PDA

View Full Version : Computer go-slow



Mike
31-05-2004, 09:14 PM
I reformatted my computer on the weekend, and reinstalled everything. Everything went fine.

However now when I boot up it takes AGES to boot. It used to take 40 seconds max for a cold boot, and now its taking closer to 4 minutes until everything is loaded.

On top of that, Norton Internet Security (2003) doesn't seem to want to auto-load on startup (which means emails don't send, and internet connection isn't protected). So I do a manual start of NIS and the ad-blocker doesn't work (although the security test at symantec says my firewall is working alright).

I only had one program installed since reformat that I didn't have installed before, which was Norton Utilities 2002, so I tried removing that, but its made no difference.

OS = Windows XP Pro SP1, fully updated.
Symantec software is also fully updated.

Any ideas? Or is it just a bung install that I'll need to redo next weekend?

Mike.

supergran
31-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Personally, I would uninstall the Nortons stuff that isnt' loading, and reinstall that, and see if it helps.

Lohsing
31-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Motherboard drivers loaded? Patches applied? Networking options correctly configured? Bios settings unchanged?

Lo.

Mike
31-05-2004, 10:36 PM
> Motherboard drivers loaded? Patches applied?
> Networking options correctly configured? Bios
> settings unchanged?

Yes.

Mike.

Mike
31-05-2004, 10:38 PM
> Personally, I would uninstall the Nortons stuff that
> isnt' loading, and reinstall that, and see if it
> helps.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, because of the 30-odd mbs of updates that have to be downloaded after install.

Odd thing is, I'm sure that most of Sunday it was working fine...

Mike.

donn
31-05-2004, 10:49 PM
there was a problem with sp1 is yours part of the install or an update to xp?

Mike
01-06-2004, 08:50 AM
> there was a problem with sp1 is yours part of the
> install or an update to xp?

Mine was on one of those Microsoft update CDs. What was the problem with SP1? First I've heard anything about it.

Mike.

Steve Askew
01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
it was SP1 that had problems not SP1a, If you have the security update cd from MS there should be no problem.

Steve

Steve Askew
01-06-2004, 10:25 AM
> I reformatted my computer on the weekend, and
> reinstalled everything. Everything went fine.
>
> However now when I boot up it takes AGES to boot. It
> used to take 40 seconds max for a cold boot, and now
> its taking closer to 4 minutes until everything is
> loaded.

What was reason for format? Was it taking ages to boot ?

Steve

Mike
01-06-2004, 10:32 AM
> it was SP1 that had problems not SP1a, If you have
> the security update cd from MS there should be no
> problem.

So, what were the problems in SP1??????? I've always used SP1 - this is the first time I've ever installed SP1a.

Mike.

Mike
01-06-2004, 10:33 AM
> > I reformatted my computer on the weekend, and
> > reinstalled everything. Everything went fine.
> >
> > However now when I boot up it takes AGES to boot.
> It
> > used to take 40 seconds max for a cold boot, and
> now
> > its taking closer to 4 minutes until everything is
> > loaded.
>
> What was reason for format? Was it taking ages to
> boot ?

No, like I said it used to take 40 seconds. The reformat was to try and solve a long-standing network connection issue - other than that there was nothing wrong with the previous install.

Mike.

Steve Askew
01-06-2004, 10:46 AM
> > it was SP1 that had problems not SP1a, If you have
> > the security update cd from MS there should be no
> > problem.
>
> So, what were the problems in SP1??????? I've always
> used SP1 - this is the first time I've ever installed
> SP1a.
>
> Mike.


I couldn't say what the problem was but it was addressed by a another MS patch not long after SP1 release & the problem was not there in SP1a to my knowledge.


Steve

andrew93
01-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Try uninstalling all of the Norton products - in my experience these make a PC painfully slow. Time the start up and shutdown with and without the Norton products. Then you may want to compare times using AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm firewall. I have seen PC's reduce their startup times from 3-4 minutes to under a minute doing this.

Mike
01-06-2004, 01:00 PM
> Try uninstalling all of the Norton products - in my
> experience these make a PC painfully slow. Time the
> start up and shutdown with and without the Norton
> products. Then you may want to compare times using
> AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm firewall. I have seen
> PC's reduce their startup times from 3-4 minutes to
> under a minute doing this.

My startup time before format WITH Norton Internet Security installed was 40 seconds. It is now 3-4 minutes. Although NIS may be the culprit, I think there are possibly other problems adding to it.

Mike.

andrew93
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
> My startup time before format WITH Norton
> Internet Security installed was 40 seconds. It is
> now 3-4 minutes. Although NIS may be the culprit, I
> think there are possibly other problems adding to
> it.

Hey Mike,
I presume you've checked what else is loading at Windows startup & via msconfig ... and that you have turned off any of the unwanted services under the "Manage" function
After the XP reinstall, did the auto-indexing feature on the c: drive turn itself back on? This can slow the PC down as well - albeit for a marginal gain on indexed file searches
Plus with the reinstall, XP may have turned on the feature to allocate more resources to the visual effects rather than processing / programme grunt
In addition to NIS, are you using NAV? - NAV is often the culprit for a slow start-up - it might be worth checking to see what else is loading with NAV under msconfig
Lastly, I know this might sound silly but have you checked that you haven't dislodged or unseated a stick of RAM by mistake?
Cheers

zqwerty
01-06-2004, 06:07 PM
If you can, why not d/l this program and then post your start up entries so others can see what is going on.


http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

Rob

tommy
01-06-2004, 08:57 PM
I may be completely off track here but would it possibly have something to do with your computer searching your network for other computers? I have a vague recollection of reading about changing some setting that will prevent this occurring.

Mike
01-06-2004, 09:08 PM
> I may be completely off track here but would it
> possibly have something to do with your computer
> searching your network for other computers? I have a
> vague recollection of reading about changing some
> setting that will prevent this occurring.

Hi tommy,

Thanks, I've had that occur in the past, so I'd already disabled the network adaptor, so that's ruled out of the equation.

Mike.

Mike
01-06-2004, 09:10 PM
> In addition to NIS, are you using NAV? - NAV is
> often the culprit for a slow start-up

The thing is, NAV has never been an issue before.

I think something's gone wrong with one of the installs. I'll try removing NIS and NAV and reinstalling them and see how we go.

Mike.

zqwerty
01-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Run Msconfig and disable all your start up items, see if you have a normal speed boot then progressively add the previously unchecked start up items until you find the one that is causing the trouble.

Rob.