PDA

View Full Version : ram upgrade

merlin-nz
30-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi people,

I wish to increase the ram on my very small computer.
I have a:
Hp Pavilion 6700
CPU Type: Intel Celeron II 600 MHz
MB TriGem Pinole
1x64Mb SD ram plus
1x128Mb SD Ram

I believe I only have two slots for Ram so will have to get rid of the 64Mb stick and install a 256 Mb one. :D

My main question is which Ram, All I seem to find on the internet for pricing ram is <PC 2700 DDR 333MHz SD Ram or PC 3000 DDR 370MHz SD Ram or PC 3200 DDR 400MHz SD Ram> or similar along those lines.

Nothing about SD Ram.

Sum even have how many pins and or double sided ?:|

Anyone shed some simple light on this please.

Running Win XP Pro on 191Mb Ram. :^O

Cheers melin-nz :-)

Jen C
30-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Merlin

According to your motherboard Manual - Pinole (Fresno) (http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/TriGem/manuals/), it supports PC100/133 RAM. It also does only have two SDRAM channels and can take up to 2x256 MB of RAM.

Can you see whether you current RAM sticks are double-sided? Look for a series of black rectangles on the sides.

This pricespy list (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/gid_52.html) looks like the stuff you need. Perhaps someone with more specific RAM knowledge can point you in the right direction with which one. :)

merlin-nz
30-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks Jen for some reason been unable to locate TriGem site, must have been looking in wrong place.

I have just been to Melta's web site and the price of ram is about 20 bucks dearer than QMB, but then QMB is in Auckland and Wanganui is only up the road so next time I'm in Wanganui I know where to go.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

godfather
30-05-2004, 06:42 PM
I have a Pavilion 6700 here (600 MHz Celeron), and I caution on the 2 x 256 suggestion. HP use a custom BIOS, not the one fitted retail to that motherboard (Its a Trigem "Cognac" Model motherboard by the way)

My experience was that I could only go to 2 x 128. Cheap 133 MHz DSE SD Ram was OK, but I could not find any 256 MB stick that would work.

Its a secondary PC here, but runs XP on 256 MB very well. Its probably the most stable PC I have ever dealt with. Quiet as well.

metla
30-05-2004, 10:43 PM
> I have just been to Melta's web site and the price of
> ram is about 20 bucks dearer than QMB, but then QMB
> is in Auckland and Wanganui is only up the road so
> next time I'm in Wanganui I know where to go.
>
> cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Bear in mind that the site is mail order,Hence i don't carry all that stock(although ram is something that is kept on hand the majority of the time)

Best to mail me beforehand in order to make sure the trip isn't wasted.

As to what Godfather said about compatability,that is the main reason for shopping from a computer store rather then an electronics store such as DSE,you bring the comp in if your able and we see what works,Fitting of ram is a free service,You won't get that at DSE or via mail order.

merlin-nz
30-05-2004, 11:54 PM
GF
thanks for the info, I ran Lavalys Everest Home Edition and it came up with Trigem Pinole for the Mother board name, but as you stated its a Cognac.
I was sure it was a Cognac as well but the program said otherwise go figure.
So I should just get another 128MB stick then, that'll work out a bit cheaper.

metla
not getting at you about the price, hell the freight from Auckland would be bad enough.
the trip wouldn't be wasted cause the mother-in-law lives in wanganui still, I did for the best part of my youth.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

metla
31-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Oh,im not worried about the price,I don't even attempt to compete with qmb,they buy in bulk when the prices are cheap,can have a lower mark-up due to volume of sales and dont have to pay courier costs like i do.

If i don't sell a stick of ram its no real worry to me,Even onselling it for the price i have it at leaves nothing more then pocket change for me.

Augustus
31-05-2004, 07:55 AM
I use CPU-Z which I find very handy to identify what is on my computer. You can download it from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

cheers

tech_meister
31-05-2004, 08:44 AM
You will need to install the lower density sd ram modules
If installing 256mb it will need to be double sided with 16 chips
or 128 mb single sided with at least 8 chip in order for the PC to see
all the ram.

Some suppliers state how many chips it has.