PDA

View Full Version : mailwasher/Billy T

effie C
03-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi, Billy T,
would you tell me/the world, what you had to pay for your v4.Mailwasher v 4.1 Pro?
I had been fairly happy with the potential of v2, excepting the constant error "wrong password" etc- but it has cut my spam back from 80 odd a day to 10 or so.
Feeling that as the site invited donations to work on it above $3 I sent a cheque for $10 which was promptly cashed at the end of May, BUT now I get a constant barrage of stupid e mails from a Jeremy asking for my credit card number so they can find out why I had not received any key to install the pro version
I would have an automatic reply saying that I could expect a reply in two working days- yeah right ! and that happens every time and I am still none the wiser.
Now it appears I have to pay U S $39 odd to get a licence, and that was NOT stated at the beginning.
It looks like I will have to write off the donation even for my 30 day "free" trial- and I am NOT amused.
effie c

Scouse
03-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi Effie. Looks like a cock-up in the works somewhere. I too made a small donation a long time ago and since have received every update free. Now on 4.1. All I get is a short message stating that the update is available and to click on a link.
The last email contained an invitatoion to contact Nick as follows.....

- For all MailWasher Pro related technical support queries, please email us at: mailwasher@firetrust.com

Is that where you have already tried?

effie C
03-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi scouse,
I sure have - and as an ex business man of many many years -I ain't amused- if I tried the tactics employed there I would have to face the wrath of quite a few Govt., depts as I consider it very misleading!
Even worse is the two day delay before a human answers and then as I have aleadt said - such vaue enquiries require nother e mail with two more days delay!
The V 2 does NOT state any fee and a "small donation above @three will get me a more permaent state- Ha !!!
It wil be interesting to see what Billy T has to say when he sees my post
effie c

effie C
03-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi scouse,
I sure have - and as an ex business man of many many years -I ain't amused- if I tried the tactics employed there I would have to face the wrath of quite a few Govt., depts as I consider it very misleading!
Even worse is the two day delay before a human answers and then as I have aleadt said - such vaue enquiries require nother e mail with two more days delay!
The V 2 does NOT state any fee and a "small donation above @three will get me a more permaent state- Ha !!!
It wil be interesting to see what Billy T has to say when he sees my post
effie c

Scouse
03-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi effie.... even more when he both of them.....
>>It wil be interesting to see what Billy T has to say when he sees my post

Billy T
03-06-2004, 08:59 PM
>>It will be interesting to see what Billy T has to say when he sees my post

?:|

I'm not quite sure why I am supposed to be so interested in these posts, but my Mailwasher Pro cost me $29.95 (on the Kiwis-only discount option) and I was pleased to pay that in support of a fine Kiwi product.

Now that you know all this, how about explaining why I am interested. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Baldy
03-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi Billy,
I think they made a small donation (as per the website) and are still getting the free version - not Pro
That what it sounds like anyway

zqwerty
03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
I have the original version and Mailwasher Pro and they don't seem that useful to me. Admittedly I only get a bit of spam but when I have to try time after time to get it to connect to Hotmail and after umteen "connection gracefully refused" or some such message and then I move to the trial Pro version and find the same problem, I won't be buying it. On Win98Se and Win2KPro same hardware, suppose it could be something with my setup but?

Rob.

Baldy
03-06-2004, 09:20 PM
The Xtra spam filter works a treat for me.
I have used Mailwasher, but is very ponderous

Billy T
04-06-2004, 10:12 AM
> The Xtra spam filter works a treat for me.
> I have used Mailwasher, but is very ponderous

That's interesting Baldy, I find the performance of Xtra's spam filter less than stellar, and of course it doesn't help with any of my other email addresses.

I must admit I found the free version of Mailwasher a bit balky, but the Pro version is very good. It has logged just about 100% of the sources and types of email I don't want and this morning there were about 18 spam ads & viruses on three addresses, a few watch notifications from PF1 and two wanted messages. One click disposes of the rubbish, I delete the notifications manually and 30 seconds later I have two emails I want to read.

It only takes a couple of minutes to set up the "mail not to me" feature by adding in your own addresses and that's it.

It was well worth the price and has been updated free once since purchase. No doubt there are competitors out there that are equally as effective but they are all Curate's Eggs so the differences are moot.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

effie C
04-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi Billy T -- your expertise is what I seek ;-) interested or not ! :-) thanks anyway.
After a string of very blunt e mails,from me, each requiring 2 days ere they are answered, and even then getting durrh!!!! type of answers, I wrote an even more brusque letter and the long and the short of it is, I was yesterday, posted the so called missing key ( seven lines of variable letters and numbers, which when pasted into the required site- has now left me with a fully operational program. Yes it is good, and I might add, no longer has the "error- wrong password" popping up.

On the Internet the price was stated as US $39 - converting toi say NZ $60 odd, just not what was offered on their N Z site.
It is American, Nick Bolton may be the N Z agent - I don't know
effie c

godfather
04-06-2004, 10:39 AM
> It is American, Nick Bolton may be the N Z agent - I
> don't know

Nick Boulton is a New Zealander, and he wrote the MailWasher program.

effie C
04-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Thank you Godfather,
That is good news - it is now a viable and very useful program--- after my long battle- the thing that intrigues me is that on the internet the program is quoted in US dollars - anyway good luck to Nick Bolton
Effie c

Billy T
04-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Sorry effie, I thought that there was some special reason why I should be interested, eg I had posted a controversial opinion on the topic at some time and I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was. No offence intended.:8}

To get the Kiwis-only price, from memory you have to go ahead with an online order and when the program detects that you are fron GodZone the special offer pops up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
04-06-2004, 03:28 PM
> I delete the
> notifications manually and 30 seconds later I have
> two emails I want to read.

So why subscribe to them?

Billy T
04-06-2004, 04:49 PM
D'oh :^O

So that I know when to go back and look at the threads WTF.

Whatever did you think......................?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Fire-and-Ice
04-06-2004, 05:05 PM
> > I delete the
> > notifications manually and 30 seconds later I have
> > two emails I want to read.
>
> So why subscribe to them?

?:|

Are we supposed to keep all the email notifications to watchs we subscribe to? Can't really see much point in that once we have read the new posts. ;-)

Baldy
04-06-2004, 07:47 PM
> > > I delete the
> > > notifications manually and 30 seconds later I
> have
> > > two emails I want to read.
> >
> > So why subscribe to them?
>
> ?:|
>
> Are we supposed to keep all the email notifications
> to watchs we subscribe to? Can't really see much
> point in that once we have read the new posts. ;-)

It always amuses me why people subscribe to the PressF1 watches. By the time they have probably received the email about a reply to a thread, they have probably read the post. Hence they have watched the watch

Fire-and-Ice
04-06-2004, 08:38 PM
> It always amuses me why people subscribe to the
> PressF1 watches. By the time they have probably
> received the email about a reply to a thread, they
> have probably read the post. Hence they have watched
> the watch

You don't have to subscribe to every thread you post in, its possible to subscribe to just the ones that interest you. ;-)

Billy T
05-06-2004, 12:09 AM
> It always amuses me why people subscribe to the
> PressF1 watches. By the time they have probably
> received the email about a reply to a thread, they
> have probably read the post. Hence they have watched
> the watch

Not me Baldy, I check in to PF1 at irregular intervals, and for business reasons I check my email far more often than that. The notifications tell me who has answered what post, and then I can decide whether it is worth opening up PF1 to look (or not, as the case may be, for certain responders, unlamented and unmissed.)

Each to his own, some find them useful, others don't .

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|