PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core - Why no mp3?

Growly
31-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Hey there,

I got sick of Knoppix not working (and no one could solve my problems), so i decided to install Fedora Core...

Now it's installed, and i'm amazed at how much cooler it is, but then I went to play some music, and I decided to go to into my windows computer using smb:// etc, and i copied the file over, and then i get a message saying something to the effect of:

Red Hat have decided to get rid of all MPEG layer 1/2/3 codecs etc because some greedy randoms thought that there licensing scheme conflicted with that of Red Hat's.

So what, I can't play MP3s? Oh dear...

I'm sure there's a way around this, or do I have to go and get more cds and install FreeBSD or Slackware or something debian -ish???

Please, alternatives!

[The other thing that was bugging me was that I couldn't log into my other windows computers. I use a domain, and when asked for a password and the windows passwords supplied, nothing happens! I thought linux supported the authentication.. or have I been lied to?]

Jen C
31-05-2004, 10:58 PM
>So what, I can't play MP3s? Oh dear...

You are correct. Red Hat and now Fedora do not include mp3 support due to legal issues in the US. However, it is very easy to install your own mp3 support to xmms. You just need to find what version of xmms you have, and then get the mp3-plugin off a non-US server which matches that version. It will support mp3's with no problems after that.

Let me know if you require help finding the correct plugin version. What Fedora Core release are you running?

Jen C
31-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Ok back again,

Hunted out the mp3 plugins for you :)

First make sure you know your current xmms version. Open up a Terminal Window (Console/Shell) and enter in xmms -v - this will return your version. It is very important you install the mp3 plugin which matches your version.

Below are links for Fedora Core 1's xmms version (please check this first tho) and Fedora Core 2's xmms version.

Please note the links will start a download of the file

Core 1 - 1.2.8 (http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/xmms-mp3-1.2.8-0.lvn.2.1.i386.rpm)

Core 2 - 1.2.10 (http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/xmms-mp3-1.2.10-0.lvn.1.1.i386.rpm)

Save this to your /home/{user_name} directory. Open up a Terminal Window again and enter in ls to make sure you can see your saved RPM. Then enter in su {no hyphen required} and then roots password. Next enter in:
rpm -Uvh xmms-mp3-{version_number}.i386.rpm
Now try xmms with a mp3 file :)

Murray P
01-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi Growly. My debian-ish Mepis linux doesn't have any problems playing mp3's. I guess updating from non-us deb servers is helpfull in that respect.

Cheers Murray P

Growly
01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Cheers guys,

on that note: does Fedora run on debian?

Jen C
01-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Fedora and Debian are separate distribution of Linux. They only share the kernel, and the rest of the package is tailored to the distribution. Fedora is a rpm packaged based distro and Debian uses deb packages. There are a variety of distro's that are debian based, such as Xandros, and likewise with Fedora, there are similar other distro's which also use the rpm packaging such as Mandrake. You can dual boot Fedora and Debian if you wish as two separate OS's.

Growly
01-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Oh i see...

Well as I've just started, I know pretty much nothing about linux...
I'm used to knowing so much about Windows architecture and how absolutely everything is supposed to work (in theory), and how every detail does something, and what all the shortcuts are, that now I feel quite lost!

Jen C
01-06-2004, 07:52 PM
> I'm used to knowing so much about Windows
> architecture and how absolutely everything is
> supposed to work (in theory), and how every detail
> does something, and what all the shortcuts are, that
> now I feel quite lost!

Welcome to the newbie Linux club! :p

Everyone starts off feeling like this - it is harder when you are quite competent in Windows to have that feeling of lack of control over your OS again. You get over it eventually :D

tmrafi
01-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Mate,

Dump Yankee Linux and switch to Euro Linux. (My personal preference is Mandrake Linux (http://www.mandrakelinux.com), current version 10.0). Plays Mpeg-1,2,3,4 out of the box
In my experience Mandrake Linux is the closest to MS-Windows as far as usage is concerned, including USB plug and play

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
01-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Correction:
Xandros is

Personally though, Ark Linux is better because its:
A. Free
B. Not afraid to hide that its Linux
C. Actively being developed with frequent releases

Chill.

Murray P
01-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Run Mepis up yet Chill?

Cheers Murray ;P

Chilling_Silence
01-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Havent had the chance, but I'm thinking of installing it on my Desktop PC in a little bit.

Its based on Debian right?
Im hoping it comes with some form of Devel tools coz I really want to recompile my kernel to 2.6 so I can have support for my Tuner Card without any hassles..

(Vearing Off-Topic here)
What are your thoughts on how well it stacks up for Windows similarities Murray?

Chill.

Murray P
02-06-2004, 12:47 AM
It definitely ain't windows but, I don't want a windows clone. Then again they don't make it too difficult to find things either if you have a vague idea of where to look. Trouble is I'm just a little too vague.

I guess it's a wee bit of culture shock as Jen C alludes to . I just need to find a little more time to get to know my new playmate. One thing that is a lot simpler than I thought is getting app's and upgrading. It will install just about anything from any distro. On that tone I suspect I'm well outside Debian stable spec's right now. It also has a couple of central areas for configuration, not quiet control panel but close enough to feel comfortable.

There's 18 app's in the Dev section but tooling around the extensive menu's and looking through what is installed according to Synaptic (it has other package managers, I like this one) there seems to be a fair bit to my untrained eye (QT for eg, wasn't someone enquiring about that on PF1?). CD 2 has more as far as I'm aware, still coming to grips with the selection of app's I have.

There is a newer release out now so will probably upgrade to it in the weekend. AFAIK I don't have to download the full ISO, just patch what I've got. I'll know soon enough ;). BTW Mepis is at # 10 on Distro Watch. It's supposed to be newbie friendly and fast.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Ran Knoppix briefly on the family PC, trouble shooting boot problems. Looks very tidy but and elicted some interest from some windows only people around here ;). However, I think Ark is going to end out on that one. Want to see how the other side live, is RPM hell really as bad as they say..cough!