PDA

View Full Version : Internet logon has extra password *added by whom?

Advocar
30-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Win XP slow to startup, sometimes both HD leds on full , blinking. May still startup, or reboot may fix. But reset and off buttons dont always work. At times passwoed box has all 15 positions filled but my login is less than that. Have unclicked "save password" and that stops them. IE no additional * found but slow / lockupp still occurs. Using latest AVG software. Probs look similar to Sasser. Have run MSoft checkers for sasser and master blaster none found. have SP1 insatalled but unable to download SP1a as error 0X800c0005 comes up and help re this on MS site of no help to me.
Have checked startup advanced only AVG, win ver current, user running. look valid as unticking 3rd item stopped loading win xp so had to go back to restore point I created b4 unclicking 3rd. Process runing % shows up as minimal and rec is a lot more than sent out under network details.

Any Ideas

Billy T
30-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Have you tried Adaware & Spybot yet?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pheonix
30-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Also, ignore the amount of * that are listed when you see where your password is. Windows XP puts that amount of dots in whether your password is that long or not, it doesn't mean your password has been altered. It is a windows security feature, so no-one knows how many figures long your password is.

Advocar
30-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Ad Aware, just updated from net and rescanned. 1@doubleclick, 1@ehi-biz this was a site that had information on various windows upgrade issues I visited today, 1@hitbox. I removed these.
Ran Skybot search updates but "Error retrieving update file. When I look at network sent value it did not change indicating the request was not sent out, blocked ?.
Found 1@cgi-bin.txt Red Sherrif info tracking cookie from skybot. removed OK.
My ver of skybot-s&d 1.2 no updates loaded

Pheonix
30-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Spybot is now version 1.3 , so that will be why there is trouble getting updates. Uninstall 1.2 and install 1.3 from here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html).

Advocar
30-05-2004, 03:57 PM
OK but I dont remember it filling in before. Perhaps it is becaue they are in bold print. Just checked my spare win 98 PC and that shows only the number of * I use but greyed out not bold

Pheonix
30-05-2004, 04:03 PM
It's an XP/NT thing, which is not the same as win9x.

Advocar
30-05-2004, 05:15 PM
as above 1.3 ran, found and fixed 35 items 5 unable to fix/remove. Accelerator download All Registry items. Win has asked to scan disks at startup but no problems found. ButPC did lockup while doing last scan of 2nd HD

So far internet connection appears to be accessing as soon as requested by explorer.

Thanks for help to date. Will see how PC runs as have to do some house work like going to the dump