PDA

View Full Version : Virus scanner not showing when sending mail

firebrix
03-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Greetings all

I have a few problems which I'm unfamiliar with. I have XP Home updated except for the Office update which I'm waiting for to come out on disc - we have dial up and its a huge download and I often get bumped.
I use NAV2003 fully updated and recently upgraded to the new free Zone Alarm 5 from the previous version which worked well.
Since then I do not see the little window that comes up to show NAV is scanning outgoing mail in Outlook Express. I turned off the anti-virus feature in Zone Alarm but still have the problem. I get a wee green arrow on the task bar but no window showing scan progress. What is that about?
Also since the new install of the Zone Alarm, it has been difficult to get some web pages to open, but I do not know if this is my ISP's problem or related to the Zone Alarm update.
If I knew HOW I would revert to the old Zone Alarm to see if that fixes the problem, but I have heard that it is not easy to remove Zone Alarm.
Please help.
firebrix

effie C
03-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi, firebrix,
been there done that -
Your Nortons has a small square / window in which you have to place a tick in the outgoing mail-
go to Nortons( bring onto screen >go to options<ckick e mail> click "scan outgoing e mail.
I have had no troubles with the latest Zonealarm and that is unique- if it could cause - I would get it :-)Murphies Law.
But in Zonealarm you have to ensure the blue tick in server ar ether - not a cross or whatever
Good luck
effie c

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi Firebrix,

Welcome to PressF1 :-)

Who is your ISP and what sites are you having issues getting to display?

Chill.

nzStan
03-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Zone Alarm 5 could be the problem. It has been reported before that ZA5 has some incompatibility problem with some virus scanners.

My suggestion is download a copy of ZA4.5 (or if you have one, keep it ready).

Then disconnect, go to your control panel and uninstall ZA5. Reboot. Then install ZA4.5 and all should be sweet again.

There is nothing critically wrong with 4.5.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Theres no point scanning outgoing mail anyway.

If it doesn't catch it on the way in, it sure won't catch it on the way out.

firebrix
03-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Thank you all!!
Much appreciated.
Chilling Silence,ISP is actrix and what's happening is when I open more than 3 windows I get the old "Cannot connect to server" message. I think nzStan's hit the problem - its the Zone Alarm 5 cos I've just found the page here where everyone's talking about it, been to the Zone Labs support pages and my 'puta seems to have the same probs as those. Virus scanner not appearing when sending mail, pages not opening..... o wow. I am SO Stoopid.
Thanks Effie - but it is ticked.
I don't think I'll be able to follow Zone Lab's advice on cleaning ZA 5 out completely; sounds scarey for a newbie, so I am using the laptop which has a different firewall because I'm afraid I might unwittingly send someone a virus from the PC (altho' it was clean yesterday) Can anyone tell me whether it is safe to use my PC while it is in this state of disrepair?
I am HOPING that Zone Labs put out a fix for this or I'll have to travel 2 hours and leave the PC there for 2 days while an expert attempts to clean Zone Alarm out. We live in nowhereville.
I have learned something anyway. Wait a few days before installing something new. Check this page first!
Oh. Sudden thought. Can I just system restore to the date prior to the install of ZA? If I do so, will I lose all the work I have completed since the restore?
Thank you all very much for your help.
firebrix

Fire-and-Ice
03-06-2004, 07:46 PM
> Oh. Sudden thought. Can I just system restore to the date prior to the install of ZA? If I do so, will I lose all the work I have completed since the restore?

No harm in trying that at all. ;-)

Your documents and data won't be affected but as with any "experimentation" its always a good idea to backup important stuff first.