PDA

View Full Version : DVD writers

BobK
29-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A which I am using as a slave drive below an Acer DVD/CD ROM drive. The Sony will operate perfectly when driven by Pinnacle Edition 5 software to produce a video DVD. This would seem to indicate the drive itself is working properly.

The computer is a PC Company with Athlon XP 1700+ CPU and 1 GBt of memory using Windows XP Home.

If the Sony drive is used to produce a CD ROM using the Sonic software, which came with the drive, invariably when the software verifies the copied files, it advises that “some files do not match those on the hard drive” and the copy fails.

This applies if DLA is used to drag & drop files to the disc, or if Record Now is used to produce a data disc or Simple Backup is used to back up files. To see if the software was at fault I used Nero for the same operations with the same result. Inspection of the copied files shows that there are bits that can’t be accessed or are missing. I used Norton Antivirus (updated two hours previously) to check for viruses, none were found. Any suggestions?

Laura
30-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Bump

somebody
30-05-2004, 08:44 AM
It could be possible that files you're burning are being changed while it's burning - eg. log files, or application files which are in use.

The best idea is to first copy all the data you want to backup to a separate folder somewhere, and then burn to CD and see what happens.

BobK
30-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks somebody, this may help so will try although I believe Nero does this by caching files before writing them to disc.

ugh1
30-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Unless the drive & your software supports one of the buffer underun protection technologies I would reconmend changing the writer to the MASTER drive and reducing your burn speed.

Also if the drive & your software does support buffer underun protection then enable it.

I have found that alot of CD burners are not very stable when run as SLAVE devices, even with buffer underun protection.

parry
30-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi Bob, thats very odd. When you say the same thing with Nero I presume you have used Nero's verification as well. A disc may not burn properly if it cant read quick enough to match the writing. This is usually avoided with a large cache, Burn Proof, Jitter Correction and CRC checking options enabled in the burning software.

If you are copying a disc its best to writye an image to the HD then burn the image as disc to disc can often cause problems as one is not in sync with the other.

Another thing that effects speed is the throughput from the IDE channel. Ideally you should have your burner on the primary channel so you should try swapping these around.

hth

parry
30-05-2004, 01:00 PM
oops I meant to say put writer on Master of Secondary channel with DVDROM/CDRW on Slave of Secondary Channel.

BobK
31-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys, I will take on board your advice re making the DVD burner the primary drive and see what happens. Underun protection is working and speeds are x4 as specified. I agree, these drives are flakey!

PaulD
31-05-2004, 11:07 AM
So long as it is clear that what ever reason the CD burner works better as a Master has nothing to do with any sort of rank or priority on the channel. Each device only talks to the controller and the master is not "better" than the slave.

BobK
01-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I tried most of them but finally the need for a backup (daily) and frustration overcame common sense and I bought a new drive. A Pioneer with Nero sofware and everything works perfectly!!! I will probably never know why.

Lohsing
01-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Can I take that DRU510A off your hands?? ;)

Lo.

Big John
01-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I have the same sort of problem with RecordNow my fix was easy. Give up on it because it is the software that is crap. Get something like Nero. I use that all the time now and have never burnt a disk that did not verify okay after.

One other major software burner is strange as well. It will recognise 1 burner (regardless of which one it is) but if there are two there it says only one is a burner and the other is not. Nero sees both and can burn to both fine.

Yes Windows burning is turned off for those who may say to turn it off.