PDA

View Full Version : privacy issue warning

robsonde
29-05-2004, 03:52 PM
this might be a privacy issue depending on your views.....

DidTheyReadIt.com is a new service that will insert a "web bug" in to your e-mail and then track the reading of that e-mail.

you send you e-mail from your e-mail program but you send it to the DidTheyReadIt.com server and it will put in the web bug and resend it to the end user.

when the end user opens/views the e-mail a bit of HTML at the end of the e-mail will get a 1 pixel by 1 pixel graphic from the DidTheyReadIt.com server and so show that you did read the e-mail.

so what? you ask......

not only do they know that you read the e-mail they know when and from where (kind of).

they know how many times you read it and for how long.

so the question is how to stop this from happening to you?

the in coming e-mail has no big flag that says DidTheyReadIt.com.
the graphic is done so you wont see it and even if you did see it, it would be too late......

first thing you can do is to set your mail program to "not display HTML"
this is a good move for more than just this issue, it will also help stop virus problems and it will also stop "web bugs" from other companies.

second thing you can do is to set a entry in your hosts file that points DidTheyReadIt.com to 127.0.0.1 and then the graphic cant load.

links:

for info about what is a web bug and such like...
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Marketing/web_bug.html

for info about adding didtheyreadit to your host file...
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

to try a demo of didtheyreadit.....
www.didtheyreadit.com

Jen C
29-05-2004, 04:19 PM
*Interesting* feature.

You can also set your email client not to download images off servers which will get around this, and is probably a good general practice as well.

Misty
29-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Jen

>>>You can also set your email client not to download images off servers>

How do you do that please ? I use Windows ME and IEv6. Presumed that it would be found in tools>options but no joy (spent ages looking but could have missed). Tried Help but could not locate.
Misty :|

johnboy
29-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Is'nt it In Outlook Express, go to Tools, Options, Read, then select "Read all messages in Plain Text". ???. so images don't download?

Misty
29-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks johnboy !!
Goodnight !!
Misty ;\

kiki
29-05-2004, 06:59 PM
What I want to know is how to stop my browser always sending stuff to www.fastclick.net. Everytime I click on a site it sends something to that server! How to fix?

Elephant
29-05-2004, 08:11 PM
> *Interesting* feature.

True. It is a little like posting "Snail Mail" registered where the person receiving had to sign for the mail. This ensured that the person had received the letter or parcel. This one ensures that someone in the house has received and read the Email.

My view is that this feature may be important for business or legal documents if the sender needs some sort of proof of delivery.
>
> You can also set your email client not to download
> images off servers which will get around this, and is
> probably a good general practice as well.

robsonde
29-05-2004, 08:24 PM
i can see how it could be called a nice feture but i dont like the way it is done so you dont know about it.

it is not a sign here type thing but more of a postman sitting out side your house and when you go to the letter box he takes a photo with out you knowing about it.

Jen C
30-05-2004, 12:22 PM
> What I want to know is how to stop my browser always sending stuff to www.fastclick.net. Everytime I click on a site it sends something to that server! How to fix?

You might want to take a look at the opt-out cookie (http://www.fastclick.net/v4/safe_optout.go) that fastclick.net offers, as well as read their privacy statements. You could also delete all cookies yourself, but you may end up with a fastclick cookie again.

>>You can also set your email client not to download images off servers>

>How do you do that please ? I use Windows ME and IEv6. Presumed that it would be found in tools>options but no joy (spent ages looking but could have missed). Tried Help but could not locate.

Sorry Misty, I forgot that OE doesn't have that specific option. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and one of the options is to block the loading of remote images in mail messages. Other non-OE email clients will also possibly have a similar option.

Jen :)

Misty
30-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Not a prob Jen, johnboy gave me the parameters. I wonder whether johnboy is from my generation and got the name from "The Waltons". My wife said that he had probably had the comment "goodnight" many times because of his name - but I did a scan of his last 30 posts and he had not ! Horror !! - he may not know what I mean !!! :O :O

Interestingly I noted that johnboy often gives advice to look "here". He/she is obviously very proficient at looking things up on the web. From what I could see he/she gives a lot more than he/she receives (by far, and like yourself and unlike me). Hopefully the good people who monitor PressF1 will consider him for a prize !). Just a thought :D
There is a stress about this unisex thing and you cannot relax even when it is "johnboy". You would immediately think that he/she must be male - but then, can one take anything for granted !!!!
I am exhausted ;)
Misty

johnboy
30-05-2004, 07:41 PM
]:)Here (http://timstvshowcase.com/waltons.html) Watched all the time.