PDA

View Full Version : Printing Formula in XL

B.M.
29-05-2004, 05:20 PM
How does one print the formula pertaining to a cell in XL (Office 2000)?

I Just want to print the formula, not the results of that formula.

Cheers

Bob

godfather
29-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Tools - Options - View - tick "Formulas"

Its a sheet-wide setting not a cell by cell setting.

B.M.
29-05-2004, 06:16 PM
That certainly shows all the formula gf but I still cant print any as even if I choose to print just one cell the formula is truncated. The same applies to printing the page. :(

godfather
29-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Quite obviously the formula will be larger than a standard cell width in most cases.

Therefore just widen the column.

However in Excel 2002 it automatically widens the column here. If it didn't then it would truncate though in most cases.

Is there some reason why you cannot widen the column?

B.M.
29-05-2004, 07:10 PM
I got the cell width out to full screen (1000 pixel) and the formula still didn't fit. (You can see why I want to print it and not re-invent it) :D (Normal cell width 48 pixels)

Lotus 123 lets you print a formula without any problems so I thought XL would also. :(

godfather
29-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I guess my comments would be, that any formula that will not display fully in a 1000 pixel cell at minimum font size is somewhat unusual in size!

And, while I have been using Excel since version 2.0 (runtime Windows under DOS) I have never had the need or desire to print out a formula.

However, as the formula fully displays in the formula bar when you click on the cell, have you considered a copy (from the formula bar) and Paste (perhaps into Word) for one-offs?

It does work in that manner, I have tested it..

Or, remove the "=" from the front of the formula. Then apply text wrap (format - cell) to the cell and the entire formula text will word wrap in the cell.

B.M.
29-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Quite right gf, the formula is somewhat unusual in size. A lot of the size is attributable to lookup commands that refer to other sheets but it’s not run of the mill stuff by any means.

Yes, I can copy and paste it into Word and print it from there but I thought that there may be a simple way as there is with Lotus 123.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Cheers

Bob

parry
30-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi Bob, you can fit 32,767 characters into a cell but only 1,024 characters are visible in the cell - all 32,767 display in the formula bar when the cell is selected.

My understanding is that the print limits are the same as the visible cells so you would only be able to print 1024 characters per cell. That said, it's a hell of a long formula to exceed that many. :-)

B.M.
30-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Actually Parry I’m fully expecting to unravel the “Double Helix” all by myself, but completely by accident of course. :^O

As an aside, I changed to XL from 123 because 123 didn’t like what I was trying to do but XL was fine. Only glitch is not being able to print the formula at the click of the mouse as you can with 123. Never mind, it can still be copied and pasted into Word and then printed.

With a memory like mine it pays to record things, as if I were to have to start again for some reason I’d have commas and brackets missing everywhere. :D

oggy
31-05-2004, 04:03 PM
This works for me on the odd occasions that I need to see a formula printed:
Copy the formula to the next cell down (or somewhere appropriate). Put a ' (the thing that's on the same key as the " ) in front of the = and this then makes the formula into a text value, which will print as if it were text.
If you want to display all the formula on the sheet you can go < Ctrl ~ > although I don't know how much of the formula will print as mine aren't that huge.

leshibbard
31-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Oggy is right, use the label ' and it becomes text.

Doesn't Lotus 123 come up with the slash key "/" in the latest Windows OS!.

Les 3

B.M.
31-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Well that was a bit different guys. Bit of humour here. :)

It printed perfectly, the only problem being it was across the top line of six pages. :^O

(I suppose I could cut and paste using scissors and Sellotape and then paper my office wall.)

One must always maintain a sense of humour when dealing with computers. ;)

In 123 you actually get to Printing Formulas through ( Tools - Audit ) I think Les.

TeejayR
31-05-2004, 11:21 PM
One way that you can do it which may give you what you want is to break the formula up with carriage-returns (alt-A).
Then remove the '=' at the start of the formula and it should display in the cell creating the appropriate row height for it's needs - if not alter the height and print

bk T
06-06-2004, 11:59 PM
It maybe a little too late to your problem. Anyway, I just discover a way to show the formula for printing:

To view formula in a worksheet:
•Press Ctrl + ` (located just above the Tab key), also known as Formula View. Note that when you press these keys the columns become larger. Press these keys again reverts back to value, also known as value view

•Resize each column so that all formulas are viewable

•Preview the print job – it is best to change the Page Orientation to Landscape before printing, also change the Scaling to Fit to 1 page wide by 1 page tall

•Click the Sheet tab and check the Gridlines and Row and Column headings checkboxes so that the worksheet, when printed, can help you decipher the formulas

•Click OK in the Page Setup window.

Cheers