PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 not shutting down only after about 8 hours

somebody
29-05-2004, 07:59 AM
I know this topic has been done to death, but I have a problem which I cannot fix. A friend's computer (Pentium 2 300mhz or so, not sure of rest of specs - it's a leased Dell PC) running Windows 98 SE has issues with shutdown. Usually the PC shuts down, but if it's been running for 8+hours then it will hang on the shutdown screen "Windows is shutting down...".

I have applied the Windows 98 Shutdown Patch from Microsoft, and it hasn't helped.

There is also a similar issue with an AthlonXP 2000+ machine which simply doesn't shut down at all - I have applied the patch, but it still hangs at the "Windows is shutting down".

Any ideas anyone?

Megaman
29-05-2004, 08:07 AM
will it restart?

try installing all of th patches. It has been known for microsoft to screw up (make a patch not fix what it was supposed to, but instead fixes another problem :p)

MM

somebody
29-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Yup - it restarts no problem.

Patches: I'll give it a go and see what happens, but I'll have to wait until Monday (because they aren't my computers).

I'm just really confused as to why that particular PC is only affected when it's been switched on for 8+hours, and not less.

Growly
29-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's a program that is trying desparately not to die? and that it knows that a restart will end up in it eventually being turned on again but it feels a shut down warrants too much doubt as to whether it will ever run to memory space again?

pjg54
29-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Might be something to do with the power management, worth a look anyway. It might be turning the power off to the hdd and not turning it back on

somebody
29-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys - i'll give them a go on Monday.