PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Tablets and Mac OSX (Inkwell)

Greville
01-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Does anyone here know if the built in drivers in Mac OS X (I'm running 10.3.4) support generic USB tablets? The Wacom ones are, but they're out of my price range :) However the generic ones sold by the likes of DSE and Warehouse Stationary are in the justifiable price range.

Cheers,
Grev

metla
01-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Graphic tablets without pressure steps are completly useless,Make sure you know what your buying.

In example the walcom units have 512 shades available,Many of the cheaper crapola have just the one and have no advantage over a mouse.

Dunno about the drivers.

metla
01-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Ignore where i called them walcom will ya?

metla
01-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Just had a look at the dse site,seems there cheap and nasty unit has pressure steps as well.

Guess i just fired off 3 posts for no good reason..... :O

Greville
01-06-2004, 01:47 PM
> Just had a look at the dse site,seems there cheap and
> nasty unit has pressure steps as well.
>
> Guess i just fired off 3 posts for no good
> reason..... :O

No worries, I hadn't considered the presure steps issue so the posts were useful.

I've been drawing maps for a pen and paper RPG and I'm crap at drawing with a mouse so often will draw the coastlines and scan them in as black and white line art. Then drop them into an old version of Illustrator. I've always thought a tablet might cut out a few steps in the procedure.

My (now aging) iMac only has usb so that limits me when looking for a decent second hand tablet as most out there seem to be serial.

Cheers...

Graham L
01-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Have a look for xxxBSD drivers. MAC OSX is based on BSD Unix, so the clever people in those communities may have done them. (try something like "tablet driver BSD" to Google.

Greville
01-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I did some more digging on the DSE site and found some Mac drivers for both OS 9 and OS X. Funny they normally say that it's Mac OS compatible if they have drivers for it.

Cheers....:)