PDA

View Full Version : Download Speeds

phil.b
29-05-2004, 10:57 PM
128k = 16kbs. Downloading from jetstream games = 424kbs. My friend in Australia uses Optus and gets 12 gigs download at upto 800kbs from anywhere for $60 per month. What chance do we have of Telecom providing the same. We could have much better quality online multimedia ect.

stu120404
29-05-2004, 11:02 PM
> 128k = 16kbs. Downloading from jetstream games =
> 424kbs.

You could get 256K = 32Kb/s

> My friend in Australia uses Optus and gets 12
> gigs download at upto 800kbs from anywhere for $60
> per month.

>What chance do we have of Telecom
> providing the same. We could have much better quality
> online multimedia ect.

None :( :|,( at least not for a long time yet.....), since the govt does not want to unbundle the local loop (do a search off Press F1 for more informationů)

jackyht
30-05-2004, 12:23 AM
What chance do we have of Telecom providing the same

Hi Phil

not very likely, the loser Paul Swain will continue to monitor telecom's performance (which i doubt he will) and at the end, it will depend on the telecom loyalty (is this the word that u used) to the government and to change the line speed in the near future. (which i doubt as welll)

overall, suppose in economics, it is setup to benefit in market, but now they will focus on finance which is maximize shareholder wealth!!! n not let the customer benefit!!!

If you want to change the line speed, the only way is to sack the commissioner, sack the loser Paul Swain, sack the telecom CEO, then it will likely we will get competition in NZ and will be able to get faster speed!!!

Jacky

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-05-2004, 12:53 AM
> per month. What chance do we have of Telecom
> providing the same. We could have much better quality
> online multimedia ect.

Seriously boys and girls, this topic has been thrashed to death.

No LLU, no true competitive broadband internet, end of story. There have been multiple threads on this, basically our internet is third-world, and aside Mexico we are the only place without unbundling.

Lets all get on with our lives.

</thread>

kiki
30-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Really, in hindsight you should have been our new moderator WTF.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-05-2004, 01:40 AM
> Really, in hindsight you should have been our new
> moderator WTF.

Alas

Laura
30-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Yes, I agree it has been done to death -
But maybe those focussed entirely on broadband need a reminder that "third world" systems can charge you heaps for local calls from home.

And last time I visited our " first world" equivalents, my hosts were paying for every local call as well. (How is it in Mexico, WTF?)

The point being, you can't make comparisons without looking at the historical background of our total phone service...not just broadband.

(And here I'll stick my neck out & suggest that some of you complaining abour your lack of speed for games etc are not only too young to know the details of Telecom's deal with the NZ public when privatised, but you probably don't have to pay the overall household phone bill)

To put it briefly, less than 2 decades ago. the government sold an asset which was owned by all New Zealanders (The Post & Telegraph Dept) amidst enough public protest to insert a "Kiwi share" clause to protect free local dialling.
That committed Telecom (now a public company designed purely to make profits for its shareholders) to maintaining local calling lines for a fee which could rise only by the inflation rate without special justification. It was recognised it had a monopoly on the lines & expected that others would want to share them, but maintaining free local calling was to be sacrosanct - the sop to get Mr & Mrs Average accept selling what they'd paid for in taxes..

Computer usage back then then was small enough to be no major drain on the system. (386/486s.? ) Toll calls were where the money was made.
Now tolls are self-dial & cheap - with a choice of providers. But lines still have to be maintained at a governed cost - and Telecom can't charge for local calls.

So - if you were in business, where would you choose to make your money? Obviously computer users are the commonsense target.

The other option is to suggest that home phones pay for local calls (Just as most countries with cheaper broadband do)....and then wait for the howls of outrage....
I'm aware that this will look like a justification of Telecom prices - and it isn't meant to be. Yes, I'm on good old Dialup & don't have the frustrations of you gamers. And yes, I know they made loads of profit last year...and yes, I'd like to get my always-on connection cheaper...and yes, I know some of this has come about through competition from other telecoms.

But I'm old enough to be thankful that now I can make capped toll calls to my family without it costing an arm & a leg to talk for ages (as it once did) & I still don't have to pay to call my neighbour up the road (as my overseas relatives have always done).

So next time we're having broadband price/speed comparisons & criticisms, can we have a few more details of that counry's other charges, please?

whetu
30-05-2004, 04:44 AM
Third world?

well... There is a third world country (take your pick of one of the african ones, I forget which one it is specifically) where they have netcafes with the "big pipes" which are effectively 128k satellite linkups coming in at about US$1600 per month to operate.

Suddenly what we're paying doesnt seem so bad ;)

The future is with wireless- networks are a lot cheaper and faster to rollout, and they generally plug into APE or WIX and therefore bypass a lot of wrangling from Telecom and Telstra. The only problem here is services are inconsistent...

Terry Porritt
30-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi Laura, I would just like to comment that local phone calls are also free in the part of Canada I know, maybe the whole of Canada, but they also get cheap high speed broadband internet.

Cheers

phil.b
30-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi there people, it just goes to show that the subject is still alive & kicking, albeit thrashed. We're supposed to have a couple of new satelite providers by the end of 2005, one of them has a land link as well, so no latency problems. Asian providers I think.

My phone bills to Telecom are around $300 per month, my work line costs me for every call. Local call charges wouldn't bother me as other services that I want should become cheaper. All my overseas calls are arranged by email for timing purposes and then we video conference through MSN.

I think Telecom should have a decent customer loyalty program. At least better than the massive $10 ADSL discount.

For those who live in Wellington & Christchurch at least you have Telstra as an alternative.

Enough Said

Phil

Laura
01-06-2004, 02:18 AM
Thanks for that. Terry
Just adds to my belief that Canada is a wonderfully progressive country, with whom we have much in common - and from whom we could learn many things

mikebartnz
01-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Very well said Laura.
>Toll calls were where the money was made.
Yeh I made a twenty minute call to Canada years ago and it cost me about $220. It also proved to be a waste of time LOL:(

mikebartnz
01-06-2004, 11:30 PM
When I was in Canada in 1990 a guy asked me what they had there that we in NZ didn't (he was out to try and make money) and all I could think of was to ask him if he knew what Teletext was. He didn't know what it was and their phone system was prehistoric.