PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM bootloaders, 2 questions

mikep
31-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I want to make a boot CD to access various operating systems using their native filesystem type, and I've heard you can install a bootloader onto a CD, but I don't know how. I believe the installation CD's for Microsoft win98 and above have a bootloader, that enables a user to press any key to boot from CD, or if left untouched, the system will boot from the hard disk.

Can anybody tell me how to do this?

Second question. Is there a program or utility that will display the contents of a CD-ROMs bootloader when viewing it using windows explorer, or any other file manager for that purpose?

I remember seeing an article in an older PC world issue where somebody wanted to do this, but no explanation of how to install a bootloader to the CD-ROM filesystem was given, though the respondant thought it was a great idea.

JohnD
31-05-2004, 10:55 PM
I am not sure from your post exactly what you are trying to do here? - to boot OSs already on your HDDs with a CD or are the OSs going to be on the CD-ROM?

I am not sure about Nero or similar since I use Linux and CD Roast for my burning - it gives an option in the GUI for making a CD bootable.

beama
31-05-2004, 11:55 PM
yes Nero has the abilty to make make boot cds, but I think what Mike wants is a menu system that allows him to select the operating to boot into the reason I say this is (Grub as an example)
> I want to make a boot CD to access various operating systems using their native filesystem type

I suppose it is possible but interesting

Mike this may help in your quest how to make a bootable cdrom (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=bootable+cd+rom&btnG=Search&meta=)

mikep
01-06-2004, 12:26 AM
That's pretty much what I was looking for. Seems the likes of grub, lilo and preferably xosl (clean graphical boot GUI with mouse support) may not be a possibility at the moment, but it's a start in the right direction.

Read thru some of the stuff, it's fairly technical, and found out it's not guaranteed to work on every system, still, glad for your help.

Cheers

MikeP