PDA

View Full Version : MS Office 2003 Professional- Academic Retail

chiefnz
03-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi guy's I'm thinking about buying MS Office 2003 Professional (Academic Retail version).

It has: Word 2003, Excel 2003, Outlook 2003, Powerpoint 2003, Access 2003, Publisher 2003 and Business Contact Manager.

Best of all it doesn't come with a hefty price tag, which is really great.

Now my question is... under the MS license agreement thing, would I be able to install this version of Office 2003 on more than 1 machine. I have 5 PC's on my home network .

As I understand it, academic versions are not for commercial use, so does that mean I would be able to install it on my home network. For the record the PC's I want to istalll the package onto, belong to 2 students and a teacher (dad has a laptop as well which he uses) plus my own PC of course.

Your comments and views appreciated.

cheers
chiefnz

JJJJJ
03-06-2004, 12:45 PM
I don't know the legality of it , but if it was me I'd go ahead without asking.
Jack

metla
03-06-2004, 12:49 PM
hmmm....just reading this ms propaganda i have sitting here, Only lists what they call the teacher and student edition, says that it can be installed on 3 home pc's as long as at least one student resides there.

No idea if teacher and student edition is some sort of overseas equivalent to the local academic version.

Something to look into.

rmcb
03-06-2004, 01:40 PM
What about OpenOffice.org????

No silly licence stuff to worry about.

Scouse
03-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Chief Certainly looks a good buy. It is the full bells and whistles on all the mentiond programs. I would hate to overwrite my full Word 2000 with an abbreviated or doctored Word 2003.

godfather
03-06-2004, 02:05 PM
AFAIK, and based on Office XP the EULA limits you to use for Academic purposes only, and to installation on one PC plus on one portable PC used by the owner of the software.

While you could easily install it on more than 2 PCs, it will not activate on more than two PCs, so that would be useless.

Student and Teachers version ($199) I believe will activate on 3 PCs.

rodb
03-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Godfather is correct
Student & Teacher Edition 2003 (I have the box in front of me) includes only Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, and may be installed on up to 3 home PCs. This is the $199 version.
It is still excellent value and all that most people would need
When installing you can choose which modules of a previously installed version (e.g. Access 97 in my case) not to uninstall/overwrite

chiefnz
03-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,

Just a note, the version I want to buy IS NOT the student/teacher academic version. It's the Office 2003 Professional (Academic Retail Version)

I don't know what Academic Retail is supposed to mean but I had a look at the OEM version of Office 2003 and from what I can see they have the same products on them.

Could it be that there is just a difference in the terms of use between these 2 products? Or maybe as previously stated they don't include Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access and Business Contact Manager in their full capacity.

I guess this warrants further investigation.

cheers
chiefnz

godfather
04-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Its the full version, and its the terms of use under the EULA.

There is no difference in the functionality of the actual software between any versions.

BUT - you still cannot install it on more than 2 PCs, it will fail to activate and stop working.

You are not supposed to use it for any commercial (non educational) purposes.

-=JM=-
04-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Academic has Access the database software.

If you read through the whole EULA in both of the products you'll probably find some clause saying that only a student can actually use the software.

godfather
04-06-2004, 12:54 PM
All Professional editions of Office should have Access.

The Academic version has strict limitations in the EULA:

Academic Edition Software.
If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is identified as "Academic Edition" or "AE", You must be a "Qualified Educational User" to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. To determine whether You are a Qualified Educational User, please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving Your country.

If You are not a Qualified Educational User, You have no rights under this EULA.

If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is identified as "Academic Edition" or "AE," the following additional limitations apply:

Notwithstanding the section of this EULA "Software Product Transfer" and/or any other inconsistent provisions of this EULA, You may not transfer this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

The Section of this EULA "UPGRADES" is deleted and replaced with the following text:

This "Academic Edition" version of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is only eligible for upgrade if an "Academic Edition" Upgrade for the corresponding software product is made generally available.
etc

So, you cannot sell an Academic version when you have finished with it.

You cannot upgrade an academic version to a full licence.

Winston001
04-06-2004, 02:44 PM
>
> BUT - you still cannot install it on more than 2 PCs,
> it will fail to activate and stop working.
>
Oh wise One, please instruct miserable Grasshopper on the inscrutable ways of Installation as delivered to us from the Seven Clouds of Microsoft.

How may the "0"s and "1"s of Office Academic determine how many iterations they are asked to incarnate?

Is there a spirit in the disc?

Awaiting your awesome and holy pronouncement.

Grovelingly Yours
Grasshopper

zqwerty
04-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Beautiful.

godfather
04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Ahhh Grassmoker....oops I mean Grasshopper

When thou activateth the installation, thy hash code from thy PC hardware be storeth on Redmond's servers against thy installation key for thy software. If thou chooseth not to activateth the installation then it shall fail to work after but a short time.

It knoweth then how many instances be activated, and verily I say, will stop activating any more when the number installed exceedeth the limit that is recognised from the key code "family", which idicates the version.

So, ye can indeed go forth and multiply the number of incarnations, but ye cannot breathe life into those number of them above that which Oh Great Bill hath decreed you can haveth.

The installation key holdeth the identity and version of thy software, be it Academic, OEM or Retail Full. Thy disc itself may also rely on the correct family type of key (OEM, AE or Retail) but not the actual key itself.

How do you keep it dry enough to smoke down in Southland anyway, that is more the enigma, Grass"hopper"?

zqwerty
04-06-2004, 03:51 PM
***Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh***Ooooooooooohhhhh***Bugger

Winston001
04-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Humble Grasshopper is honoured by wise words. Alas your lowly servant has no affinity for pastoral or fungal fruits. Also sadly Grasshopper cannot hold down Great One's favoured libation of Canterbury Daught. Must make do with sacred Bluff Oyster.

Fire-and-Ice
04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
> When thou activateth the installation, thy hash code from thy PC hardware be storeth on Redmond's servers against thy installation key for thy software. If thou chooseth not to activateth the installation then it shall fail to work after but a short time.

But what if the offending PCs are not connected to the internet at all? ;-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
04-06-2004, 05:35 PM
I think, if I remember correctly, the Academic version is exactly the same as the normal version, but it requires your student ID (or teacher's ID, etc.) to be sighted before they can sell it to you. The "Students" and "Teachers" version does not need the ID, anyone can buy it. It just activates on three PCs and 4 (or so) basic programs [used by the typical student/teacher] as somebody already said.

However, saying all that, we now go back to the EULA issue. While Microsoft has its "law" to protect its intellectual property from being used against their wills. There is no doubt that there are heaps of middleage workers using the student/teachers version when they were last at school maybe 10-15 years ago. How would MS know? To top this off, some retailers, owned by Asian owners, still sell these software without sighting IDs or anything. That's exactly how they do things in Asia, who cares about the EULA. They just want to make profit out of the sale. If society was so well behaved, there wouldn't be any problem.

Also, unless your sure the software is right for you, I'd suggest you visit here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=47930)

godfather
04-06-2004, 05:38 PM
> But what if the offending PCs are not connected to
> the internet at all?

Then the telephone is needed. The giving and receiving of numbers will activate it. Or not, as the case may be. Or you could write to them if no telephone I suppose...
Activation is usually a painless process unless the rules are tested strongly.

> Must make do with sacred Bluff Oyster

No thanks.
A nice piece of blue cod will do instead. In batter, with chips...

BernieL
04-06-2004, 05:59 PM
But if your Dad is a teacher wait just a moment for the new Office release as announced recently by our beloved Minister and get it for FREE!!!!