PDA

View Full Version : PC Co. info...

J ZEP
01-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Hi All, I received this email last night, as i am an ex pc company customer - from former owner/managing director, Colin Brown. Basically it says he is still in the biz, as he brought the pc co. stock and assets off the Receiver and has been slowly working through selling off this stock...
This is the first i have heard of anything along these lines since the companies demise... anybody heard of "Pegasus Electronics" in Hamilton?

Anyway thought it may be of interest to some

Copy of the email at their site (http://www.pegasus.co.nz/email.html)

Cheers

Actually it was quite good reading about where we stand with our warranties etc... even though i knew standard warranties were covered by CMANZ, i had presumed this covered my extended warranty too, unfortunately not :-( - thought i was dreaming to expect that :-).

Misty
01-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Looks pretty Ok to me. I will probably be a subscriber. I was a PC Company client and they always did fine by me !
Misty :) B-)

Steve Askew
01-06-2004, 05:49 PM
It's a bit like Jesus rising from the dead. LOL

They shoud've taken all the PC Company stuff to the landfill

Steve

fergie
01-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, i got that to - was a bit weary, but i tried joining up and i kept getting errors

whiskeytangofoxtrot
01-06-2004, 06:52 PM
> but i tried
> joining up and i kept getting errors

They remain true to form :D

kiki
01-06-2004, 09:02 PM
:^O :^O On a side note, mine just blew up :O No warranty for me!

Steve Askew
01-06-2004, 09:15 PM
> :^O :^O On a side note, mine just blew up :O No
> warranty for me!

Last week I had to replace a faulty HDD & a cd-rw that was very fussy with the discs it read & also remove a faulty stick of ram from a PC Company machine that was 2 year old.:O
I must admit I was surprised to see it had a 250 watt PSU .
Previous one I had here was 140 Watt.

Steve

metla
01-06-2004, 09:18 PM
How many times does that guy have to go under to get the message,he should in no way be allowed to run a computer company.

Elephant
01-06-2004, 09:32 PM
> How many times does that guy have to go under to get
> the message,he should in no way be allowed to run a
> computer company.

Why not then?

metla
01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Because he has failed 7 times in a row,and distributed a boatload of low quality system's all over NZ,artifically lowering the base price for pc's,he was just one of many to suffer due to his business practices.

The fact that he has managed to save himself when everything else crunbles around him is a tragedy,the man should be made to suffer the fate of other repaet bankrupts,and be forbidden from being a company director.

Just my view though,Don't read to much into it,I have no desire to get into another argument with you Elephant,its forum lore that you and i see nearly everything from a different perspective.

tech_meister
01-06-2004, 11:41 PM
I have to agree with metla.
That guy is a joke! By the look of the letter he's trying to
stick it to the unsuspecting PC public again.
I have fixed enough PC company PC's to know that they were just junk
5 inch HDD's ?:|

robsonde
02-06-2004, 12:17 AM
> these lines since the companies demise... anybody
> heard of "Pegasus Electronics" in Hamilton?

strange.....
Pegasus Electronics was a company that sold computers about 8 years ago and then was "brought out by" or "somehow became" the PC company.....

Sb0h
02-06-2004, 08:34 AM
I'd like to know how he managed to buy the remaining PC Co stock from the receivers (probably at a cheap rate) and then resell it to the public. Surely if he had money to do that he should have been paying creditors first (if he is as honourable as he makes out in his email). Certainly he should have been banned, there is no accountability for his poor company management, he just starts up again under a new name and all the poor people who were screwed by him dip out. That is just WRONG!!

BTW my parents bought a PC Co computer about 2-3 years ago andthe setup was a shambles. The floppy wasn't operating (they hadn't set the BIOS up properly) and the system was running like a pig. After some BIOS and Windows optimisation it was up to speed, but really it shouldn't have left the store in that condition. I don't know who they had assembling but trained monkeys could have put the system together better.

Biggles
02-06-2004, 11:45 AM
The PC Company boss gets back into business (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2865597a6022,00.html) - Stuff

Biggles
02-06-2004, 11:48 AM
And, of cousre, Pegasus and Brown were famously victims in the collapse of Best Buy, back in 97:

Pegasus returns Best Buys fire (http://idg.net.nz/news.nsf/UNID/CC256CED0016AD1ECC25684C000DCBC5?OpenDocument) - Computerworld

SKT174
02-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Haha .. what a joke

in the email it said ...

By signing up to The PC Company Club, you would get:

# A complimentary copy of a book I intend to write (and need to). This is not yet set in stone! After 28 years I would love to share some of the successes and failures. Its very tough being in business and any information I can give to entrepreneurs would be great, as well as telling some of The PC Company story.

Wonder if the book will be named "How to make everyone pay for your own mistakes"

metla
02-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Indeed, I found the entire "email" quite...um...I suppose repugnant maybe the word.

And I wonder who these Computer retailers are he speaks of, I fail to see why any company would throw in their lot with him, how is he needed? What could he possibly bring to the table.

tech_meister
02-06-2004, 05:46 PM
I can't believe that anyone would still buy a PC off that man!

They must be cheap?

Woody
03-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Bought one about a year ago maybe year and a half. No prob's at all.
Runs like a dream. Service from Andrew at Nelson branch - brilliant.
2.4GHz pentium 80 GHz HD Nvidia graphics - great
Rgds

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-06-2004, 04:08 PM
It is something that I myself am guilty of, bitching about PC Company machines etc, however realistically there isn't much to whinge about.

The company sold thousands of PC's, possibly 100's of thousands. In a market saturated with a particular brand, there are inevitably going to be failures - the scientific law of s*%t happening. If 60% of NZ drove Toyota cars, there'd obviously be a seemingly higher incidence of failure, purely because so many people own them.

Those of us involved in IT work of course, only see the broken or faulty machines - we don't see the ones that soldier on tirelessly. Even those on the forum here would see that - people aren't going to call ISP helpdesks, take machines into "technicians", or post here to say "Hey, my PC's working great"

My parents, and grandparents both have PC Co machines that have never skipped a beat, and are over 5 years old - still going strong. The machines were never designed as powerhouses, they can still surf the net, FW: poor quality joke e-mails, and type documents. That is all that the majority of users need and want them to do.

We even have multiple PC Co machines employed at my workplace as workstations, and they perform their function fine.

I no way am I loyal to PC Co or any reason, but a bit of logic can apply in this case.

The quality of management etc is something else.

metla
03-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Seems to me that the sheer cost of maintaining there machines and inability of those employed to do so was what ruined it for them,which is to be expected when you saturate the market with machines that have a high probability of failure.

Where did i read they had a 70 percent failure rate with supplied ram and still continued to use it?

SKT174
03-06-2004, 05:27 PM
This isn't about PC Co bitching.

It's his attitude that's the problem. He choose to use crap components to built their PCs and when the problem gets out of hand. Just shuts down the company and let CMANZ take all the crap he left behind.

Then he opens up another company and start trading again... that's nice, he gets away with his old company warranty issues, CMANZ is taking care of it. And for those customers who paid extra money previously in PC Co to extend their PC warranty, what do they get? Nothing as CMANZ won't warrant it.

G-Dog
03-06-2004, 05:44 PM
They've fixed that now - I sent them an email and it was fine the second time :)

G-Dog
03-06-2004, 06:00 PM
I used to work for the company, and I find the comments from the likes of SKT174 rather amusing - as for CMANZ - it was Colin Brown who established it in the first place because he took on all of the old Best Buy warranties (I serviced many of them myself) - which he lost money on - and was precisely the reason CMANZ was set up. Some people get hard done by I suppose, but at the end of the day it is still better than nothing. I also see in his email they they're supposedly going to give free labour on warranties - at least that's a start.

Admittedly I am a little bitter about the whole debacle, I lost my job and found things tough going, and we really didn't know what was going on until the last minute (thanks to the #%$# of an Ops manager) but as far as Colin went - he was hard but fair and I think the bagging of him is a little unjustified.

Yes, some of the components weren't the best quality, but just because lots of HDDs and Monitors etc. failed - does that mean Dell shouldn't use Likom monitors? or are Seagate HDD's crap? I was proud to work for a company that was employing NZers and was a true NZ company. If you go and buy a Dell you give some dude in the US your money, and pay the wages (which are bugger all) of some worker in Malaysia - I'm all for buying an NZ made PC - I just bought my last one from the Green PC Co. and am pleased to know my money goes back in to the NZ economy.

Some of you PC enthusiasts need to stop bitching and look at the bigger picture - I don't think the guy is mailing us to make money - I think he genuinely wants to try and help people (well the gist of his email suggests that), as far as I am aware, the PC Co. is the only business Colin Brown has been associated with that has failed (someone here has mentioned 7 times). Kerry Mancer (the ex marketing manager) however was involved with Best Buy before the PC Co. and is probably the one you're thinking of...

tech_meister
03-06-2004, 09:27 PM
So why do you think the PC company went under?

and on a side note, I assume you must be a computer tech,
how come you buy your PC's from the Green PC company?
Why not just build your own.

Pheonix
03-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Damn, you can still hear the grindstones going as the knives come out again.
I'm afraid my sentiments are the same as WTF's. I have and still service PC Co computers and find failure rates in others just as high.
I don't hear that same vitriolic dialogue about Gateway that walked, or brand name PC's forcing you to purchase their generic spares at astronomical prices.
I have to give it to the man, he made PC's economical for the "average joe" to purchase . With that comes increased work for PC Tech's :D

G-Dog
03-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey Tech_meister, I bought from the Green PC for three reasons. 1) My old Athlon 850 just wasn't cutting the mustard, and 2) My new job means I have hardly any time (but lots more moohlah!) and I couldn't be bothered and 3) I will support an NZ company!

I totally agree about Gateway, I had a friend at the time when Gateway crapped itself and he got no support, no CMANZ - nothing! I ended up sussing his PC out for him and replacing a number of components.

As I said before, whilst the customer service etc. and some of the components were a bit dodgy at times, I think the finger being pointed at one person is a bit rank. I think more people should support NZ made PC's instead of lining the pockets fo corporate USA!

G-Dog
03-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Sorry tech_meister, forgot to answer your first question...

I think the main reason was the increase in foreign PC's (such as Dell and HP) flooding the consumer market, and the fact that the PC Co. couldn't compete on price and specs to the same extent, and couldn't spend the same sort of money on advertising. The company also went downhill when they appointed a CEO (from memory Colin tried to take more of a backseat role) - Rob Sweet. The guy was a tosser, and used to treat anyone who wasn't at the top of the food chain like crap. Colin at least used to come to the branches and meet us all and get involved - the other dude was faceless and all the bad publicity and stuff began to happen once he took over... I also remember a dude who went on to start up Macrocom who screwed the company over around 2000/1 as well for quite a bit of dosh from memory

JJJJJ
04-06-2004, 05:25 AM
I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned PC Direct as a comparison to the PC COmpany. PC Direct was a NZ company that set out to supply a reliable computer at realistic prices. Remember the publicity and the mad scramble amongst "name" brands when PC Direct anounced the first computer at under $3000 ?
Remember when PC Direct advertised that 386's were obsolete and they would only be selling 486 machines ? And remember the name brands rushing in and advertising their 386's at under$4000 ?
And PC Direct had an excellent warranty and an equally good repair service. Mind you, they needed it. They had plenty of faults , but they were repaired. My 486 dx2 50 went back for repairs at least six times over a two year period. It was replaced twice with a dx2 66 and then with a dx4 100. The monitor was replaced. Even the mouse was replaced a couple of times. Once a "help person" told me "the motherboard on your computer is rubbish and we are replacing all that model as they break down"
The point I am making here is that PC Direct kept trying to improve and keep their customers happy. They must have succeeded because they managed to sell the business for a reported $40,000,000. And when they went they left no disgruntled customers.
Compare them to this other company. Warranties not honoured. "thousands" of disgruntled customers. And the major shareholder walking away with presumably enough money to buy the assets of the bankrupt company.
So it seems a successful manufacturing business can be run in NZ. It just requires integrity and a genuine interest in keeping customers happy.
As a point of interest the only reason I never purchased a computer from PC Company was the sneaky "handling charge" they added to their advertised price. A bit like Dell's $90 freight charge.
Jack

JJJJJ
04-06-2004, 05:28 AM
My biggest complaint these days is computers can't spell properly.:D

G-Dog
04-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Nice quote about Colin's book SKT174 - no doubt coming from someone who has never had the balls to run their own business...

metla
04-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Haven't you already commented on his comments?

are you now just trying to bait him?

SKT174
04-06-2004, 12:44 PM
> Nice quote about Colin's book SKT174 - no doubt
> coming from someone who has never had the balls to
> run their own business...

Oooo .. getting personal eh?

You don't know me. You have no idea whether I have my own business or not, so stop making assumptions that you know nothing about.

This topic is related to PC Co . so please stick to it rather than telling someone whether they never had the balls to run their own business or not.

I'm sorry to hear that you have lost your job. Maybe you could consider starting up a business with your buddly old pal Colin.

Cheers :)

SKT174
04-06-2004, 12:45 PM
> Compare them to this other company. Warranties not
> honoured. "thousands" of disgruntled customers. And
> the major shareholder walking away with presumably
> enough money to buy the assets of the bankrupt
> company.

Exactly :)

G-Dog
04-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Sorry for getting personal - I just think you're all a little unjustified in persecuting the guy...

SKT174
04-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Hey .. let's blame the weather :D

And let's enjoy the long weekend, shall we G-Dog ? ;)