View Full Version : How can I change back from NTFS to Fat32

Rayj
04-06-2004, 11:01 AM
I have a 40gb harddrive partitioned into 2 drives, Drive C has Winxp and Drive D has been formatted and has no data at all ,

Last night the information I was given was that if I changed drive C from Fat32 to NTFS I would be able to load Windows 98SE onto the other D drive as a Fat32.

I changed drive C from Fat32 to NTFS and now have been given extra information that this was wrong and both drives should have stayed as Fat32. Windows 98se cannot be loaded onto drive D as I have the wrong operating system.

Can I use any shareware or Freeware programmes to revert back drive C from NTFS to Fat32 ? like BootinngNG or Simalar?

I realize that perhaps the only way will be to Format and loose all my data.

Any sugestions that my assist me

JJJJJ
04-06-2004, 11:11 AM
That's right. Reformat your drive and lose all your data.

Chilling_Silence
04-06-2004, 11:12 AM
AFAIK - The only way you can go from NTFS for FAT32 is using Partition Magic, and even it has troubles.

Here's how I can see things being solved:
Boot into WinXP on your First Partition (Drive C) and format drive D as Fat32 (Bring up My Computer then right-click on Drive D and choose Format).

Copy across all your My Docs files etc that you'll want backed up, dont forget emails, favorites, address book and anything else like accounting software data.

Once you've done that, you're going to want to copy the Win98 CD to your Hard Drive - Its just easier IMO.
Put in the Win98 CD and there should be a folder on it called Win98. Copy this folder to your D: Drive and rename it "setup98"

Now for the scary part - Reboot your PC with a Boot Disk in it (WinXP or Win98 Boot Disk - doesnt matter because we've got Win98 Setup files your HDD.
You may need to use fdisk now to delete a "Non-Dos partition".
From there, create a Primary Partition (still in FDisk) and reboot your PC with the boot floppy in.

Now, format c:

Everything at this point is still on D: which is good - your backups are safe :-)
Now you want to:
mkdir c:\Setup98
copy d:\Setup98\*.* c:\Setup98\*.*
deltree d:\setup98

This has will copy across the setup files for Win98 to your C: Drive, Just in case you decide to play around with your D: Drive and NTFS later again.

Now, type:
cd c:\setup98

And to begin the installation of Win98, type
setup

This will install Win98 - Follow through with the prompts etc until you're all setup.

Dont forget your drivers etc.

Next, begin the WinXP Setup when you're all happy with Win98 being installed / Drivers and what-not.
Only when it asks you, tell it you want to install it onto D: (FAT32). Its going to try and tell you that you should format and start clean but since when does Bill Gates know whats best for you ;-)
You want to install on drive D: and tell it to Leave the partition as it is and DONT format - Your backups are still on it.

Once WinXP is installed you'll be able to use the WinXP Boot Loader to choose either Win98 or WinXP on boot.

Hope this helps

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
04-06-2004, 11:14 AM
> That's right. Reformat your drive and lose all your
> data.

But the D Drive has been formatted? Why not make sure its formatted with Fat32 so its readable in Win98 and WinXP - Then put all the backups on it??? Why lose previous data when you dont have to?

:-)

Pheonix
04-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Umm Chill, shouldn't you have Win98 instead of setup98 after any instance of d:\

Pheonix
04-06-2004, 11:43 AM
oops , didn't read it fully and carefully. Sorry please ignore above :(

Terry Porritt
04-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Rayj, I think you are lucky that you have someone as patient as Chill to explain things and to go through a possible way out of the predicament of your own making.

My reading of last nights post was quite clear to me and is at variance with your interpretation :-

a) You do not need to go to NTFS, though it is easy enough to do so, but it would be much better to stay with FAT32.

b) If you do go to NTFS then you cant get back to FAT32 without losing data as a result of having to format your drive.

c)You need to load Win98 first onto a FAT32 partition, then you can load WinXP.

I think you have made a rod for your own back by not reading the posts properly, sorry but I find this funny in my quirky way :)

As a treat I will let you listen to some great dance band music later on today.

Rayj
04-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks to you "Chilling Silence" for all your knowledge, and assistance, And to all the others who have answered my questions on F1.
I am Greatful

Ray

Rayj
04-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks Terry

I did consider your coments, but have a PC savy friend here who sugested another way, I followed his way and as you now know he gave me the wrong information.
I am greatful to you also for your knowledge and coments
Thanks
Ray

Terry Porritt
04-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Glad you didnt take my comment the wrong way, I had this vision before me of the MS windows that say 'are you sure?' before inviting you to click on an irreversible button :)

Maybe it shows the collective wisdom of those helping on PressF1 is pretty good on the whole.

vidude
29-05-2007, 07:32 PM
just download a copy of acronis true image home 10 (evaluation is good for 15days)
choose hard disk management
add a new disk
follow the prompts and in a couple of minutes you are back to fat32.
I just did this for an external wd mybook 500 gb hd.
It took a couple of minutes and I was back in business.
:thumbs:

DeSade
29-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Did you look at the date on this post, 2004
Not a good idea to bring old threads back from the dead

Graham L
29-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Welcome to PressF1, vidude. You have added to the (admittedly old) thread, so anyone who searches for this subject in the future will find another possible repair for a typical "are you sure" error. ;)