PDA

View Full Version : How to use MS Encarta on two hard drives?

Peter
30-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I have instaled the Encarta "Instalation & Resources" cd on my C/ drive and the "Interactive Atlas" on my D/ drive (so I won't need to keep using the cd drive) but the computer still asks my to insert the Interactive cd in the cd drive.

How can I get Encarta to 'find' the Interactive part. Please.

beama
30-05-2004, 04:53 PM
never tried this but worth a shot

remember back up any files before making changes of this kind

go to the encarta directory look for a ini file, see if there is a path in there pointing at the cd rom drive letter referencing your atlas if so change it to point at the other drive

drcspy
30-05-2004, 05:15 PM
or check out setting up a 'virtual drive' for your system to think the installed cdrom files are really on a physical drive.....

Mike
30-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Are you meaning you ran setup to told setup to install the files in those locations? Or did you just copy the contents of the CDs to those locations?

If the latter, you might want to run setup from the harddrive so that the program can look there for the "CD" later.

Mike.

Peter
31-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes Mike it was the latter.

How do I do what you suggest? (run setup from the harddrive so that the program can look there for the "CD" later).

P.

Budda
01-06-2004, 09:30 AM
if it the same version that i have then after i installed it, i put the cd back in and a autostart menu came up and there was an option to install all so i did not need to use the disk anymore. Dunno if that helps at all

Peter
04-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I found the .ini files but there was nothing to indicate which drive (hard or Cd) to access the 'interactive' part of the Atlas.

Even if I create a 'partition' the software will still need to be told where to look for the Atlas, I think, so why not to a second hard-drive?

Peter.

Mike
07-06-2004, 10:05 AM
It would require you to copy the full contents of the CD to the hard drive before you install the software. Then when you install it, run setup from the folder you copied it to, not from the CD (remove the CD from the drive), and then hopefully the program will look there for the 'CD' later when it needs it.

Mike.

Peter
08-06-2004, 04:10 PM
"It would require you to copy the full contents of the CD to the hard drive before you install the software. Then when you install it, run setup from the folder you copied it to, not from the CD (remove the CD from the drive), and then hopefully the program will look there for the 'CD' later when it needs it."

Thanks for that Mike , but could you please be more specific, I'm a bit thick!

Are you suggesting I install the "World Atlas 2000" (disk 3) first, then run setup only after I am prompted to load the "Instalation & Resources" (disk 2) on the same drive or another hd?

Peter
09-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I found the info I needed on the dear old Microsoft Help Site:

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239635>

Many thanks one and all for your help.

P.

Peter
22-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Just to add to the above, there is no need to create Virtual drives or spread the Encarta over two drives.

With the above method Encarta is installed on one drive and the Atlas CD can be safely stored away.

Thanks, Peter.