PDA

View Full Version : Dell Hardcopy SPAM

Woof
31-05-2004, 11:28 AM
How do we get it through to DELL that we do NOT want their damn Spam direct marketing brochures in our mailbox at NZ Post ?!!!

I have emailed them at mail_suppressions@dell.com far too many times now and yet they simply seem to ignore these rather obvious requests.

Does anyone have any ideas of a scheme to get back at such hardcopy SPAMMERS as Dell ?

Graham L
31-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Are the circulars actually addressed to you, or just "circulars"?

"Householder" type mail isn't done with a list of names and addresses. ;-) So Dell can't know that you are a target. :-( All they do is order a drop in a certain area, PO tells them how many copies to supply, and they go to the posties.

If you have a PO Box, I [i]think[/b] there used to be an option that you could have a "No Circulars" sticker put in the PO side of the box, and that would give you relief from the deluge. Ask at the office where your box is. The staff there will know.

PaulD
31-05-2004, 05:05 PM
They are addressed personally. Any correspondence with Dell seems to have resulted in a separate copy. Funny, years ago, while I was a customer there was no follow up. I have also tried at least 3 times to stop this mail.

Megaman
31-05-2004, 05:10 PM
When I dod my paper round, there were quite a few Dell brocures.

You're no the only one :(

metla
31-05-2004, 05:17 PM
My postie apologies everytime she hands me a Dell brochure.......:^O

|llus|oN
31-05-2004, 06:33 PM
*scribble* *scribble*

"Return to Sender Not this Address"

;)

Jester
31-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Gather up as many as you can, write across all of them "I CAN GET A BETTER DEAL ELSEWHERE, STOP SPAMMING ME", place them all in separate envelopes, address to Dell using a standard postal or street address, and don't put stamps on the envelopes.

They will have to pay the postage to receive your re-spam.

J
:D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
31-05-2004, 10:23 PM
> They will have to pay the postage to receive your
> re-spam.

Is that really the case? I have many in mind.... ]:)

Jester
31-05-2004, 10:44 PM
The company will get a note in their mail, saying that a short-paid item is available on payment of the deficient postage, if they don't have a free post address. So they will have to take a trip to the post office, present the note, pay the postage and receive your letter.

J
:D

Woof
01-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately it is all individually addressed !

It is such a huge waste of time and effort and they have now destroyed any chance whatsoever of our even contemplating doing any busines with them, EVER !

There were another two again today - they all have a code number on them which suggests that they have a monthly program to spew out copious quantities of such SPAM and to utterly ignore the rightful properly advised requests of the adressee.

The sheer quantity and repetitiveness is overwhelmingly intrusive !

This SPAM is Direct Mailing of the WORST kind and utterly disgusts me !

PaulD
01-06-2004, 12:35 PM
A follow up after a few years in case you are ready to do some repeat business is one thing - but after 6 years! Maybe times are getting tough for Dell hardware sales and they can't afford to pay anyone to check email and voicemail.

Woof
01-06-2004, 01:53 PM
The (numerous) addressees are sourced from business directories where we have FREE listings only. We've NEVER done business with them !
And NOW never will do business with them!

Me, I wouldn't consider doing business with them either - I'd stick with a certain other brand.

metla
01-06-2004, 02:18 PM
ASUS :D

JJJJJ
01-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Like you I am getting SPAMMED by Dell. But I get it twice. One copy addressed to me by name and another copy addressed to "The IT Manager".
They have ignored my e-mailed requests to stop sending them. I sent another telling them in Impolite language exactly what I thought of them and their rubbishy computers.
I wouldn't have one as a gift even if they offered it.
Jack

Woof
01-06-2004, 06:07 PM
My sentiments exactly !

When I decided to try to put a stop to it :-
We got 7 on 14 April
We got 3 on 4 May
We got 3 on 31 May
We got 2 on 1 June redirected from ST address to PO Box
That's 15 in the last six weeks

The use any name/title they can find from various sources including business directories and mailing lists .

It STINKS !

I have no time for SPAM and I include unsolictited DELL brochures right at the top of my definitions of SPAM which include :-
Real Estate 'flyers" (the actual agent is personally responsible for this violation of their code of conduct)
UNsolicited direct mail
Suburban Newspapers
Advertising Newspapers (eg: Real Estate of Used Vehicles)
NZ Post delivered mail to "The Box Holder"
NZ Post delivered mail to "The Managing Director" without an address
NZ Post delivered begging mail from Heart Foundation or Consumers Institute
"Free Prize" offers from the likes of Readers Digest and National Geographic

Basically ANYTHING UNsolicited and especially from those who are members of the NZ Direct Marlketing Association whose members are forbidden from contacting 'persons' on their register of "Opt OUTS"

Oh, and by the way, in these definitions I include that which is delivered by e-mail, as well as snail mail.

Is it any wonder we have e-mail SPAM when society has been so tolerant of snail-mail SPAM for generations ?! And when our society encourages it's children to deliver 'Junk Mail" to everyone's letterboxes !

DELL, obviously I have added you to my list of suppliers with whom I shall NOT do business; a list currently full of Real Estate brands (EXcluding one)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
01-06-2004, 06:33 PM
As a junk mail boy, please don't scream at me, I only do it for the money :(

I'd like to say that, some like reading junk mails, some hate it. Some smile at me when I deliver the junkies, some look at me in disgust. Some, even, tell me that there is a 'No Circular' sign on their letterbox, even though I, with teenage eyes cannot see them. Their simply say, "It was there" Still, I've never seen one, few weeks down the track I'm still told. As bad as it could be, some even comment with a great grin, "oh! thank you very much! those junk mails I never read has saved me hundreds.." Thousands even.

On behalf of all junk mail kids (and young-at-heart) we dislike our job. We only do it for the sake that I can afford a new... blah blah... Please don't kick us around. If you hate us, stick a 'No Junk Mail' sign and we will not even touch your lawn.

In this case with Dell, I can only suggest that you don't open those mail. Write return to sender, wrong receipient. Most of them will react after you do enough of them. Believe me, our household no longer get addressed junk like before. You need to right wrong receipient. Hopefully they'll delete you off the database.

Billy T
02-06-2004, 12:13 AM
I like those Dell brochures, if you use them to light your fire on a chill winter's evening they burn longer than ordinary newsprint and the ink produces nice coloured flames.

I can say flames on PF1 can't I?

Went to a seminar this morning on the latest APC server room products and they had Dell servers up there in lights along with Compaq, HP and a couple of other well respected names.

Maybe they work better in the States?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PaulD
02-06-2004, 06:24 AM
The addressed ones are in plastic bags which you shouldn't be burning.
It would be OK if all the junk mail was already compressed into a fire brick.

Maybe in the States they don't aim cheap computers loaded with XP Home and minimal ram at businesses.

JJJJJ
02-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Yes and maybe at home they don't charge $99 to deliver them or charge extra to fit a floppy drive. Or supply software already installed without disks. And supply insufficient ram for them to run properly.
Jack

Woof
02-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Well said ~~~~~sy~~~~~

Don't worry, I can remember a few times feeling like a real heal as a cute kid cowers past my letterbox as I am caught glowering up the driveway

My own advice to "kids" has always been that while you're earning money you're NOT spending it = double the value (and of course the exercise)

But when I have actually seen and questioned an oldish asian lady why she stared at the signage and yet still deposited her junk mail into a letterbox clearly signed than I really do have to wonder about a 'system' that can allow junk mail to be delivered by those unable (or unwilling) to understand the local custom and LANGUAGE

I think that so called junk mail (retail advertising, etc) serves a good capitalist function but check the legality of using my letterbox for anything other than NZ Post personally addressed deliveries !

As I said "Well said, ~~~~~sy~~~~~"

Billy T
02-06-2004, 09:58 AM
> The addressed ones are in plastic bags which you
> shouldn't be burning.

S'alright Paul, the ozone layer is in reasonably safe hands. :D
We don't burn plastic and only use recycled pallets for firewood. I'm not sure that we should have fires at all actually, but it is the only economic means to heat the house. Hasn't been cold enough to light a fire yet anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Winston001
02-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Having read this thread, I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Your point is fair Woof if you do not want junk mail from specific mailers. You are being ignored which is insulting but not suprising.

However junk mail is a feature of a free society. If you have a physical letterbox , then you invite mail. What you do with it upon receipt is your choice.

If the objection is the waste of resources producing material which will go directly to waste (or Billy's fire), that is also fair. But there is no easy answer. Direct mail is highly successful on a cost-benefit ratio. As compared with normal media advertising - and you cannot avoid that.

If society decided that this was too intrusive then the mailers would get the message through falling sales and community outrage. It hasn't happened. Indeed many people enjoy it. I have to beat my wife to the Placemakers stuff before she goes directly to the recycling bin.

By contrast this is happening with e-mail. Legislatures around the world are looking at laws against spam.

Guys and gals, if you really want to be outraged, consider the kids in this wealthy country of ours who still get maimed and murdered by those who are supposed to care for them.

PaulD
02-06-2004, 12:45 PM
"Having read this thread, I'm not quite sure what the problem is. "

As far as I'm concerned the problem is that each personally addressed brochure in a plastic bag (which is almost the same as the insert in the paper) comes with instructions on how to stop future mail from Dell.
You have a choice of emailing or leaving a recorded message on an 0800 number. Dell appear to ignore both types of message.

JJJJJ
02-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Winston ! If you don't know what the problem is you must be a bit thick.
The problem is a micky mouse American company is posting out misleading brochures for overpriced rubishy half - computers.
I don't know why junk mail deliverers got involved in this. Dell are posting them out. They completely ignore polite requests to desist. I don't even know how they got my address. I don't know why they send me two copies every time. And god only knows where they got the idea I am an IT Manager.
Why shoul an overseas company be allowed to get away with unwanted, misleading advertising.
Jack

Billy T
02-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Ummmm.........

Maybe you need to take a few deep breaths and settle down a bit Jack. It is not really misleading until you act upon the info contained, and then I doubt that it is truly misleading unless you are referring to the email and phone contacts that should stop it but don't. Even then, that is not misleading, it is just ineffective.

Like everybody else here on PF1 I receive piles of unsolicited paper every week, from my PO Box, my letterbox and various newspapers. And we won't even talk about email spam & viruses.:|

Life is too short to get all agitated and het up about it, I just do our environment a favour and recycle the paper dross that arrives here.

Life can be real *****, but only if you let it get to you.

I'm immune to life's witless and petty irritations, all of them. ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-06-2004, 03:43 PM
> My own advice to "kids" has always been that while
> you're earning money you're NOT spending it = double
> the value (and of course the exercise)
>
> But when I have actually seen and questioned an
> oldish asian lady why she stared at the signage and
> yet still deposited her junk mail into a letterbox
> clearly signed than I really do have to wonder about
> a 'system' that can allow junk mail to be delivered
> by those unable (or unwilling) to understand the
> local custom and LANGUAGE

Thanks, good to get feedbacks. Hehe, no I'm not spending it, well, at least not till lately... my personal assets in four figures, won't say to what extent. Plenty for me to live on at this age. It is quite fair to comment on the exercise, I always think theres a need for me to get off this thing.

I agree, many new immigrants aren't the best they should be. Believe me, they are usually new arrivals. Why? Well.... many, coming from China, don't have the best backgrounds. Accompanied with bad English they have difficulties finding a job. Hence, deliver junk, as a 'pocket money'. No English required *according to them*. Many are used to the low pay, and apparently some say it's even higher than what they used to get. Don't worry, most of them give up after a few times on the job ;-)

I suggest you draw a picture of a letterbox and junkmail inside on your letterbox. Circle it and put a cross through it ;-)

BTW, Nice one Billy T :D

JJJJJ
02-06-2004, 04:06 PM
OK Billy, I've taken a few deep breaths. But they didn't do any good!
Firstly, I'm not interested in how much junk mail you get. I probably get as much. It can be thrown away. If I'm in a bad mood, into the gutter!
This discussion is about ADDRESSED mail. With my name and address on it. From a rip off computer company that I have never had dealings with and never will.
A company that will not remove my name from their mailing list.
Jack

Biggles
02-06-2004, 04:12 PM
>From a rip off computer company that I have never had dealings with and never will.

While you've got every right to be angry at them not doing what they say they'll do with regards to taking you off their mail list, I must say I'm intrigued why you label them a "rip off" company, and call their computers "rubbishy" when you say you've neber had any dealings with them. Why so down on the product (as opposed to the company's poor response to your request to be removed from a mail list)?

Graham L
02-06-2004, 04:26 PM
A "... Mickey Mouse American company ..." ... making "overpriced rubbishy computers". ?

They must be doing something nearly right to be selling enough to be the biggest manufacturer of personal computers in the world. Their sales are close to NZ's GDP. ($US45 billion vs $US50 billion).

metla
02-06-2004, 04:31 PM
How does sales mean they are doing something right?

Look at the pc company,sold a boatload,Look at Macdolalds and other fast food,The fact they sell by the millions doesn't isn't a good indication on quality,more of an indication of peoples stupidity.

Unless...maybe all that matters is money for american corperations?

I would hope not.

Anyhow,I personally don't have any great beef with Dell,The computers generally underperform for the specs,they use lower spec named components and other such rot,But you get what you pay for after all....Unless you buy a dell gaming machine....then you just get reamed.

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2004, 04:32 PM
> I'm immune to life's witless and petty irritations,
> all of them. ]:)

You're immune to aroc?

Ive never known somebody to be immune to a human bean ;-)

JJJJJ
02-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Bruce. As far as I'm concerned any company that sells computers with half the necessary ram, no floppy drive and charges you $90 to deliver itis just a rip off merchant. They advertise their price in bold letters. And then mentions the $90 in small print.
Have a close look at their advert in PC World. Then work out the total cost of bringing it up to scratch.
This is my last post on the subject or you might lock me out.
Jack

02-06-2004, 04:37 PM
> Ive never known somebody to be immune to a human bean
> ;-)

C'mon Chilling_Silence, Was that knock on a fellow PressF1 user really neccesary? Play nice dude, this doesnt have to get personal!

Graham L
02-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Lack of sales is often a sign of doing things wrong. Running out of money isa definites sign of doing things wrong. Dell seem to be able to afford postage. :D

The majority of computer purchasers in the world might be stupid. I don't know, and I'd not make such an assertion without some evidence.

There are three Dells and two Compaqs in this cluster of PCs. I've seen more problems with the Compaqs than with the Dells.

Perhaps I might not buy a Dell computer to play computer games. (I wouldn't buy any computer to play games.) But if I was buying commodity computers, I'd see no reason to not consider Dells.

" ... maybe all that matters is money to american corporations" ?

Michael Dell started a small company. He sold computers in a a highly competitive market, against enormous corporations . His company has passed their sales. He now has a large corporation. He didn't do that by selling junk to stupid customers.

Of course now it's a large company, it will have lots of managers and marketing experts. So it might be hard to get off their mailing lists. :D

metla
02-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, If I was buying computers in bulk for a corporate environment i would buy dell's....

But never if the system was going to be used for anything more intensive then office related work, One can do much better.

Biggles
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
>This is my last post on the subject or you might lock me out.

No Jack, I wanted your opinion and you gave it fair enough. No need for talk of lock outs.

I see your point, but personally I think many PC vendors are guilty of such under-specced advertising - I wouldn't single Dell out for that practice. It's all about magic price points and plenty of vendors economise to meet price points with the best "sounding" specification.

As for the quality of the PCs, well I can't comment on Metla's view that they use cheap components, but I have owned a Dell (it's the missus computer now since I built my new one) for several years and never had any problems with it. Same for my mum (who has just bought a new one). Then again, you'll find someone who has had no end of problems. The same goes for pretty much any vendor.

metla
02-06-2004, 05:31 PM
What I was referring to inparticuler were the graphic cards, Over at racesimcentral.com I have on quite a few occasions tried to help people whose computers are running at levels well below what the specs suggest they should,...in every case we found those using Dells had video cards that were clocked substantially lower then the retail product should be.

And I wont even get into the modems I pulled out of some computers that after a bit of detective work were identified as being withdrawn off the American market due to defects, bought in bulk and distributed in Australasia, Nor will I get into propriety components, Machines delivered in a non-working state,120w power supplies, cd-roms that are distributed even when its known they can't read disc's with certain copy protection....Copy protection that was used on the cd's the system was supplied with.

Then we get into practices where recovery disks won't work unless they can read certain files on a hidden partition, great idea unless the files on the hd are corrupt...

Then we have the scenario of repairs, If you have a brand name computer that is out of warranty and it needs fixing it will cost a ridicules amount of money, You can't use an off the shelf psu,if you replace the motherboard and psu the OS is worthless.

bah....I could go on and on and on and on.......and chances are i will...

..................HA

metla
02-06-2004, 05:37 PM
But having said that,if you want a machine to do letter writing,internet tasks and are quite hapy to cut your losses and throw it away when it breaks.............Dell are excellent,as are HP and Compaq.

Sb0h
02-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Getting back to the post re: Dell making huge sales etc....there is a very good reason why Dell is the largest computer manufacturer in the world....MARKETTING!!! Hence the horrendous amount of junk mail we all receive from them. If they play the numbers game and fire out hundreds of thousands of advertising brochures and get maybe a 1 or 2% hit rate, then they sell thousands of machines. True their systems may not be the best buy for your money or the best quality...but they sell because their name is out there in everyone's letterbox. I mean nobody buys MacDonalds because it is nutritional and really tasty....it is well branded and constantly flashed in front of our faces on telly and in print, we are conditioned to buy it.

The actual quality of the product has less to do with sales these days it's the marketting (look at the Spice Girls etc.)

metla
02-06-2004, 05:42 PM
>The actual quality of the product has less to do with sales these days it's the marketting (look at the Spice Girls etc.)

Always been that way,look at the monkees.

Billy T
02-06-2004, 07:04 PM
> Ive never known somebody to be immune to a human bean

Having bean a human Chill, I took that in the nicest possible way (especially with the wink attached):D but I wasn't bringing personalities into it at all.

I was actually referring to jerks on the road, loud people in restaurants, boorish people at social gatherings, the cranially challenged at meetings who ask unbelievably obvious questions directly after the unbelievably obvious answer has been given, egotists who share their private cellphone conversations with you in public, people who go the the movies to have long and very loud conversations, people who drive for one but park for two etc. You get the idea?

I could go on of course, but some of the other examples might be deemed to be strike a little close to home. That is/was not my intention and PF1 has seen more than enough of that lately anyway.

Far greater irritations abound, but I meant what I said, life is too short and there is too much fun and living to be done to allow petty incidents to stop me enjoying every opportunity. Reacting or responding to irritants uses energy I'd like to keep for more important issues, and nothing but nothing annoys an irritant more than being ignored.]:)

I am genuinely immune to witless and petty irritations, mindlessly negative comment and idiots in general. I accept criticism from people who think carefully before they criticise, and their opinions I respect and listen to carefully.

To get wound up over junk mail, even the personally addressed variety seems a pointless waste of life force to me, but whatever presses your buttons turns you on I guess (not referring to you there Chill).

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm happy enough and sane enough not to worry about or feel threatened by junkmail or spam so something is working for me.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2004, 10:17 PM
My intentions were only to lighten the mood of the thread, again, nothing personal :-)