PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Software

MTaylor
01-06-2004, 04:15 PM
I have just bought an Olympus C5060 with Camedia Master 4.1 software. Love the camera, hate the software!! Having a nightmare of a time using it and cannot figure out how to reduce pictures enough to email quickly and successfully. Any ideas? I've tried reducing pixel size but picture still took over an hour to email out and then it bombed and didn't go thru!

Help.....

metla
01-06-2004, 04:19 PM
If your using XP then you can right click the picture,Choose send to Email,and it will ask if you want to resize it.

If your not on xp,something like easy thumbnail will do the job,letting you resize to any desired size as well as save in a more email freindly format(JPG) and do batch conversions if so wished.

metla
01-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Download link and a breif snippet.

http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10059451.html

Someone will probally mention infranview as well.......

Biggles
01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
If you have the PC World CD from March 2004, there are trial versions of several image editing programs on there, which should let you do what you want.

caffy
01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
May I suggest Irfanview? I've tried it and its relatively quick in making digital photos smaller and suitable for emailling.

Download it for free from here (http://www.irfanview.com/)

caffy
01-06-2004, 05:31 PM
sorry metla, didn't see your previous post mentioning irfanview...

tommy
01-06-2004, 08:07 PM
> If your using XP then you can right click the
> picture,Choose send to Email,and it will ask if you
> want to resize it.

If you are using Windows XP you can also download the PowerToys (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp) Image Resizer tool which gives a few more options with the right-click menu.

Bazza
01-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks Metla for the link to "EasyThumbnail" application..It is excellent, just the thing for resizeing & compressing images..

mikebartnz
01-06-2004, 11:01 PM
When it comes to resizing an image they all seem to differ but my favourite for the job is actually Corel Photo House 2.1. For some reason it seems to get a better size without too much loss of quality. As a program I swear by Irfanview but I get better reduction with Photo House.

robo
02-06-2004, 08:26 AM
I never install the software that comes with digital cameras.

I always use card reader, never plug in the camera.

I think it is a rule that the bundled software has to suck.
robo.

Scouse
02-06-2004, 08:30 AM
>>I think it is a rule that the bundled software has to suck.
robo.
A bit strong there Robo. I got my fist version of Nero bundled with a CD drive. Can't fault that.

Winston001
02-06-2004, 09:22 AM
I'll have to differ with you too Robo.

The PhotoImpression 4 which came with my Canon A70 seems very capable for the casual user. I now have Photoshop Elements 2 which is a big leap but if I wasn't a member of this forum I'd have been happily carrying on with PhotoImpression.

Horses for courses.

Cheers
Winston001

Biggles
02-06-2004, 09:42 AM
I too differ with Robo. I use a card reader too, but that is because I then get USB 2.0 transfer speed (the camera only supports 1.1) and I prefer simple drag and rop management of where I put things.

However, plenty of good software comes bundled with cameras - I've lost count of the time sI've seen Photoshop Elements bundled with a camera I've reviewed and it is one of the best budget image editing packages you can get.

Murray P
02-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Yep, P/S Elements that came bundled with my camera is great, fits nicely with my usage and abilities. I also use the bundled Zoom browser to download but I like the sound of a card reader and USB 2.2.

My programme of choice for viewing, resizing and thumbnailing is Irfanview which I use to check out the (multiple folders of thumbnailed) images I want then open those in the more resource hungry P/S Elements to edit.

Cheers Murray P

Biggles
02-06-2004, 10:57 AM
I use Jasc PaintShop Photo Album to preview thumbnails, sort out images to be deleted etc. It's also got a really useful crop function and does batch conversions. But I use Photoshop for image editing. Photoshop Elements does pretty much as good a job as Photoshop for most image tweaking task though, and in fact s some more user friendly tools than its big brother.

Peter
04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
I am very happy with MS Photo Editor. It crops and re-sizes amongst other goodies.

It's part of MS Office I think.

PeterE