PDA

View Full Version : Linux and HAM Modems

rolly
01-06-2004, 11:25 PM
I run a dual boot system on a Pentium3 450 PC with Windows 98Se and Mandrake Linux v9.2. Under the previous versions of mandrake (9.0 and 9.1) I downloaded free Linux software drivers for my PCI Conexant winmodem for Internet access. This worked very well.

I can download drivers for Mandrake v9.2 which now have a charge.

Rather than do that, I was considering purchasing an internal v90 PCI HAM modem from Dick Smith, ($34) which supports Linux.

Has anyone used this particular modem to gain Internet access through a Linux distribution? If so, how successful has that been.

JohnD
01-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Had a strange problem yesterday with this modem on Win98 installed on PCDirect Celeron333. Did a reinstall for somebody which also involved installing a new modem. Seemed to setup OK, dialled but would not connect to ISP. When you picked up a phone and dialled a number with the modem plugged in , just returned to dial tone. Removed the modem from the telephone system - all fine again with the telephone. Figured it was a faulty modem and got another one - same results. Called DSE help in AK - had no idea. Gave up on the modem and got another one to work fine.

mikebartnz
01-06-2004, 11:51 PM
A Ham modem is actualy only partialy compatabile with Linux. If you want a truely compatable modem buy an external modem. The Ham modem uses the intel Ham chipset but still uses the cpu to process things where as an external modem is self contained.

rolly
01-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the good advice-external modem it is.

tech_meister
02-06-2004, 12:22 AM
You sometimes have to update the chipset drivers to get some winmodems to work on win98, this particularly true for Via chipsets

Dolby Digital
02-06-2004, 09:19 AM
I tried a Dick Smith HAM modem ($34) with Mandrake 9.1 and it worked fine. From memory there is an issue if you use Mandrake 9.2 with the DSE modem.

Having said that I normally use an external modem as it is less hassle with Linux.