PDA

View Full Version : Atten:chill

miknz
02-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Was just doing a search on asus laptops and I see that you were looking at getting one (see this link) http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=45307&message=253361&q=%22asus+laptop%22#253361 . Did you go for the asus in the finish and if so how do you find it. Am looking at getting one myself and would be interested in your feedback.

Cheers
Mik

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi Mike,

No, I didnt in the end.

I went with a Clevo Laptop, from:
http://www.einfo.co.nz/cart/Details.asp?ProductID=515

Quite pleased with it. Ive had some troubles with it crashing, but its just CPU overheating. The supplier has sold over 1000 in New Zealand and only two came back, mine and one other.

They're great laptops at a great price!

Hope this helps

Chill.

miknz
02-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that, PC guy in town has talked me out of getting a toshiba and into one of these asus jobs. Had never heard of them before but he assured me that they are reliable and get good reviews.

thanks for the quick response

mik

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Which one did you get?

We puchased one for a client, he's sung nothing but praises of it. They're very reliable from what I've seen :-) Not too bulky, not too heavy... Nice laptops IMO :-)

Chill.

miknz
02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Havent decided exactly yet but probably a2400h 2.4 gig celeron 40gighdd.
they are supposed to be a little more rugged than the toshiba and hp's. looking through the einfo site you posted before I may end up getting one from there yet, thanks for the link!!! could save myself $400!

mik

tech_meister
03-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Don't get a celeron !
The P4 is much faster and does not cost too much more.
I can recomend the Clevo and the ECS laptops.
I have sold quite a few with no probs.

Winston001
03-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Yo Mik. I agree. Don't get a Celeron. Try to get a Mobile processor which will give you much extended battery life. Runs a lot cooler too.

Centrino would be even better.

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2004, 01:21 PM
The battery in my Clevo Notebook runs for about 2 1/2 hours at full 2.8Ghz speed :D

Growly
03-06-2004, 06:39 PM
this is interesting, the only two laptos i have at the mo are a TOSHIBA with a 486 and 16 colour screen, and a 20 year old portable desktop with black and orange screen.

miknz
09-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks to all those that helped out, I have decided on a Toshiba A10. The asus in my price bracket have gone out of stock for a while, also had to look at local service agent, that is it is a bit rough to by a comp. out of town and then expect a local repairer to help when i break it. Thats the way I see it anyway.

Should get the new lappy tomorrow

Mike

metla
09-06-2004, 10:43 PM
uh...i doubt for a second any "local repairer" would give a rats about where the item came from,work is work.

And even then a local would only get there hands on it once it was out of warrenty.

and even then as far as laptops go i would be hesitent to put it in the hands of a local repairer.

Mike
09-06-2004, 10:47 PM
miknz,

Just thought I'd let you know (as I noticed you'd mentioned earlier that you hadn't heard of Asus) - Asus are quite well respected for making quality computer hardware (make some of the best motherboards around, amongst other things), so wouldn't be a bad buy in any case (IMHO).

However I think you'll still be quite happy with your decision to get a Toshiba - they're well known as one of the top laptop makers around.

Mike.