PDA

View Full Version : CPU unknown?

TJMC
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Don't know if anyone else has had this happen before, but yesterday when booting up my pc (XP2800, 128mb geforce, win98se) I noticed (on the bootup) the cpu was being listed as unknown cpu 2088 mhtz. Sisoft sandra also reported unknown cpu, as did windows system report. Rebooting did nothing, so decided to search the net for answers. Many forums reported similar problems, with most suggesting bios failure after an upgrade or an overclock. Difference with mine was...no upgrade or overclocking was performed. The only thing that had happened was a new power supply installed (2nd in 6 weeks) 2 days before.
Checked the bios, & all was as was before (cpu clock speed/multiplyer etc). Anyway, no amount of rebooting fixed it, until a shutdown overnight, then hey presto, all is fine the next day.
Any ideas on why? I havn't had problems with cpu temperature (around 35-36 deg.

Megaman
03-06-2004, 08:48 PM
the same thing has happened on half the computers at school. It's nothing to worry about, as the computer still works dosen't it?

TJMC
03-06-2004, 08:53 PM
no one's worrying, the question was "why"?, as in "any ideas"?

drcspy
04-06-2004, 11:44 AM
2nd psu in six weeks ?...........how come ?

timo
04-06-2004, 02:35 PM
sounds like the bios is not correctly identifying the CPU. Have a look on the web for an upgrade to your BIOS .

--NOTE--
it might not be a good idea to actually install it if you don't know what you are doing though!
-- end NOTE--

Just see if there is a bugfix for this problem associated with your particular bios.

TJMC
05-06-2004, 10:52 AM
it is a brand new box, they had problems with the psu's in the xsonic boxes brought into the country, apparently over half had to be returned. They have now replaced with a different brand under warranty, so hopefully it go again. Never had a bios problem b4, but unusual on a new system, will check it out.

metla
05-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Uh...its actually more usual on a new system,in particuler a newly released board,thats why a week after they come on the market you see revision models apear on the manufacturers website.

Its a pity that we then have to wait for these new models to filter through to our market.

This of course doesn't apply if the board has been on the market for awhile,but many have issues with first release boards and compatabilty.