PDA

View Full Version : Messenger Service

Curly
30-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Just now I received a message on screen from www.xxxxxx.com which to say the least was totally unwanted.

I searched for 'message' and message service, intending to close it down, but found nothing.

My question is how do I now block www.xxxxxxx.com from ever showing it's dirty face here again? (I removed the URL as I certainly don't want to advertise the site).

Win2000, IE6. AVG, Adaware, Agnitum (ah that is probably the way to go - block it with agnitum firewall), regcleaner and spybot 1.3, all up to date.

Curly
30-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Curly again - thats interesting, Agnitum firewall does not seem to allow one to add in a site to block.

So how do I block the URL?

Thanks

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
30-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Tools > Internet Options > Content (Tab at top) > Under the heading Content Advisor click enable, you need to make a password I think

From there...
Settings > Approved Sites (Tab at top) > Type in the URL > Click Never

That will disapprove the site, and in the event that it comes up, it will not show up straight away, but instead ask you for a password to view in, in which case, if you want (:p) you can see it, or if you don't, just close it

Good luck,

Jester
30-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Disable Windows' Messenging Service (this is not msn or windows 'messenger') by using "Shoot The Messenger"

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

J
:D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
30-05-2004, 10:14 PM
> So how do I block the URL?

I assumed that you wanted to block the URL right? Don't know how this links up with your subject, 'MSN Service'

:?

Jester
30-05-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't think it's a 'MSN Service', sy, that's happening here.

stu120404
30-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Jester is right on the money here :)

Curly just go here: http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm & that page will explain why you got that message & there is a progume there which will disable it as well

Murray P
30-05-2004, 11:44 PM
IIRC you can block URL's with Agnitum but it's been a year or so since I used that firewall.

As per the others, turn off messenger service by using Shoot the Messenger or follow the instruction on the Black Viper (http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm) website.

Cheers Murray P

beama
31-05-2004, 01:06 AM
try entering "Hosts file" into google thats another good way of dealing to those nasties, I use it I also believe there were articles in the pcworld on how to set one up. Btw most pc's have a host file but not completly configured

Curly
31-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Yes I will shoot the messenger, but meantime it gets worse. Microsoft have just used the same popup system to tell me about a new security download that I need to install, they have used it before for similar reasons......... I think it is pretty lax of MS to use a service that can deliver absolute junk mail as well as their own stuff.

Anyway.... this morning my mail contained two messages from abuse.paradise etc to say thay had removed two message attachments that contained W32/sober-g. These were to a slingshot account and I did not send them........ Well OK AVG found nothing, Spybot found nothing and Adaware found only two data miners. I then searched for w32/sober-g in my system but found nothing. I also run Agnitum firewall and all progies are up to date.

What is going on???

How do I remove something I cannot find in the first place ??

However to make me feel a little better, i've got my gun and am about to shoot that bloody messenger :-)

stu120404
31-05-2004, 11:39 AM
> Anyway.... this morning my mail contained two
> messages from abuse.paradise etc to say thay had
> removed two message attachments that contained
> W32/sober-g. These were to a slingshot account and
> I did not send them........ Well OK AVG found
> nothing, Spybot found nothing and Adaware found only
> two data miners. I then searched for w32/sober-g in
> my system but found nothing. I also run Agnitum
> firewall and all progies are up to date.
>
> What is going on???

Have a read of this thread:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=47654#274169

Billy T & godfather explains why you are getting those e-mail in the above thread

metla
31-05-2004, 11:43 AM
>> Yes I will shoot the messenger, but meantime it gets worse. Microsoft have just used the same popup system to tell me about a new security download that I need to install, they have used it before for similar reasons......... I think it is pretty lax of MS to use a service that can deliver absolute junk mail as well as their own stuff.

Uh....That wasn't MS.