PDA

View Full Version : Word 97, adding text boxes.

beetle
31-05-2004, 10:04 PM
i have got three pages worth of poster headings and blurbs.

had a sudden thought they need to be in boxes, went to add a box, but the words disappeer? what am i doing wrong?

am i supposed to make box and then add words?

havent done much of this editing / style etc before. so new territory for me.

any simple explanations would be good.

beetle

Jen C
31-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi Beetle :)

You can add text boxes two ways - either by using the text box drawing tool, or by drawing a shape eg, square, circle and then right-click in it and select "Add text". You then wil be able to right-click again over the box and select paragraph to select left aligned, centred etc. If the box is not big enough, the words will "vanish" into a non-viewable area. Try resizing the boxes in that case.

beetle
31-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanxs Jen,

am muddling my way through it, not quite got the gist but seems to be working ok.

much appreciate the help.
so much to learn so little time.

:)
beetle

Jen C
31-05-2004, 10:52 PM
>had a sudden thought they need to be in boxes, went to add a box, but the words disappeer? what am i doing wrong?

Hi again Beetle,

Just had another thought - this is pre-existing text that you want to add a box around? In that case, highlight the text selection and then go Format > Borders. Pick a border and then select apply to this paragraph or selection (or words to that effect). See if this does what you want. You can add extra space above and below the text and the frame by adding extra carriage returns.

beetle
31-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Jen, youre your own worst enemy, do nothing by halves......

yes it pre existing text,
what ever i do wrong can be undone, by an undo click thank fully. all boxes look same size, and have printed off one lot which looks good.

thank you for your help, giving up for now, but got most of it done, ill have another go the new way tomorow.
going to catch some zzzzzz's

then its paper city, cut paste & glue onto the cardboard.......

thanxs

beetle