PDA

View Full Version : Sis-in-law deletes addresses,recovery possible?

Neil McC
04-06-2004, 09:15 AM
She has accidentally deleted some while cleaning up the OE address book.Using XP home.Any way of finding them again.She's not near me so I can't help with the programs I've got,system restore do it?

Chilling_Silence
04-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Im not sure if System Restore affects My Docs. Somebody told me it did, others say it didnt...

So, The only problem is - If you use System Restore and it doesnt the you're in trouble because it will have likely over-written on the HDD where your address book was.

So, shut down the PC and leave it off until somebody else can confirm to use system restore or not. If you shouldnt, then we can get into some cool data recovery tools :-)

Chill.

Fire-and-Ice
04-06-2004, 09:51 AM
No, system restore won't bring back her beloveds but according to this page (http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm) a backup copy may still have the info required.

If you open the *.wab's folder in Windows Explorer, you will see not only the <username>.wab file but also an automatic backup copy named <username>.wa~. To find all WAB files and backups on your computer, just do a Windows search for "*.wa?". To open a backup copy, simply rename the file and change the extension to wab.

Good luck. ;-)

Neil McC
04-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys,but it now looks like she meant the contacts in msn!So have sent her a few I have of family,but all her husbands contacts.........!

metla
04-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Pretty sure msn contacts are kept on file to speak at the other end(yes....bill gates has a copy)

They may have changed it but i have seen in the past where i have been setting up a new comp and logged into msn not only are all my currest contacts added but those i have deleted in the past.

Fire-and-Ice
04-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Sign into MSN, go to Tools | Options | Privacy and click on the View button where it has "Which users have added me to their list". You should be able to grab the email addresses from there. ;-)

Neil McC
04-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks metla,I seem to recall something like that.Actually I just opened up received files and all the contacts and past conversations are stored in there,so must point her to look there !

johnboy
04-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Get Her to Do a search for .ctt files which is the MSN Messenger Saved Contact. List file name which might turn up something.??