PDA

View Full Version : Computer locks up K6 AMD

Mzee
02-06-2004, 11:13 AM
My old K6 AMD AT locks up on a regular basis. When you click a right mouse it will seize on the drop menu, or of you display a graphic the program seizes.
If you right click on the desk top the mouse will seize. If I use a PS2 mouse it goes beserk, loads everything. I have to use a serial mouse.

I have changed the RAM for a set from a computer which works OK.
Replaced Disk drive and replaced ME with XP. The only difference is that with ME you have to reset to get out of it, and XP will respond to Task Manager.
I have tried removing the sound card & modem. Card contacts have been cleaned.
I have not changed the video card which is a Nvidia Vanta wih 16megs.

I suspect that the problem with the PS2 socket is extensive & that the lockups are part of that. It looks like I need a new motherboard :-(

tweak\'e
02-06-2004, 11:29 AM
are you running a k6 or k6-2 ?? what speed? you would be pushing it to run XP on a k6 ;-)

>replaced ME with XP

upgrade or clean install?

what motherboard and video card drivers are you useing ?

even with a dead ps2 port the serial mouse should still work fine. is the ps2 port disabled in bios?

Murray P
02-06-2004, 11:29 AM
What mother board (not Jetway I hope). Have you tried a different mouse, did you install from the same driver source. When you loaded XP, did you upgrade from ME or did you format and install from fresh. Is this a laptop?

Cheers Murray P

Mzee
03-06-2004, 02:22 AM
The Motherboard is BCM VPi541, Chipset: ALi Mi541 Aladdin5
CPU: AMD K6-2 500mhz.

First of all, it is a myth that XP does not run on old computers. So long as there is adequate RAM and the speed 330mhz or more, a fast drive helps as well.
This computer has run XP for several years. When it started its trouble I changed to ME but it was worse.
The PS2 mouse goes beserk, the serial mouse locks up, but a USB mouse works fine, absolutely stable & fast.
There must be a fault in the serial ports. This is not a problem as no serial devices are used with it.

kiwibeat
03-06-2004, 11:43 AM
try another graphics card

Mzee
03-06-2004, 03:36 PM
I tried another Graphics card. no change.
Have now disabled the com ports in Bios and using a USB mouse.
Running well and stable.
Must be a fault in the serial port circuits.
Don't need the serial ports so OK.