PDA

View Full Version : Typed urls

ojos
30-05-2004, 10:52 AM
I see from earlier discussion the question of repeating urls. When you start to type the url into the box a series of previous urls appear.
Whilst this can be stopped in certain ways (i.e. don't use autocomplete) the fact remains the urls are still stored somewhere.

In win98 I solved this by going into the registry and deleting the folder for "typed urls" I didn't notice any untoward side effects.
Has anyone tried this in xp pro?

thanks,

Lohsing
30-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Why not use the infinitely easier option of going into internet explorer, tools, internet options, and selecting delete cookies, delete files and clear history...?

Lo.

ojos
31-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Because it doesn't work.
Try doing that yourself. The delete whatever is in the address bar
(probably http://pressf1 etc)
and type a lowercase "h" and see what happens.
this does not wipe out typed urls

regards

Lohsing
31-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Hmmm... it worked for me??

Lo.

johnboy
31-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Remove typed URLs from the Address bar drop-down list in Internet Explorer.

Often people want to remove typed URLs that appear in the Address bar drop-down list for Internet Explorer, but are unsure how to do it because entries can't simply be deleted individually. Here are a few things you can try.

Method 1

One of the most popular methods is to open Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab > press the 'Clear History' button. In most cases, this will delete all the entries from the Address bar. In some cases, it may be necessary to restart your browser or computer to notice any changes. It should be mentioned that you are not only deleting items from the Address bar, but you are also deleting your entire History of all the sites you've visited, not just the ones you've typed in. This method might be overkill for some.

Method 2

Another option is to go to the Start button > Settings > Taskbar & Start Menu > 'Start Menu Programs' tab > 'Documents menu' section > press the 'Clear' button. This will remove all the entries from the Address bar, but once again it also removes other items such as anything listed in the 'Run' drop-down list and all items in the MRUD (Most Recently Used Documents) list. If you feel this option is also overkill, read on.

Method 3

The typed addresses aren't stored in a folder -- they are stored in the Registry. In fact, you can remove individual addresses by editing the Registry. Go to Start > Run > type REGEDIT, and click OK. Navigate to the followign key (folder) by clicking on the + signs:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

If you click on the TypedURLs key in the left pane, you'll see the contents in the right pane. You can right-click on any of the entries in the right pane and choose Delete. Each entry is numbered url1, url2, etc. If you delete any entries you may have to rename (by right-clicking) some entries so that no numbers are skipped. For instance, if you delete url3, but you don't rename another entry url3, only url1 and url2 will be displayed when you click on the drop-down arrow of the Address bar. All the URLs following the deleted URL will not be displayed.

Method 4

Use the FREE program EditURLs. http://aandrc.com/editurls/ This is my favorite method. It's the easiest and doesn't require fiddling around with the Registry. You can delete or edit individual entries. You can save a Master Copy of the URLs that you do want to keep, which can be restored at any time. You can also sort the order of the URLs. With EditURLs, you are only deleting or editing URLs that appear in the IE Address bar drop-down list. Nothing else is affected.

Copied from http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#typedurls

ojos
01-06-2004, 07:31 PM
That's Brilliant.
Thank you so much

Ojos