PDA

View Full Version : Tracing where my connection is slowing down

Jester
02-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi

I have been experiencing a slow and irregular 256K connection in the past few weeks, particularly on gaming, but I have noticed that web browsing is slower.

Orcon suggested Telecom were throttling gaming and file sharing ports, Telecom have been very helpful, said that they don't throttle on 256, and said recently that there have also been reports of others having the same problem. They suggested I ran tracert to see where any slowdown is, which I did and sent them the results. I am waiting now to hear back from them as to what they suggest.

I installed Neotrace as well to run a trace too, and there is an IP address that seems to be a bottleneck (often over 200 ping), the # is 192.168.253.1.

Isn't this a local IP address, and if so, why is traffic routing through it? I scanned IP addresses in the 192.168.253.xxx range using an IP scanner and found many 'live' ones there. Pinging it in a command window gives an average of 186 ms. It makes no difference whether my firewall is on of off to the results. I can't find any ref to this address in my router settings though.

Connecting to the JSG Realm is fine, full speed with no fluctuations in bandwidth.

Can anyone shed any light on my plight?

Cheers

J
:D

Graham L
02-06-2004, 03:15 PM
An host with an IP address in the range 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 is "non-routable" and shouldn't be accessible outside its own internet. If a trace is showing such an address, have a look at the immediately adjacent host addresses. The same organisation must own all three devices. That is, your packets must be reaching an Internet-accessible router, going to an internal host (at 192...) then going out through another Internet-accessible device.

It's odd for an "internal" host be visible. I would go as far as to say that it's wrong. ;-) Your objection is that it appears to be slow. :D Maybe it's the US Echelon monitoring which is doing it. ;-)

Jester
02-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi Graham, thanks for your input

I am at work at the moment so can't post exact details, but it seems to go to an external IP - 50 or so ping, then the 192 addy - hangs there and gets 200 ping, then back out to external IP to carry on to the end target.

Is there a way of copying the contents of the tracert result in the command window, into notepad or similar to show what it looks like? I can't copy the list in Neotrace either for some reason. Alternatively I can put up a screenshot.

Cheers

J

Graham L
02-06-2004, 04:01 PM
I don't know if this will work in XP's "nonDOS" but tracert blah.blah.com > c:\tracert.txt might make a file of the ouput.

Jester
02-06-2004, 05:04 PM
The export to a text file didn't work, so here are some screenshots.

It appears the first step is never responded to, it goes to 210.55.67.64 then back to the 192.168.253.1 address, then on from there. Here is the trace route to Orcon, which made it successfully - in the end.

Tracert - Orcon (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/tracert_orcon.jpg)

I then tried PC World, but it timed out, so I did a ping first, which worked, then trace routed it again.

Tracert - PC World (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/tracert_pcworld.jpg)

I also got a timeout just earlier when going to this PF1 site too, whether that's any to do with this..

Firewall and AVG were both off when carrying out the tests too.

:|
J.

Jester
02-06-2004, 05:16 PM
I am not alone .... (http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59539)

Jester
03-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Update

I have been conversing via Telecom on this issue. I have been given a temporary login to see if it's my PC, Telecom, or Orcon.

The new log on flies!! Gaing pings are back in the 40 - 60's, pages are loading in a flash, and downloads start straight away with a constant speed.

It is a 222 addy again, but the traceroutes dont go through the 192.168.253.1 IP address, which seems to be the bottleneck.

Looks to me as if Orcon need to sort something out with their traffic :(

Will let you know what happens with further correspondence with Orcon.

J