PDA

View Full Version : Sould I go?



Megaman
01-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi all. I saw in the paper today there is a Linux install-fest going on at the local uni. I am having a few problems getting an outdated version of linux installing, so I was planning on going and getting them to do it.

they say the minimum specs should be 450mhz, 128mb RAM, 4x CD-ROM (or network card).

The computer I plan on is an AMD-166mhz, 32MB-RAM, 20xCD-ROM (That dosen't like CD-Rs) Network card (A whole 10mbs) and a stuffed floppy. Apparently this will be good as a firewall, but not much else. So should I get it working, or dump it? I plan on using it as an internet terminal, and for "Crunching" for nz_liam.

It costs about $5, so is it worth it?

Jen C
01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
>they say the minimum specs should be 450mhz, 128mb RAM, 4x CD-ROM (or network card).

In that case the distro's they have lined up for installation will not be suitable for your machine "as is". Contact them and explain what your specs are and what your expected use of the machine is, and see if they have any advice. They may be able to provide a suitable distro for you and install it.

Elephant
01-06-2004, 09:47 PM
> Hi all. I saw in the paper today there is a Linux
> install-fest going on at the local uni. I am having a
> few problems getting an outdated version of linux
> installing, so I was planning on going and getting
> them to do it.
OK so far.
>
> they say the minimum specs should be 450mhz, 128mb
> RAM, 4x CD-ROM (or network card).
OK so far again.
>
> The computer I plan on is an AMD-166mhz
Specs and yours is 166 Mhz as opposed to 450 Mhz.

128 Mb RAM as opposed to your 32MB-RAM.

4x CDRom drive and you have 20X that does not appear to work.

> 20xCD-ROM (That dosen't like CD-Rs) Network card (A
> whole 10mbs) and a stuffed floppy. Apparently this
> will be good as a firewall, but not much else. So
> should I get it working, or dump it? I plan on using
> it as an internet terminal, and for "Crunching" for
> nz_liam.


>
> It costs about $5, so is it worth it?
Possibly. It will cost you a $5.00 entry fee to learn more. I have know idea what linux distribution offered but based on specs I would say it won't work on your hardware.

For $5.00 I wuold go and learn more about Linux but based on specs the version offered wont work on your hardware.

Just my humble opinion.

Elephant
01-06-2004, 09:54 PM
My thoughts too.

I like the idea for people to try other operating systems than a version of Windows.

I know there are other operating systems including Linux that will run on the hardware mentioned. I do have a problem with the CD drive in the hardware though.

Without a CDRom drive, Network card, spare hard drives, parallel cables etc how will Linux be installed?

Chilling_Silence
01-06-2004, 09:57 PM
My advice would be to get hold of a CD-Rom Drive for the day and download and take along Vector Linux.

Somebody will help you install it hopefully :-)

Elephant
01-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Hmmmm....

But Megaman says they have a CDRom drive x20 that does not like CDR disks. This worries me a little.