PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Crash

theseus
31-05-2004, 11:09 AM
I really need help. Explorer keeps on crashing all the time, maybe three times every half hour. Applications crash to desktop all the time. I have Windows 98 SE. I really need help. thanks

Miami Steve
31-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Theseus,

We really need more info than that. When you say that explorer keeps crashing, do you mean the explorer application or do you mean the windows shell? How does it crash? Does it blue screen? Do you get any error message? If so, what?

Give a few more details, and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Cheers
Miami

theseus
31-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I mean the explorer application. Not the blue screen. When it crashes what happens is that some of the open windows close and sometimes it reloads windows so that the icons on the taskbar disappear and i have to restart to disconnect from the internet. When the games crash they just disappear like when you alt - tab out and come up with desktop.

Miami Steve
31-05-2004, 11:33 AM
It's quite unusual for Win98 to just die like that. Normally you would see an error message, with register dumps etc.

Are you able to re-install Windows? It may be worth trying that first (straight over the top, without formatting) although if the problem is registry corruption, I don't think that will fix it.

As I say, if you can try that, at least it won't have wasted too much time if it doesn't work.

Cheers
Miami

drcspy
31-05-2004, 11:44 AM
try this.........startbutton/run .......type in SFC then hit enter this'll run the '
system file checker' which will possibly require you to provide either the cd or the setup files from your hdd, (if you have them there) in order to restore/reset any system files which have been damaged/changed etc by something........it can help a lot to use SFC

drcspy
31-05-2004, 11:44 AM
also goto microsoft and download 'regclean' and run a few times until it has no more errors to fix......

metla
31-05-2004, 11:47 AM
As well as SFC,have a look under the start up tab in msconfig,disable everything not needed(difficult if you don't know what your looking at) and reboot,.

Quite often stability problems are caused by a multitude of unwanted programs running in the background.

If you dont have it already then i suggest downloading Spybot 1.3,it has a start-up tools section that will explain what each item is and whether its needed.

tweak\'e
31-05-2004, 12:34 PM
i do not recomend microsofts regclean. its old and can break programs by deleteing the wrong thing. one of the best free ones advailable at the moment would have to be toniarts easycleaner.

beama
31-05-2004, 05:09 PM
How many days ago did this start to happen (remember your answer)if it more than 14 days ago forget doing about the rest of this (registry backups/copies are by default only kept for 14 days in 98(you can change this setting)
do a f8 boot (safe boot), choose command prompt only type in scanreg /restore choose a restore date before this started to occur.
This may or may not work but has saved me in the past. once you have completed the restore reboot if the pc returns to the command prompt (as they often do after type of boot) type in win and all should be ok

theseus
01-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Its fixed now, i did a clean install of Windows.