PDA

View Full Version : missing boot block URGENT

Hello1
29-05-2004, 05:28 PM
i need help i have no clue what is wrong im on another comp at this moment i start my computer and it says missing boot block or errror

2 lines after it says checksum error

i has a option of reading things from A:/ which is ueseless since i dont know what to do help me please

also at the top it says award bios

beama
29-05-2004, 06:15 PM
more information please
Cpu, ram and type of mother board and age of pc
also Operating System
does it give the option of "press f1 to contnue" NOT a pun, indicates flat CMOS battrey somtimes

45South
29-05-2004, 08:21 PM
It's almost certainly a dead BIOS.
What Motherboard is it? Brand & Model
Not much point in trying to flash it as it won't read the floppy in that state anyway. Even though it is sitting at the A:/ prompt.
If your board has a duel BIOS it may just be a case of swapping a jumper to load the backup BIOS.
More info about your board will help.

Hello1
30-05-2004, 11:39 AM
ok i will post more info but here is what i have so far its a compaq presario 256ram 1.6ghz ati radeon 256mb 9200 this is what it exactly says....

Award Bootblock BIOS v1.0

Copyright (c) 2000,Award Software Inc,

Bios Checksum error

Detecting Floppy drive

Insert System disk and press enter

__________________________________________________ _____

i have made a boot disk and the floopy becomes accesible and now im sitting in dos

Terry Porritt
30-05-2004, 11:59 AM
This error message means that the BIOS may have become corrupted.

You can try replacing the cmos battery, but if that doesnt work, then you will have find and download the correct bios flash file for your motherboard, and reflash the bios.

The 'boot block' enables booting to a floppy for the purpose of reflashing the bios.

You are in fact lucky that you can boot to a floppy, otherwise youi would need to replace the bios chip or the motherboard.

There are usually detailed instructions how to flash the bios included with the file download, but you have to get the precise file for your motherboard make, model and version number.

Lohsing
30-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Hmm... looks like your PC is relatively new... is it still under warranty? Mucking around with a Compaq bios (through flashing, etc) generally voids any warranties... perhaps it might be an idea to take it back to where you bought it and get it serviced?

Lo.

Hello1
30-05-2004, 12:11 PM
ok ive have got more info

its a compaq presario 3601ap thats probaly all the info i can give so please help

Terry Porritt
30-05-2004, 12:41 PM
It sounds very much as though you need to take the computer in for repair/servicing, because the steps to go through will probably be too much for you.

However if you want to persist, first of all use Google to find your computer on the HP/Compaq website, then find the support page/downloads/bios.

Without wanting to seem awkward or snotty nosed , if that is too difficult for you, then you do need a tech to do the work.

45South
30-05-2004, 03:08 PM
I've just had exactly the same scenario on a 2mth old Gigabyte board.
Even though it says insert system disk (A) it wouldn't read any form of boot disk or a bios flash disk.
I sent it back to the supplier who sent it back ro Taiwan, believe it or not. (I would have thought it would have been cheaper to do a quick test then just replace the board)
I've got the board back now with a replaced BIOS chip but haven't fired it up yet.

Terry Porritt
30-05-2004, 09:00 PM
This is the Compaq page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92509&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&dest_page=product&docname=c00007682) you need to start at for downloading and flashing the bios, it gives you all the info you will need.

But I'd say try changing the CMOS battery first of all, and only then if it doesnt work go the bios flash way.

Hello1
31-05-2004, 05:19 PM
ok now i know its a abit bl30g motherboard

45South
31-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Unless you are reasonably experienced & are confident of flashing the BIOS successfully the better to do as others have said & take it back under warranty or to a reputable serviceman.
A failed BIOS flash will render it totally useless