PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm Pro 5.0 - Any Comments?

aronking
30-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Noticed that Zome Alarm Pro 5.0 has been released in the last few days.

I am curious if anyone has had any problems with this update software? Every situation/location/configuration seems to vary so I would like some feedback from Press F1 readers on this update before deciding on using it.

Cheers

aronking
30-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Just been surfing some review sites and it does not look good. There seems to be a number of complaints especially if running Nortons AV and XP.

Here is a link:
http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=300682&mesg_id=300682&page=

I suppose it always pays to check or otherwise one will pay!

Cheers

tweak\'e
30-05-2004, 06:06 PM
corrected link (http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=300682&mesg_id=300682&page=)

no problems on serveal pc's win98, nortons 2003.

i see some people complaining the antivirus monitoring dosn't work with some antivirus progs....ZA only lists about 4 av progs that will work with it......not a big deal really.

FrankS
30-05-2004, 06:58 PM
No problems with Norton AV 2004 and XP home

R2x1
30-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Norton AV 2003 and Win XP Pro, no problems with Zone Alarm that I've noticed yet.

FrankS
31-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Have you looked at
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zass/generalFAQs.jsp?lid=zasskulist_faq#1

Scouse
31-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi Folks. Here's some comment from a US site....

2) New ZoneAlarm Version Disappoints
ZoneAlarm is beginning to suffer from "kitchen sink" syndrome: Each version has added more and more features until what once was a simple, elegant firewall is now a complex security suite.

The newest version of ZA Pro is supposed to add active antivirus protection to your mail stream. I really didn't need this function--- I already have an AV tool guarding the mail--- but didn't see a way to tell ZAP to disable its separate AV protection. Maybe the setting was there, but I never got that far...

As soon as I tried gathering mail, my resident AV tool (Norton) went nuts, popping up an unending stream of "virus found and removed..." messages. My guess is that ZA changed the way it processes and stores mail files, so that my AV tool no longer recognized the already-processed files as safe. I wasted an hour or so trying to get the two tools to play nice, but eventually gave up in disgust: Who has time for this? I tried uninstalling the new ZAP and reinstalling the previous version, but Norton remained badly hosed by all the diddling I'd done to it. In the end, it was faster and simpler for me to roll my system back to the pre-change state, using ZAP 4x as a firewall, and Norton for AV protection. Now everything works fine again.

I'm not the only one having trouble:

metla
31-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Anyone have a recomendation as to what version of Zonealarm is the best to use?

Personally hate bloatware.

R2x1
31-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Whoooooooopppps:-
Some e-mails were getting out unscanned, so I uninstalled ZA 5, deleted
it's home directory, removed the reg. entries that refer to it, got all the
short-cuts out, re-booted a couple of times. Then re-installed ZA 4.5 and
NAV. Now all appears to be sweetness and light again in that department.

Zone Alarm 5 May not be ready for release yet. A bit surprising from this
firm, but maybe the ownership change is at the bottom of it all.

R2

Capt.Hook
31-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Installed version 5.0, suffered all sorts of issues, so uninstalled and reinstalled previuos version 4.5.
All is sweet once again.
At the end of the day,all I want is a firewall,I have good security from my NOD32.

i-gordon
31-05-2004, 05:58 PM
I had problems with the new free version. I have Norton System Works 2002. I have since progressed to Agnitum Outpost free version. It takes a bit of getting used to. I spent a few hours sorting it out and it now passes all the Gibson Research tests better than Zone Alarm ever did, I have been using Zone Alarm for about 4 years and I have updated with every new version, but this version 5.0 I don't recommend.

nzStan
31-05-2004, 11:44 PM
ZA 4.5 is a perfectly good version. Why not just uninstall ZA5 and install 4.5 instead?

I'm still running version 4.5 without any problem. Version 4.5 is still available for downloading.

Peter M
01-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Can anyone point the way to where I can get V4.5 to download. I still have V3.7 running and tried auto upgrade from zonelabs but got offered this version 5 you are all talking about. Thanks.

R2x1
01-06-2004, 10:16 AM
> Can anyone point the way to where I can get V4.5 to
> download. I still have V3.7 running and tried auto
> upgrade from zonelabs but got offered this version 5
> you are all talking about. Thanks.

Auto-update does indeed want to give you v5 and it's problems.
However, if you go here (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zass/generalFAQs. jsp?lid=zasskulist_faq#1) and grab faq 'G', it links to v4.5
Alternatively, this (http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1045_zl/zapSetup_45_494_000.exe) may get you there directly.

Cheers, R2

R2x1
01-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Oh no! Useless links above.

Just go to the site FrankS links higher up the thread, and scroll down to FAQ 'G'

TonyF
01-06-2004, 11:35 AM
> Anyone have a recomendation as to what version of
> Zonealarm is the best to use?

ZA5 free version working happily with Nortons and AVG.
Tony

aronking
01-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I have read the posts and the links. It appears that the conflicts are occuring in some cases only. I wonder if anyone has had problems of ZA5 with AVG?

nzStan
01-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Just did an install of ZA5 last weekend on a friend's PC. Had to uninstall Tread Micro antivirus due to the incompatibility with ZA5 but did so after assessing that TM Anti-Virus and Firewall wasn't doing its work. The PC has all the hallmark of virus infection.

Installed ZA5, latest AVG and Ad-Aware on the WinME PC. Scanned and found all sorts of virus with AVG.

PC working properly now.