PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO I CHANGE A HARD DRIVE FROM FAT 32 TO NTFS

Rayj
03-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Without formatting and loosing all my data.

Is there any freeware or shareware programme that will do that process.

I won't to run win98se and winxp on the same drive or on a separate partition.

my hard drive is partitioned into 2 drives both Fat32

WINxp is on drive C and nothing on drive D

I have tried to load Win98se onto D but it wont reconise the cd in the E drive

tommy
03-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Your drives do not need to be NTFS to run Windows XP unless the partition size is greater than 32GB.
You cannot install more than one version of Windows on the same partition.
You cannot install Windows 98 after installing Windows XP without much difficulty and most likely problems. The recommended way is to install older versions of Windows in consecutive order, eg Windows 98 then Windows XP.

robsonde
03-06-2004, 05:14 PM
what you need to do is....

keep all the drives as fat32 if you can

install win98 first and install it to C drive.

install XP secind and install it to D drive and it will multi boot with win98.

Pheonix
03-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Have a readup on the free method of conversion here. (http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php)

beama
03-06-2004, 05:17 PM
tommy has some good points once you have converted there is only one way to reverse the proceedure, a format then you will loose data.
but to go from fat32 to ntfs,
goto starrt... run
type in
comd
then type in
convert/?
that will answer your question remember backup critical data even though this conversion is surposidly nondestructive

Rayj
03-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks for that information.

When changing from Fat32 to Nstc will I loose all my date ? or will that only happen when I use Format

Fire-and-Ice
03-06-2004, 08:53 PM
> When changing from Fat32 to Nstc will I loose all my date ? or will that only happen when I use Format

You shouldn't lose your data but with computers there is always an element of risk. If you have anything you cant afford to lose then back it up first. ;-)

Note: Once you have converted from FAT32 to NTFS you cant go back without formatting (except possibly by using Partition Magic) so be sure you really need to do it.

Billy T
03-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Yes, Partition Magic will convert NTFS to FAT32 without loss of data. The computer I am using to post this was converted to FAT32 two years ago and hasn't shown any adverse consequences.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

JJJJJ
03-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I was going to tell you, but Beama has already done so. Just remember that once you have done it you can't change it back.
Jack

kiki
03-06-2004, 11:48 PM
If you have XP installed and Win98 on another partition, both are Fat32 and you can't read stuff on the XP then Win98 has automatically hidden the XP partition. To see that data you need to use partition magic and un-hide the partition.

To convert NTFS to Fat32 you can type out a simple command in XP from the command prompt. try convert /? for options.

Mzee
06-06-2004, 02:46 AM
I have Win 98 (I use the Dos), Win ME (for my camera & spares programs), Win XP (for work) & Xandros Linux (to play with), all on one drive.
I have 3 primary partitions for the Windows OS. Linux can go anywhere on its own partition which is invisable to Windows.

The booting is controlled by "Boot Magic" which is quite simple in that you can only have one active visible primary partition at a time. All "Boot Magic" does is activate the required partition which is seen as "C". "Boot Magic" also sees Linux, but as it is invisible to Windows, it does not have to be hidden. The boot file, "Lilo" for Linux is placed in the root of the Linux partition.
Program & Data files are on separate partitions and so are visible to all systems. Just Install software into the same folder, the program is then executable by all Windows without duplication.
The Windows should all be on Fat32 which is read by all systems, including Linux. Avoid NTFS as it is only compatable with XP and NT4.

When you have it all set up, make a Ghost Image file of each "C" drive from Dos, then you can restore any part of your systen in a few minutes.
Also make an Image of your Program partition.

Susan B
06-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Mzee: How big is your hard drive? :O :D

andy
06-06-2004, 04:06 PM
With cheap drives now common, I have taken a different approach.
I fitted 2 removeable drive bays - one for my boot drive and one for my data drive. I now have six drives - one boot drive for W98se, one for serious stuff (work related etc) Win XP that does not go near the net or any potentially virus-laden stuff, one XP drive for experimenting with and going online, One Linux drive for playing and learning, one FAT32 data drive and one NTFS single partition 120 gig data drive for video editing.
While this may seem excessive, it means I have four PCs that are basically independent, but I can access my data from all or keep it safely away from any, and it all takes up the desktop space of one machine. I can carry images of each drive safely and easily on any of the others, so in the event of a fatality, I can easily restore the operating system from an image, and I can safely store my important data away from my PC so that it doesn't go missing in the event of a burglary (again). Over the top? - maybe, but it works well and there are no compromises made to accomodate the other operating systems. If I want to change OSs, I just have to shut down, swap drives (a 10 second job) and reboot - no hassles.

godfather
06-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I do exactly the same as Andy. Its a very cost effective method. My ability to earn a living depends on the data. Its important to me therefore.

I rotate the HDDs used for data backup, keeping the archived ones in a fireproof safe.

The cost of the caddies and trays is really quite low. I can experiment with Linux etc without any danger to my critical data. I have a separate HDD in a tray for such experimental work.

The use of removeable drives and Ghost has resulted in a reconstruction from a failed HDD in under 1 hour with no data loss.