PDA

View Full Version : This video card dead?

kiki
29-05-2004, 07:35 PM
http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/screenstuffed.jpg

Oh my gosh, what happened here?!

About a one month old Gigabyte Radeon 9600xt 128Mb from Ascent. Hasn't been overclocked or anything like that.

This just started happening today my brother was playing Far Cry on it and bamm screen goes all weird. You can barely see anything, theres lines and all different colours everywhere!!

Multiple reboots do not fix, and its even all wacked up right from when the computer starts in the BIOS screens and everything.

Is there some way to diagnose whats wrong with it or fix it? I've tested the monitor out on a different computer and theres nothing wrong with that. Since all this, I've taken the card out and put in an old Geforce and that works fine too.

Is the only way to fix is to RMA it?? What happens if they send me another bung one???

Billy T
29-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Assuming that you reinstalled the drivers, it sound shot to me so send it back. It doesn't matter how many faulty cards they send you, the warranty still applies but my guess is you'd ask for your money back about the time that No 3 died.

It is probably just bad luck and the chances of a second premature failure are slim, provided there isn't something wrong with your system.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiki
29-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks, I heard that one guy with the same issue and 9600xt had gotten about 6 replacements for it and even a motherboard replacement and still having the same problems! Eventually he got a 9800pro which fixed the problem. Faulty batch or something maybe?

kiki
29-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Oh I was just reading the locked thread and noticed your comment:

> In fact I'm not sure that I've ever had "had a go" at Metla, or anyone else for that matter, personal abuse is just not my style. I've taken the P a few times, and I've made a sharpish point or two to some of the more obnoxious types who think that being boorish is a heap of fun, but that's about it.

What does "I've taken the P a few times" mean? You've done methamphetamines? :O

metla
29-05-2004, 08:04 PM
P=The waste product secreted by the kidneys that in mammals is a yellow to amber-colored, slightly acid fluid discharged from the body through the urethra.

kiki
29-05-2004, 08:07 PM
:^O I wondered. Ok back to topic: ideas?

Billy T
29-05-2004, 08:14 PM
LOL kiki, I've never done anything stronger than aspirin, apart from some youthful escapades with fermented and spirituous liquors.

Metla got it in one :8}

Good luck with the video card.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

R2x1
29-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Have you tried it at different refresh rates / resolutions ?
Or re-installing the drivers?
just a long shot I suppose.
R2

kiki
29-05-2004, 09:02 PM
I don't think it could be a driver problem could it? Its starts happening outside of windows as soon as the computer boots.

R2x1
29-05-2004, 09:08 PM
> I don't think it could be a driver problem could it?
> Its starts happening outside of windows as soon as
> the computer boots.

Duh - very dense of me, sorry.

Should brush up on my "comprehension, words, written plainly", skills.
Guess all you can do is wait for a swap then.

R2

beama
29-05-2004, 11:04 PM
kiki you dont say if your a crt or led (flat screen) if its if it crt has it got a degrassing feature some have either in the software or on the monitor controls if it has this feature give it a shot

beama
29-05-2004, 11:06 PM
> kiki you dont say if your
screen is a *

sorry late and not enough coffee

kiki
29-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes its a CRT screen. Degrassing? Never heard of that before? I've heard of degausing but is that a different thing? I can find the option for degausing, but how come when I put a different video card in it, everything works fine?

Murray P
29-05-2004, 11:16 PM
kiki, how well trained are those fish. I think your problem may be that they are agitating the water in there. That can't be condusive to good visuals, now can it! See if you can get them to stay still long enough for you to assess the effects of water slosh on your computing enjoyment.

Otherwise I agree with the others. RMA the card along with the critters ;)

Cheers Murray P

metla
29-05-2004, 11:17 PM
>but how come when I put a different video card in it, everything works fine?

Because the video card is knackered.

beama
29-05-2004, 11:24 PM
kiki youre are right with the spelling (goes off to make that secound cup of coffee)

kiki
30-05-2004, 12:16 AM
> kiki, how well trained are those fish. I think your problem may be that they are agitating the water in there.

:^O Absolutely not. I'm starting to wonder about my my brother with putting weird desktops like that on his computer. Last week it was flowers :O

> kiki youre are right with the spelling (goes off to make that secound cup of coffee)

:^O You shouldn't be drinking coffee this late at night Beama, you'll never get off to bed!

Anyway thanks guys, looks like a lengthy return to base job :|

Billy T
30-05-2004, 11:50 AM
> Anyway thanks guys, looks like a lengthy return to
> base job :|

Hi kiki

Just a reminder here, warranty actions have to be timely and should fixed at source wherever possible. That means that the supplier must deal with the problem and you don't have to wait while they return the card to their supplier and get a replacement for you

For something as basic as a video card it would be fair enough to wait one day while they get around to checking the card to verify that it is faulty, but after that the onus is on them to supply a replacement forthwith or refund your money.

Be polite, persistent and patient, but insist that they recognise your rights and their obligations. It is all there in the Consumer Guarantees Act, and you might want to bone up on its provisions from the website (http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/businessinfo/cga/index.html) before returning it so that you know what you are talking about. Use the "Useful Links" at the bottom of the page to go to Consumer's site for more helpful advice.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiki
30-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks Billy, thats an interesting read.

I guess its possible to get a replacement job within the week then :) We'll see how it goes!